TN assembly debates on Shriya's outfit

OLGNES thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

It might sound unbelievable but it is true. The valuable time of Tamil Nadu assembly was spent to discuss on what the likes of Shriya and Namitha should or should not wear in public places. On Monday (Feb 28), Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK), a partner of the ruling alliance, launched an attack against the way the actresses dress in public places and on television.

PMK Chief Whip T. Velmurugan started the debate on which TN assembly spent considerable time. The debate was revolving around the dressing of the Kollywood girls and the "obscene shows" aired by the Tamil television channels. Some even suggested that the government should impose a dress code after seeing Shreya, and another Tamil actress Namita (left), in "revealing" clothes.

Some members went to the extent of suggesting that action must be taken so that public decency is maintained. Velmurugan launched an attack against Tamil television channels, including 'Kalaignar TV', accusing them of "airing vulgar programmes which could spoil younger generation".

He referred to Namitha's wardrobe in the popular dance show Maanada Mayilada on Kalaignar TV, where she is one of the judges for the programme. He also drew the attention of the august house towards Shriya's "improper" attires at various events including the recent 'Sivaji' silver jubilee function attended by Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.

The Electricity Minister Arcot Veerasamy said that no dress code could be enforced through a law. "All that we can do is to advise them to be appropriately dressed for the occasion" the Minister said.

The debate was over after the Minister's reply but the fallout of the debate might have an impact on the freedom of the actresses to dress the way they like to.

sources: IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, January 30, 2008]

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

netra_rama thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Has this people got nothing else to talk about? I mean, i know their dressing is ..... you know ... 😳 but to actually sit and form a group and discuss it 😕 oh dear!!!!
Karthikka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Nets, this is an august legislative body - who should be concerned with serious matters. Grrr
rojapoooo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
aww, my sentiments exactly -- but on second thoughts,
such discussions could lead to the status of Tamil
serials which occupy the drawing rooms of innumerable
households and stress on the need of a censor body for
TV also??? If that is the outcome, than I do not mind this - It is important to have a mentally sound public and
it is the duty of the Governing body to make sure that
weeding is done at the right time. Hello, do we see a censor board for the TV in the near future????
Karthikka thumbnail
Yes but censoring people's right to wear clothes??? Please, this is a step towards dictatorship. What next? No short hair? No high heels? No make-up?
Who is going to do the weeding? Someone from that political party? Someone like me?

This is very dangerous ground.
rojapoooo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Karthikka

Yes but censoring people's right to wear clothes??? Please, this is a step towards dictatorship. What next? No short hair? No high heels? No make-up? Who is going to do the weeding? Someone from that political party? Someone like me? This is very dangerous ground.

oh no, nothing like that - just the violence to be stopped, quality in serials-
some little logic etc., - i just said that the direction could be towards this -
I am not a control freak and if my post suggested any thing like that, it was
not intended..
jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Karthikka

Nets, this is an august legislative body - who should be concerned with serious matters. Grrr

they are kaarths, they are.... they have now made it compulsory that women will also wear veshti and kurta.  so now in TN nothing else will be sold except veshti and kurta....and that is the new unisex code of dressing in TN.  madisaar maamis will also wear the same...and salute is for ramraj!!!😆😆
usha_pooja thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
this is way too much. But on some occassions clothing should be appropriate but, sometimes it can be a little too much.
Jas super one.
Karthikka thumbnail

Originally posted by: rojapoooo

oh no, nothing like that - just the violence to be stopped, quality in serials-
some little logic etc., - i just said that the direction could be towards this -
I am not a control freak and if my post suggested any thing like that, it was
not intended..

I agree wholeheartedly with that Roj...no, you did not come across as a control freak, I was just concerned bcos it seemed that you found some merit in that half-past six political party. Sorry. 😳

jigglypuff726 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

they've got time to sit & discuss all these matters?😆😆 i think they should just let this women be that way. but if they ever come to the government saying that they've sexually haressed by men after wearing these kind of barely there clothes, the government should not offer them any help or protection.😊

and by the way, i bet you half or nearly all the men there in this so called assembly would have secretly enjoyed this massive shows of cleavage whether they admit it or not. after all, a man's nature is & will always a man's nature.😉