Page 7 of 8

Page 1 Page 6
Page   of 8
Page 8 Page 8

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged
I said lyrical extracts which means a few lines of the song, not the whole song. Btw it is Bubbly face and not bothered face. There are many lyrics sites that do have the whole lyrics.

Songs are interpretative true and perhaps you can go ahead an label me as a pervert, but I am expressing the connotation as it is interpreted and implied by an average American and American cultural verbiage.

'Give me the tingles' 'Tingles in a silly place' are connotations used by people in everyday talk to refer to sexual arousal. Tingle as a word can have other meanings and open to other interpretations.

In the midwest people joke about babies being born 9 months after winter. Staying under the covers during rain or snow is often a euphemism for physical intimacy. Of course you can have a more platonic interpretation for it.

'Mmmm' can refer to a delicious bowl of soup. But 'Mmmm' always reminds me of Meg Ryan and the infamous scene in 'When Harry met Sally'. Watch how 'Mmmmm' is used in advertising. Yo Plait Yogurt 'mmmm so good it should be a sin'. The constant link of 'mmmmm' and woman having sensational chocolate eating experiences. 'mmmm you make me feel warm and nice' can take on a whole new meaning. While you are right in your interpretation of 'Mmmm' I think the average American consumer reads it in a different way.

Anyways, I did not make my post to debate the song interpretation. The beauty of music is it holds different meanings to different people. I just wrote what I did simply because it was an ironic coincidence as I was just earlier discussing with friends the insinuations in songs like Colbie Caillait's Bubbly, Vanessa Carlton's White Houses etc.

Btw I do not say Avril is 100% clean, but she has had some 'clean songs' and the grunge style does utilize more clothing. Avril is also a pretty good songwriter who co wrote songs like 'Breakaway' and other clean songs.

The bottom line is, is dirty just a physical concept or a lyrical one too? And does sexual undertone always have to be equated to 'dirty' can it ever be 'natural, emotional, human'?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Vulgarity in music video songs (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

mizz_1818

mizz_1818

Posted: 27 April 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged

Well, you have to look at the context...and you did but in a dirty minded way which mind you makes you a perv.

'Give me the tingles'- Makes her feel tingly which can be nervousness or she can just feel 'warmth' because he is by her side.

'We are hiding in a safer place under covers stayin safe and warm'- Its raining but they are safe under the covers- metaphorically using the blanket as a source of protection from the climate.

'Mmmm'- She says that her man makes her feel 'mmm' which can be reffered to as i said before warm and safe- a good 'vibe' that doesn't have to be sexual .

Sexual references i feel totally comfortable in songs 'cause thats what my job revolves around- people are just expressing theirselves be it about racism or sex- its their opinion and if it's not about me well i don't give a shit about it.

And you said grunge usually covers people up...grunge also involves mini skirts (skirts that mostly end where the thigh starts) AND crop tops (shirts that only cover the chest)...

Edited by mizz_1818 - 27 April 2008 at 11:08am

mizz_1818

mizz_1818

Posted: 27 April 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged
You said "Btw, the west does have some clean music videos. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence have all given plenty of clean entertainment. From Europe we have bands like The Cardinags, The Corrs and who can forget classic ABBA, Beatles & Ace of Base who did have plenty of clean songs"
-you did not specify that you said avril isnt 100% clean.

Edited by mizz_1818 - 27 April 2008 at 11:07am

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 27 April 2008 at 1:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mizz_1818

Well, you have to look at the context...and you did but in a dirty minded way which mind you makes you a perv.

Not a problem. I can be perverted at times, and am not ashamed to admit it. After all slash is worth its salt. Although I wanted to clarify, I did take the song in whole context. When I first heard it, I thought it was a very cutesy childish song. As I heard more and noted some of the references, I figured otherwise. I do not think the 'not so innocent' lyrics make the song 'dirty' at all. Music is about expressing a variety of personal emotions in an artistic sense. Colbie Caillait manages to keep the aesthetics, which some artistes and videos fail miserably in.

And you said grunge usually covers people up...grunge also involves mini skirts (skirts that mostly end where the thigh starts) AND crop tops (shirts that only cover the chest)...

Authentic grunge is jeans (preferably frayed, ripped etc) or cargoes (zipped, baggy) with tees (dark/earth tones, not tucked, at least till belt of pants).

The leather/plaid mini skirts are more to do with goth, emo or post grunge styles that have more influences from pop-rock. The crop tops are also a post grunge, pop-rock influence. Although grunge styles will have ripped, assymetrical tops that do reveal the midriff and navel region. However, I can think of so many traditional Indian outfits that reveal the same.

I preferred Avril when she was more grunge and angry. I cannot stand the new album. If Avril is happy the world must be coming to an end.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 27 April 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged

You said "Btw, the west does have some clean music videos. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence have all given plenty of clean entertainment. From Europe we have bands like The Cardinags, The Corrs and who can forget classic ABBA, Beatles & Ace of Base who did have plenty of clean songs"
-you did not specify that you said avril isnt 100% clean.

I did not know that words like "some" and "plenty of" meant a 100%. I was under the impression that "some" qualified "some not all" and plenty of qualified "plenty of it not all of it".

mizz_1818

mizz_1818

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:49am | IP Logged
I guess since we live in diff. areas our thoughts about 'grunge' are different a 'grunger' in canada
would wear:
jeans: the new style having it ripped on the bottom revealing ur underwear.
plaid shirt: tied up/tight
Lacy Top: which is worn under the plaid shirt
and either boots (which at time can be considered a 'sex object' depending on the style or sneakers.

Enchanted1

Goldie

Enchanted1

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:48pm | IP Logged
sadly,videos are getting more and more vulgur as the years go by....i dont think this will ever stop,this is why we are facing sooo many issues amongst the youth of today,becuse these videos are a bad influence!i think by the next ten years,we will literally be watchin po*n,in almost every video,be it hollywood or bollywood!!!

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 04 May 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged
I think being more expressive is not vulgar.. We generally carry preconceived notions of whats vulgar and whats not... I think erotically dressed and acting women dont make videos vulgar..Somebody mentioned lack of vulgarity by Kelly clarkeson, evancsecen and avril lavigne... Kelly Clarkeson, evanescence Amy lee are too fat to act erotic.. they would look disgusting...just like Rakhi sawant..(normal people would lose their drives to nightmares) even erotica is forte of only certain women with proper body types.... Smile Most women should dress fully to look appealing...only certain can really expose....

Edited by qwertyesque - 04 May 2008 at 2:12pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top