Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 31 January 2008 at 6:42am | IP Logged

In recent news, there have been incidents of authors who have been walking the thin line between accidentally borrowing from other works and plagarizing them. This includes new author Kaavya Viswanathan (How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life). The latter claims she read the work of Megan McCafferty a few years ago and didn't realize the similarities in her novel and McCafferty's work until recently and even offered an apology.
I personally think it's surely possible to accidentally plagarize someone else's work because you never know what's been buried in your subconscious only to reappear at a much later date. However, it looks like McCafferty's publisher isn't buying the story.

Do you think it's possible to accidentally plagarize someone else's work? Do you believe Viswanathan ?

Source: www.yahoo.com

Edited by cool_pooja - 01 February 2008 at 6:20am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Plagarism or Honest Mistake?" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 01 February 2008 at 3:09am | IP Logged
i Havent read the book by McCafferty's corncerned.
But I have read Opal...
It was a strictly OK book...at times gets tad Boring..

anyways I dunno if it was involuntary mistake coz of the impact it had on Kavya or it was coz of the lack of originality and so she decided to steal a bit from sumthing else..
We cannot pass the judgement But there are times when both cases occur.

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 01 February 2008 at 6:19am | IP Logged
Well to be honest i havnt read both, i just got the news from yahoo.com..LOL But i feel again it can be both, however these mistakes are usually rare if dey r too many similarties! Embarrassed

Pensive

Goldie

Pensive

Posted: 16 February 2008 at 7:09am | IP Logged
Ah well i havent read any of these books..but my question is Where exactly is the line on plagarism drawn? Are we to declare that Milton's Paradise Lost is a "plagarism" of the Bible? Is Virgil's Aenead to be seen as a mere plagarism of Homer....Indeed, did not Shakespeare "plagarize" nearly all of his narratives?Ouch

Or is it just To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism ; to steal it from many is research"  Confused

Edited by angel_wings - 16 February 2008 at 7:13am

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 17 February 2008 at 6:25am | IP Logged
Nice Point Vanishta.. Clap Well for me Plagarism is where you end up copying not only the main plot of the storyline but the way the story develops and the characters move in the story.. Embarrassed

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 17 February 2008 at 7:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angel_wings

Or is it just To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism ; to steal it from many is research"  Confused

I take the issue up with u on that note...Not all Novels are "treatises". Often what makes a good book (I am not refering to Fantasy fictions but rather more realistic works) is what cums into the authors mind instinctively. Experience is often(Not always, But moslt in Realistic Fiction, I feel it is) what makes a good Book.
a Treatise on the other hand is rather a work on speculated facts. For example, how many people write and rewrite Epics...the same ones in different manners but many of which are the same story basically. But are they Novels? Isnt it rather befitting to call hem Treatises? If one person has read numerous such works on History and written a work by himself inspired by those he has read, here indeed it is a "research".
But in the current case under scrutiny, ie: Opal Mehta...It hardly qualifies a good Novel forget a treatise.
so I wud say "Plagiarism" differs acc to situations and the Kind of Books which have been blamed so...

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 17 February 2008 at 7:33am

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged

Have a look at the Sample passages below and judge for yourself if Vishwanathan copied or not. 

McCafferty's book Viswanathan's novel
page 7: "Bridget is my age and lives across the street. For the first twelve years of my life, these qualifications were all I needed in a best friend. But that was before Bridget's braces came off and her boyfriend Burke got on, before Hope and I met in our seventh grade Honors classes." page 14: "Priscilla was my age and lived two blocks away. For the first fifteen years of my life, those were the only qualifications I needed in a best friend. We had bonded over our mutual fascination with the abacus in a playgroup for gifted kids. But that was before freshman year, when Priscilla's glasses came off, and the first in a long string of boyfriends got on."
page 23: "Though I used to see him sometimes at Hope's house, Marcus and I had never, ever acknowledged each other's existence before. So I froze, not knowing whether I should (a) laugh (b) say something (c) ignore him and keep on walking." page 49: "Though I had been to school with him for the last three years, Sean Whalen and I had never acknowledged each other's existence before. I froze, unsure of (a) what he was talking about and (b) what I was supposed to do about it."
page 23: "He's got dusty reddish dreads that a girl could never run her hands through. His eyes are always half-shut. His lips are usually curled in a semi-smile, like he's in on a big joke that's being played on you but you don't know it yet." page 48: "He had too-long shaggy brown hair that fell into his eyes, which were always half shut. His mouth was always curled into a half smile, like he knew about some big joke that was about to be played on you."
page 68: "Tanning was the closest that Sara came to having a hobby, other than gossiping, that is. Even the webbing between her fingers was the color of coffee without cream. Even for someone with her Italian heritage and dark coloring, it was unnatural and alienlike." page 48: "It was obvious that next to casual hookups, tanning was her extracurricular activity of choice. Every visible inch of skin matched the color and texture of her Louis Vuitton backpack. Even combined with her dark hair and Italian heritage, she looked deep-fried."
page 213: "He was invading my personal space, as I had learned in Psych. class, and I instinctively sunk back into the seat. That just made him move in closer. I was practically one with the leather at this point, and unless I hopped into the backseat, there was nowhere else for me to go." page 175: "He was definitely invading my personal space, as I had learned in Human Evolution class last summer, and I instinctively backed up till my legs hit the chair I had been sitting in. That just made him move in closer, until the grommets in the leather embossed the backs of my knees, and he finally tilted the book toward me."
page 237: "Finally, four major department stores and 170 specialty shops later, we were done." page 51: "Five department stores, and 170 specialty shops later, I was sick of listening to her hum along to Alicia Keys..."
second novel, page 69: "Throughout this conversation, Manda acted like she couldn't have been more bored. She lazily skimmed her new paperback copy of Reviving Ophelia—she must have read the old one down to shreds. She just stood there, popping another piece of Doublemint, or reapplying her lip gloss, or slapping her ever-present pack of Virginia Slims against her palm. (Insert oral fixation jokes, here, here and here.) Her hair—usually dishwater brown and wavy—had been straightened and bleached the color of sweet corn since the last time I saw her...Just when I thought she had maxed out on hooter hugeness, it seemed that whatever poundage Sara had lost over the summer had turned up in Manda's bra." page 48: "The other HBz acted like they couldn't be more bored. They sat down at a table, lazily skimmed heavy copies of Italian Vogue, popped pieces of Orbit, and reapplied layers of lip gloss. Jennifer, who used to be a bit on the heavy side, had dramatically slimmed down, no doubt through some combination of starvation and cosmetic surgery. Her lost pounds hadn't completely disappeared, though; whatever extra pounds she'd shed from her hips had ended up in her bra. Jennifer's hair, which I remembered as dishwater brown and riotously curly, had been bleached Clairol 252: Never Seen in Nature Blonde. It was also so straight it looked washed, pressed and starched."
first novel, page 217: "But then he tapped me on the shoulder, and said something so random that I was afraid he was back on the junk." page 142: "...he tapped me on the shoulder and said something so random I worried that he needed more expert counseling than I could provide."
first novel, page 46: "He smelled sweet and woodsy, like cedar shavings." page 147: "...I had even begun to recognize his cologne (sweet and woodsy and spicy, like the sandalwood key chains sold as souvenirs in India.)"
second novel, page 67: "...but in a truly sadomasochistic dieting gesture, they chose to buy their Diet Cokes at Cinnabon." page 46: "In a truly masochistic gesture, they had decided to buy Diet Cokes from Mrs. Fields..."
second novel, page 68: "'Omigod!' shrieked Sara, taking a pink tube top emblazoned with a glittery Playboy bunny out of her shopping bag." page 51: "...I was sick of listening to her hum along to Alicia Keys, and worn out from resisting her efforts to buy me a pink tube top emblazoned with a glittery Playboy bunny."
second novel, page 88: "By the way, Marcus wore a T-shirt that said THURSDAY yesterday, and FRIDAY today."

page 170: "He was wearing an old, faded gray sweatshirt that said 'Tuesday' on it. Except that today was Thursday."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaavya_Viswanathan

Edited by Morgoth - 19 February 2008 at 11:39am

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 3:28am | IP Logged
^^Now Boy thats Copy Paste with a few Changes vagrantly
and why in the world did Kavya write almost the same thing..so idiotic of her for one thing! LOL LOL Sumone or the other was bound to notice!Confused

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 20 February 2008 at 3:29am

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.