Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

   

Smoking Ban on screen: required?

TallyHo IF-Rockerz
TallyHo
TallyHo

Joined: 01 April 2006
Posts: 9341

Posted: 28 January 2008 at 9:03pm | IP Logged

Let us smoke on screen, says Shah Rukh Khan

Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:47pm IST

NEW DELHI (Reuters Life!) - Actor and smoker Shah Rukh Khan has declined a request by the health minister that he quit cigarettes, at least on screen.

Anbumani Ramadoss, the health minister, says the habits of celebrities such as Khan are an enormous influence on young people. But Khan, Hindi cinema's most bankable star, sees no grounds for censorship.

"I think there is a huge amount of creative freedom that should be allowed in cinema," he told a press conference broadcast on the Times Now news channel on Monday. "It is make-believe ... We should not have huge censorship."

Khan recently played a glamorous Mumbai gangster in the film "Don", which was advertised with a lingering shot of him exhaling slow-motion billows of cigarette smoke at the screen, cut with shots of him in sharp clothes and dancing with beautiful women.

But even if film heroines are not repelled by the habit, Ramadoss is.

"Please don't smoke in your movies, Mr Shah Rukh Khan," the health minister said in an interview with CNN-IBN broadcast on Sunday. "Children are being affected. Fourteen-year-olds are taking to tobacco."

More than half of Indian men and about one in 10 Indian women smoke or chew tobacco, according to government figures.

Ramadoss has been pushing for restrictive laws to put people off the addictive habit, which can cause cancers and other diseases.

He proposed an outright ban on smoking onscreen in 2006 and that tobacco packets be emblazoned with grisly photographs of smoking-related diseases, but neither suggestion has yet made it into law.

However, Khan stressed that he was no advocate for smoking, even if his art requires him to light up occasionally.

"Every time I'm in front of a television channel I always say, 'children, don't smoke, it kills you.'" He told reporters. "It's the worst habit and I want to give it up as soon as possible."

 

- Are film actors role models for the impressionable youngsters?

- Is asking for a ban on smoking on screen an intereference with the creativity of film makers?

- What about alochol... should that be banned too?

- How far is too far  for censorship in cinema?

 

 

 

Vinzy IF-Stunnerz
Vinzy
Vinzy

Joined: 03 December 2005
Posts: 27064

Posted: 28 January 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by TallyHo

Let us smoke on screen, says Shah Rukh Khan

Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:47pm IST

NEW DELHI (Reuters Life!) - Actor and smoker Shah Rukh Khan has declined a request by the health minister that he quit cigarettes, at least on screen.

Anbumani Ramadoss, the health minister, says the habits of celebrities such as Khan are an enormous influence on young people. But Khan, Hindi cinema's most bankable star, sees no grounds for censorship.

"I think there is a huge amount of creative freedom that should be allowed in cinema," he told a press conference broadcast on the Times Now news channel on Monday. "It is make-believe ... We should not have huge censorship."

Khan recently played a glamorous Mumbai gangster in the film "Don", which was advertised with a lingering shot of him exhaling slow-motion billows of cigarette smoke at the screen, cut with shots of him in sharp clothes and dancing with beautiful women.

But even if film heroines are not repelled by the habit, Ramadoss is.

"Please don't smoke in your movies, Mr Shah Rukh Khan," the health minister said in an interview with CNN-IBN broadcast on Sunday. "Children are being affected. Fourteen-year-olds are taking to tobacco."

More than half of Indian men and about one in 10 Indian women smoke or chew tobacco, according to government figures.

Ramadoss has been pushing for restrictive laws to put people off the addictive habit, which can cause cancers and other diseases.

He proposed an outright ban on smoking onscreen in 2006 and that tobacco packets be emblazoned with grisly photographs of smoking-related diseases, but neither suggestion has yet made it into law.

However, Khan stressed that he was no advocate for smoking, even if his art requires him to light up occasionally.

"Every time I'm in front of a television channel I always say, 'children, don't smoke, it kills you.'" He told reporters. "It's the worst habit and I want to give it up as soon as possible."

 

- Are film actors role models for the impressionable youngsters?

- Is asking for a ban on smoking on screen an intereference with the creativity of film makers?

- What about alochol... should that be banned too?

- How far is too far  for censorship in cinema?

 

If govt not ready to bann the product...On screem bann karke faida kyaaa........!!!EmbarrassedGovt playing double game....Embarrassed

Cinema dhek kar koi smoking start nahe kartha aur choodega be naheEmbarrassed....But govt can make law...like public smoking bann or aware people...Embarrassed

 

 



Edited by Believe - 28 January 2008 at 10:00pm
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Joined: 27 January 2007
Posts: 13897

Posted: 28 January 2008 at 11:36pm | IP Logged

Here's a link to a somewhat similar discussion:

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=685958

and a oldie topic with not much discussion:

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50923

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Joined: 27 January 2007
Posts: 13897

Posted: 28 January 2008 at 11:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Cinema dhek kar koi smoking start nahe kartha aur choodega be naheEmbarrassed....But govt can make law...like public smoking bann or aware people...Embarrassed

I agree with you Believe.

Films doesn't show actors inhaling whiteners or gums like Fevicol, but some 14yr olds in India also take that up. Can't always blame films for everything IMO.Embarrassed

raj5000 Moderator
raj5000
raj5000

Joined: 01 January 2006
Posts: 11737

Posted: 29 January 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Here's a link to a somewhat similar discussion:

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=685958

and a oldie topic with not much discussion:

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50923

Thanks Souro... Looks are agrueable statements and diff twist to topic here...based on responses might consider merging.

Will be back with my responses on the topic later... I don't recall but saw an interview or heard before that SRK has called it quits.... may be am wrong... bold statements to make...

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Joined: 12 November 2006
Posts: 13617

Posted: 29 January 2008 at 10:17am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Anuradha IF-Veteran Member
Anuradha
Anuradha

Joined: 29 October 2005
Posts: 16342

Posted: 29 January 2008 at 11:25am | IP Logged
There are many people who are influential.. In India, actors and actresses are gods LOL and they are followed blindly.. So, it is necessary that smoking should be banned on screen...
SholaJoBhadkey IF-Dazzler
SholaJoBhadkey
SholaJoBhadkey

Joined: 23 August 2005
Posts: 2672

Posted: 29 January 2008 at 11:31am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Anu.Rad

There are many people who are influential.. In India, actors and actresses are gods LOL and they are followed blindly.. So, it is necessary that smoking should be banned on screen...

In the past only the bad guys smoked. People smoked even then. Now don't say Pran, KN Singh, Prem Chopra et al were treated as role models. LOL

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
Kids and NEW Smoking bans in Uk?

Author: Cute_Tulip   Replies: 5   Views: 436

Cute_Tulip 5 436 06 June 2008 at 6:58pm by amo_amo_aigoo
Alcohol vs Smoking

2 3 4 5 6 7

Author: Morning_Dew   Replies: 50   Views: 3185

Morning_Dew 50 3185 20 May 2008 at 10:29am by lighthouse
Children caught smoking/drinking..!

2 3

Author: *~sneha~*   Replies: 18   Views: 1541

*~sneha~* 18 1541 22 January 2008 at 9:26am by ssammy
no more smoking?

2 3 4 5

Author: raunaq   Replies: 36   Views: 1712

raunaq 36 1712 10 October 2007 at 2:51am by raunaq
Smoking/drinking during pregnancy.

2 3 4 5

Author: mittijalebi   Replies: 38   Views: 1834

mittijalebi 38 1834 18 July 2007 at 10:25pm by mittijalebi

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index