Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

   

Students appearing for the boards! (Page 2)

persistence Goldie
persistence
persistence

Joined: 11 August 2005
Posts: 1779

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged
I beg to differ....

Not a good idea to cram all into memory. Makes no difference if one can't apply what one learns or even understands enough to apply it in any field. Retention rate is usually improved if one can make a personal connection, too.

US education system has its benefits, but I am so ready to revolutionize undergraduate education system (engineering), reform it....yeah, am planning to put graduate school out of business. LOL ON a more serious note, the best of universities fail to provide education for the real world...not teaching students how to think, to think critically, or learn effectively! The focus is on the 'doing'.... no body relates one concentration to another or makes an effort to go beyond the variables in equations. Angry

A disgruntled ex-undergraduate student,
Disinterested Graduate Student,
Persy LOL
ssammy Senior Member
ssammy
ssammy

Joined: 09 January 2008
Posts: 394

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged

Originally posted by *~sneha~*

hello everyone!
I was just thinking...I am in 10th rite now..and ever since i was came into 9th i suddenly felt the pressure all on my shoulders..Tution for this Tution for that..extra classes..homeworks projects STUDIES STUDIES....not a time for breathing...uuuufffffff....but i do make it a point not to study all the time..but after a stressful day at school..WHO FEELS LIKE COMING HOME and studying?And the competition...the ranks ..marks matter so much in our education system that it has failed in the formation of children..Today...all i see children in 10th studying..STUDYING...studyin...STudying..AND STUDYING..Life aint about studying..its way more than bookish knowledge but our system doesnt give space for that kind of learning..and board exams are JUST HELL..

What is exactly wrong with it?

dear if u think this ell, wait untill u come to 11 n 12 ............

its pathetic .

in 12 it feels like giving up on everything...................

1D_lover IF-Dazzler
1D_lover
1D_lover

Joined: 27 July 2007
Posts: 3490

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:20am | IP Logged
i m in 9th rite now and i m scare about board exams because i promise my parents to secure 89% marks in SSC but can i do this?ufff that's why i m on IF and not studying because there will be no time to enjoy myself in 10th.but on other hands we must'nt be tense if we tense we don't do the things that we want.if u want to do something just jump into it don't care about results try our best and then God knows.chill guys don't be tense.if u think that u can do this u should.
raj5000 Moderator
raj5000
raj5000

Joined: 01 January 2006
Posts: 11737

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:19pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by *~sneha~*

hello everyone!
I was just thinking...I am in 10th rite now..and ever since i was came into 9th i suddenly felt the pressure all on my shoulders..Tution for this Tution for that..extra classes..homeworks projects STUDIES STUDIES....not a time for breathing...uuuufffffff....but i do make it a point not to study all the time..but after a stressful day at school..WHO FEELS LIKE COMING HOME and studying?And the competition...the ranks ..marks matter so much in our education system that it has failed in the formation of children..Today...all i see children in 10th studying..STUDYING...studyin...STudying..AND STUDYING..Life aint about studying..its way more than bookish knowledge but our system doesnt give space for that kind of learning..and board exams are JUST HELL..

What is exactly wrong with it?

Nothing is wrong!! all go through it ..from 5th, 8th, 10th, 12th .... it's competitive pressure, live and try to come out with your best, to ensure best future. At a time of life when you are going great guns, would appreciate that pressure. Take time off's from studies but keep your focus straight, if business is something one doesn't like for God's sake study hard. Kuch saal ki pareshanni then jindagi bhar fun time.

Too_Much IF-Rockerz
Too_Much
Too_Much

-
Joined: 19 November 2005
Posts: 5420

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:44pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by huda_aalekh

i m in 9th rite now and i m scare about board exams because i promise my parents to secure 89% marks in SSC but can i do this?ufff that's why i m on IF and not studying because there will be no time to enjoy myself in 10th.but on other hands we must'nt be tense if we tense we don't do the things that we want.if u want to do something just jump into it don't care about results try our best and then God knows.chill guys don't be tense.if u think that u can do this u should.

Arrey why to promise for any percentage ...always place a safer side by telling i will shock you by my resultsTongue

Try to learn time management.. you will do things perfectly...

If you feel you are browsing lotson IF coz next year you will not be online or less be online then i think thats not possible..Its same like you eating 3 times meal in 1 time and telling i dont want to waste time on food.. so relax chill. 10nt is nothing but a double digit.. So relax...

Too_Much IF-Rockerz
Too_Much
Too_Much

-
Joined: 19 November 2005
Posts: 5420

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

. Kuch saal ki pareshanni then jindagi bhar fun time.

Arrey No bhai.. kyu jhoti tasalli derahe ho..LOL

After studies then job then relation then all..

So like is like always sitting on a Roller coaster...have to alert but one should learn to manage time and accomadate fun in between.

raj5000 Moderator
raj5000
raj5000

Joined: 01 January 2006
Posts: 11737

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Kool Ahmed

Originally posted by raj5000

. Kuch saal ki pareshanni then jindagi bhar fun time.

Arrey No bhai.. kyu jhoti tasalli derahe ho..LOL

After studies then job then relation then all..

So like is like always sitting on a Roller coaster...have to alert but one should learn to manage time and accomadate fun in between.

Life itself is roller caoster, but atleast cna live on my terms, specially when self realization on things like karm kicks in. Ok for one thing no one can stop me to watch my fav. cartoon now LOLLOL isn't that the reason enough to do ur bit as the age progresses. Embarrassed

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request
Joined: 13 January 2006
Posts: 7780

Posted: 07 February 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

As a student in India I noticed that massive deal is made out of the board exam. True it is an important exam if not the most important, but the best approach is to treat it like just another exam.

The biggest problem is that students, parents, teachers and above all the board place the highest emphasis on learning the information by rote. Education is not a system where we see which student can turn themselves into the biggest human pc and store the maximum data with the best processor. Education should be a process of understanding what we learn and gaining a value added knowledge in our lives through that learning process. It is not how many answers you can stuff in your head, but about what you truly understand.

Chill and enjoy the best days of your life, do not lose sweat over it.

yes, but one cant get the pc to even begin to "think" without the data.

In any case, i think there's a highly misinformed notion out there that schools in india put out just rote learners. true, a lot of students try to take that as a shortcut to really understanding the stuff. but by and large these students dont do well even in our supposedly rote-learning system.

if u take the IITs for example, u cld cram all u want and u'll often barely get past a 0% or a 10% on exams. not an exaggeration. it's another matter that the class average might just be 20% on some exams. for what it is worth, those exams do separate the crammers from the real learners. to make ur As, u have to really know ur stuff. the bell-curves are designed to separate the achievers from the non.

now, switch to american schools. yes if someone's taking lots of APs and getting As on all of them, then they probably have to be good learners. but for the most part, someone can just make As without understanding stuff deep down. just do the assigned material well enuff. that's cramming in my way of thinking.

lastly, if a kid cant do the one thing they are expected to do well enough, it says something about their misplaced priorities, their inability to focus or put in the hard work, or their intelligence, at least at that stage of their lives.Smile

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
JNU Students election with left politics

Author: JayKish   Replies: 0   Views: 668

JayKish 0 668 04 November 2007 at 10:50pm by JayKish
Acceptance of immigrant students?

2 3 4 5 6

Author: season915   Replies: 46   Views: 2253

season915 46 2253 15 July 2007 at 12:10pm by sweet_puneet
Companies BAN/BLOCK message boards/chats

2

Author: velun   Replies: 11   Views: 619

velun 11 619 12 March 2007 at 10:44am by lighthouse
Science vs Arts & Commerce students

2

Author: MNMS   Replies: 13   Views: 4976

MNMS 13 4976 18 February 2007 at 5:37am by souro
The Serials not The Students R......?

Author: S H E H R O Z E   Replies: 8   Views: 516

S H E H R O Z E 8 516 06 November 2006 at 3:12am by ejaz_kavy

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index