Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Morning_Dew

Goldie

Morning_Dew

Deactivated on request

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged

Some days back I had a discussion on Deepa Mehta's Water with one of my friend. I like Deepa Mehta's work as a good piece of art based on social elements which infact existed in past. However my friend is not a big fan of her , according to her, movies should  show only  good picture of society , because  these days  movies are being watched all over the world and any negative representation cause a damage to the reputation of a country.

What are your thoughts? Smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Movies - Representation of a country" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Morning_Dew

Some days back I had a discussion on Deepa Mehta's Water with one of my friend. I like Deepa Mehta's work as a good piece of art based on social elements which infact existed in past. However my friend is not a big fan of her , according to her, movies should  show only  good picture of society , because  these days  movies are being watched all over the world and any negative representation cause a damage to the reputation of a country.

*sar peetna* Confused So if there are evils in a country, they should be swept under the carpet and hope they disappear?? As if no one will ever visit the country and see the true picture!! There is gross overgeneralisation everywhere, but that doesn't mean we gloss over for the sake of reputation. In any case, our mainstream cinema is already doing the job of showing a positive side - haseen waadiyon mein hamesha naachtey gaatey Bharatvaasi LOL

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 11:44am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged
Yes your friend is veri right.. Why would one wash their dirty linen in the public. If somebody wants to find out they are free to do so.. After all a wife doesnt introduce her husband as "Meet xyz, my husband, he snores a lot and belches like a pig, also farts a lot after meals...." LOL LOL

I would rather make a 2 hour film of girls running in bikinis on juhu beach in mumbai or kalangut beach in goa... etc..may be it will go to the Cannes.. too...

Edited by qwertyesque - 06 February 2008 at 12:09pm

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
I agree..Personally I watch the movies for the sole purpose of entertainment...I get a lot of muft ki reality check in real life , now I don't need to buy it for $10/- a piece and spend valuable time of my life getting emotional over some abstract creatures and issuesDead...

Edited to add this:

Yes, movies don't necessarily have to capture the gloom and doom of the country...What's the point???Confused

Edited by raksha.l - 06 February 2008 at 1:16pm

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged

but i do think our movies are a representation of our country. actually our diet. we do love bhel-puri and mirch masala, dont we? Tongue LOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged
Unless movies are explicitly based on reality, they are fiction thats what it is. What gives what fiction represents. It is simply a means of entertainment. For some escapism is entertainment, to others realism is entertainment. Simply give your target audience what they want. Thats that.

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 2:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Morning_Dew

Dewey,  does your friend know movies such as Incredible India exists and Deepa Mehta does not work for India tourism dept and she is not Indian but Canadian resident for all practical purposes. Tongue  Also does she know there is plenty of stuff shown on tv about India that could be construed -ve but no one cares as India is a free country for all to see and make their own assessments.Smile

Btw how come movies like Tere naam and QSQT does not cause any damage to love. Confused 

Edited by lighthouse - 06 February 2008 at 2:43pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top