Middle Class values... - Page 7

Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

I got into the origin and history of the word to support my earlier statement that it began as an economic division, and somewhere along the way values became a factor and now we are debating on the premise that values are the only factor which prove whether one is middle class or not. Like economic parameters have changed over the years, so have the values associated with middle class; hence it would be a fallacy to say that all virtues are predominantly middle class values. 😊

No the debate was never about values being the only measure, just that thats the only thing that has sustained the middle class.. I still think middle class comprises a mix of socio-economic factors..

Just cause Warren buffet is second in the forbes list doesnt make him middle classl wrt Bill gates etc...πŸ˜†

Originally posted by Buffie

My question is, why do they claim to be "middle class" even when they so clearly have left the recesses of middle class society long since...Does being "middle class" offer the moral highground, does being middle class automatically connote that one has "values, respect" etc etc ...Does being middle class make these ppl any better than say someone who was a celebrity kid and was born with the proverbial silver spoon in the mouth?

Isn't this all about values??? At some point we had some off-the-cuff remarks about economic divisions, but mostly we have been debating about people clinging to the middle-class tag simply because they want to present themselves as virtuous. No one has disputed Ash's wealth, but her morality has been questioned!

Isn't this all about values??? At some point we had some off-the-cuff remarks about economic divisions, but mostly we have been debating about people clinging to the middle-class tag simply because they want to present themselves as virtuous. No one has disputed Ash's wealth, but her morality has been questioned!

on what grounds? just cos she is good looking!!?? and media has been linking her with some guys to let people have something to talk about!!??

Originally posted by qwertyesque

on what grounds? just cos she is good looking!!?? and media has been linking her with some guys to let people have something to talk about!!??

You mean to say she never had an affair with Salman? In that case Salman can be absolved of the charges of beating her up while they were together πŸ˜‰

There's no smoke without a fire!!πŸ˜ƒ

Miltey hain ek lambe break ke baad - kahin jaiyega nahin πŸ˜†

Edited by SholaJoBhadkey - 16 years ago

Miltey hain ek lambe break ke baad - kahin jaiyega nahin πŸ˜†

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† u hit the nail on the headπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Originally posted by chatbuster

@bold- true. but it aint always for lack of wanting. they are often limited by lack of suitable options in that regard.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

Surely it is not due to limited/  lack of suitable options, it is the culture,values etc.I have a middle class background and still there and among middle class and so called high class. It is all about the person how they live and it is based on how she/he bought up and the culture.

Originally posted by lighthouse

Nitaji, In all classes I believe the desire to copulate and that too with a loved one is same..the percentage of alcoholics in all classes is probably the same.  It is like Qwerty said the lower class cannot afford to hold onto morals and some not all rich neglected souls resort to drugs and/or sex. 

@ bold that is why we get married  and have a family life, other wise go for sannyas. 

Both in villages and metropolitan cities among  the poor almost all men are adicted to alcohol, in some community women are also consuming it.  Thus  more than 75% of the income goes to the tody/alcohol shop.   from this habbit itself they are in poverty.  The children are growing in this environment and automatically they are in the stream.  Among these people an extramarital affair is not a big issue.  In my village there were working class woman (married and had children) had relation ship with the land lords or wealthy men, but their spouses were usually ignoring this If there is any objection from the wives of these men, they get torture. Usually they submissively accept the truth.(now there is changes)

In higher class both women and men are liberated and their way of life is accepted.(even there is a usage "society ladies") no need to tell about alcoholism.

I have to admit that the percentage of alcoholism and extramarital affairs are increasing among middle class also. One of the main reason yougsters (18 to 20) are recuited to  call centres  and get considerable amount of money (more than  that of a clerical staff in  Government service, ie.,, some times more than  the parent). At these age they a don't know how to use it, since they are earning they become economicaly independent and  think not answerable to parents.

Edited by nitasuni - 16 years ago

Not so rare any more, and it's not news because they are not worthy of being hounded by the media.

Yes, middle class is not a news item for media but they are fearing the society they are dwelling.  If a middle class women come after 7 /8 pm the people around her  watch/question her. She has to  bothered about the close society as well as the society as a whole    (due to media).  My house was in the sub urban area (now it is inside the city) and when I had night shifts,   my neighbours ask me about it, eventhough a friendly one, I am forced to explain.  They know nurses and doctors have night shifts,  but I was not one. A middle class women is answerable to the society, but to the high class they donot go with questions, but assume and ignore the low lass. . My borther 's department provide him vehicle and they drop him in house if it is too late. he also forced to answer  friendly neighbours' questions such as "Oh1 you are late yester day, isn't it?" etc. 

They may not be accepted by the middle-class (although the scenario is changing quite rapidly) but it's happening and there's no denying it. If there are "middle class values", they are being eroded.

Yes, agreeing the scenario is changing, but the middle class values are not totally eroded. Aberrations are there even in the past.

Like it was stated earlier - there are only good values and bad values. πŸ˜›

Eventhough I am residing in Kerala, my children are watching Hindi channels due to their friendships with North Indian  students.  Since most of their friends ban Ash from their living room my kids are also ban her. Now the teen age girls around here are not impressed with her and with attitude to  general public. I have no comments since I watch flims and serials very rarely.But not promoting her character, it is not middle class, but opportunist.