Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Jane* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
As someone already said. Sex sells. Personally, I don't mind either way as long as the song is good and the video itself is on par.

They really ought to put in ratings, though. If/when I'm watching any of these movies and/or music videos with my parents, it tends to get highly uncomfortable when a sex scene comes on and one didn't know that it was there.

Edited by *Jane* - 16 years ago
*Jane* thumbnail
Originally posted by: raksha.l

They are all categorized into different genres, each catering to the tastes of the audiences of that particular genre...So where's the confusion???πŸ˜• If the parents did not want their kids to watch those videos, its their responsibility....And if the grown ups too did not want to watch a particular genre, well, the choice is simply theirs..I use that thing  at the end of my finger tips called remote, wiselyπŸ˜‰...I enjoy the dance and the activity in those videos and stay away from those repelling videos where people remind us of our times when clothes weren't invented yet...πŸ˜•πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I think the confusion comes in when a person doesn't know if the video is rated PG or R.
I don't think genre has much to do with it. Not all romances contain sex scenes and they may contain violence, not all comedies are void of nudity  and may also contain violence. How is one supposed to tell if there's going to be nudity/sex and/or violence without a rating and/or warning?

starcity thumbnail
I remember the olden days when my dadi used to say "wat are u watching, there dancing around half naked!πŸ˜•" to the western songs on TV now I say to her "What are you watching they are all dancing around naked" to asian songs πŸ˜† Edited by starcity - 16 years ago
MonicA#1Actress thumbnail

The only thing needed here is a proper rating system. There is a large audience out there that prefers watching and listening to more adult-oriented songs/videos. So just enfore a good rating system, and let the parents do the rest of the censorship.

However, I don't think sex is a "Western" thing,  It exists everywhere. Everytime something the slightest bit sexual comes up, people automatically say it's "westernization", but sexuality is in every culture, ESPECIALLY in a country with more that 1 billion peopleπŸ˜•.

Let me guess, all those 1 billion people were from test-tubes, amirite?

mizz_1818 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

This is the era when video cds have gained popularity more over movie songs.

Vulgarity in movie song at times could be defended as stating demand of the plot (lame excuse most of the time). But prolonging the vulgar scenes and copyiing western styles of music video, is it the right way to enjoy the music. Are we not moving too fast twords westernization? Is there any mid way where we donot destroy our  music and yet enjoy all east west blends.

We always crib for the music we hear as akid. Is our generation going to  feel same way when they grow old. Is this the right way to call our self modern and are these the right traits we are giving to our generation in the name of the music?

Is the vulgarity really required in Music Video. Have we lost taste of good music that we need such videos to keep the interest in music alive ?

Aghhh why do people look at the western society as a bad influence?! Their are some rules about western society everyone uses (e.g integrity-which had started in their morals before anyone elses). I am a mix and i am half western cuz of my dad so yeah i do take it personally when people say that western society has too much vulgar things in it. Well it depends on what you watch! If you watch vulgar videos you will see "dirty" things and if you see a "clean" video; you will see "clean" things. not rocket science people.

Examples:

"Clean" Video: Bubbly: Colbie Caillathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PWfB4lurT4

"Dirty" Video: Sexy Can I: Ray J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeVOnHce37Y

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: mizz_1818

Well it depends on what you watch! If you watch vulgar videos you will see "dirty" things and if you see a "clean" video; you will see "clean" things. not rocket science people.

Examples:

"Clean" Video: Bubbly: Colbie Caillathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PWfB4lurT4

Not to burst the bubble or anything here; but, I find it ironic that 'Bubbly' was listed as a "clean" song. Well the music video is clean, but the song definitely is not. It is quite obvious what the song is about. Lyrical extracts

I get the tingles in a silly place

but we are hidin in a safer place
under covers stayin safe and warm
you give me feelins that I adore

What am I gonna say
when you make me feel this way
I just........mmmmmm

It starts in my soul
And I lose all control

Anyways speaking of "dirty" how about
"shola sa tan behke aake bujha jaa"
"roop tera mastana, pyar mera deewana, bhool koi hamse na ho jaye, raat akeli, mast sama hain, aaj nashe mein saara jahan hain"
"phool ko bahar, bahar ko chaman, dil ko dil, badan ko badan, har kisi ko chahiye tan ka milan"
"raat akeli hain, bujh gaye deep, aake mere pass, kaanon mein mere, jo bhi chahe kahiye, jo bhi chahe kariye"

What is dirtier?
A "Clean" performance of "I touch myself"
or
a stripper singing "ABCD"

Btw, the west does have some clean music videos. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence have all given plenty of clean entertainment. From Europe we have bands like The Cardinags, The Corrs and who can forget classic ABBA, Beatles & Ace of Base who did have plenty of clean songs.
Edited by return_to_hades - 16 years ago
------Edited by return_to_hades - 16 years ago
mizz_1818 thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Not to burst the bubble or anything here; but, I find it ironic that 'Bubbly' was listed as a "clean" song. Well the music video is clean, but the song definitely is not. It is quite obvious what the song is about. Lyrical extracts

I get the tingles in a silly place

What am I gonna say
I just........mmmmmm

It starts in my soul
And I lose all control

Anyways speaking of "dirty" how about
"shola sa tan behke aake bujha jaa"
"roop tera mastana, pyar mera deewana, bhool koi hamse na ho jaye, raat akeli, mast sama hain, aaj nashe mein saara jahan hain"
"phool ko bahar, bahar ko chaman, dil ko dil, badan ko badan, har kisi ko chahiye tan ka milan"
"raat akeli hain, bujh gaye deep, aake mere pass, kaanon mein mere, jo bhi chahe kahiye, jo bhi chahe kariye"

What is dirtier?
A "Clean" performance of "I touch myself"
or
a stripper singing "ABCD"

Btw, the west does have some clean music videos. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence have all given plenty of clean entertainment. From Europe we have bands like The Cardinags, The Corrs and who can forget classic ABBA, Beatles & Ace of Base who did have plenty of clean songs.

you have said the lyrics to bubby are dirty: but i am sorry to say these aren't the correct ones (they are missing tons) Please take in consideration the comments in the brackets are MY OPINIONS

your version:

get the tingles in a silly place

What am I gonna say
I just........mmmmmm

Song version:

But anytime i see your bothered face i get the tingles in a silly place
it starts from my toes and i crinkle my nose (his bothered face..not when she is feeling sexual)

The rain is falliing on my window pain  but we are hidin in a safer place
you give me feelins that I adore (protection from the rain SOOo vulgar)

What am I gonna say
I just........mmmmmm (her boy frind makes her feel warm and nice)

Avril Lavinge has used vulgar-ness in her songs...

"I'm the best damn thing your eyes have ever seen"- The best damn thing (its pretty vulgar she is reffering to herself as a sex object)

"He'll be wrapped around my finger cuz i can cuz i can do it better"- Girlfriend (sooo not vulgar- shes just telling the world she gr8 at having sex)...

Thoughts to ponder and please anyllaze the verse it's put in,!

I said lyrical extracts which means a few lines of the song, not the whole song. Btw it is Bubbly face and not bothered face. There are many lyrics sites that do have the whole lyrics.

Songs are interpretative true and perhaps you can go ahead an label me as a pervert, but I am expressing the connotation as it is interpreted and implied by an average American and American cultural verbiage.

'Give me the tingles' 'Tingles in a silly place' are connotations used by people in everyday talk to refer to sexual arousal. Tingle as a word can have other meanings and open to other interpretations.

In the midwest people joke about babies being born 9 months after winter. Staying under the covers during rain or snow is often a euphemism for physical intimacy. Of course you can have a more platonic interpretation for it.

'Mmmm' can refer to a delicious bowl of soup. But 'Mmmm' always reminds me of Meg Ryan and the infamous scene in 'When Harry met Sally'. Watch how 'Mmmmm' is used in advertising. Yo Plait Yogurt 'mmmm so good it should be a sin'. The constant link of 'mmmmm' and woman having sensational chocolate eating experiences. 'mmmm you make me feel warm and nice' can take on a whole new meaning. While you are right in your interpretation of 'Mmmm' I think the average American consumer reads it in a different way.

Anyways, I did not make my post to debate the song interpretation. The beauty of music is it holds different meanings to different people. I just wrote what I did simply because it was an ironic coincidence as I was just earlier discussing with friends the insinuations in songs like Colbie Caillait's Bubbly, Vanessa Carlton's White Houses etc.

Btw I do not say Avril is 100% clean, but she has had some 'clean songs' and the grunge style does utilize more clothing. Avril is also a pretty good songwriter who co wrote songs like 'Breakaway' and other clean songs.

The bottom line is, is dirty just a physical concept or a lyrical one too? And does sexual undertone always have to be equated to 'dirty' can it ever be 'natural, emotional, human'?
mizz_1818 thumbnail

Well, you have to look at the context...and you did but in a dirty minded way which mind you makes you a perv.

'Give me the tingles'- Makes her feel tingly which can be nervousness or she can just feel 'warmth' because he is by her side.

'We are hiding in a safer place under covers stayin safe and warm'- Its raining but they are safe under the covers- metaphorically using the blanket as a source of protection from the climate.

'Mmmm'- She says that her man makes her feel 'mmm' which can be reffered to as i said before warm and safe- a good 'vibe' that doesn't have to be sexual .

Sexual references i feel totally comfortable in songs 'cause thats what my job revolves around- people are just expressing theirselves be it about racism or sex- its their opinion and if it's not about me well i don't give a shit about it.

And you said grunge usually covers people up...grunge also involves mini skirts (skirts that mostly end where the thigh starts) AND crop tops (shirts that only cover the chest)...

Edited by mizz_1818 - 16 years ago