Book Talk

Ur biggest disappointment in 2007 (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 26 January 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by lucky_lakshmi

Omg so many ppl have been disappointed by P.P...Inspite of it beign sucha Acclaimed Classic..N I just love it so Its a Shock for me!!!LOLEmbarrassed

Yup.. I just even realized dat and im sorry to say but im one of those ppl who has been dissapointed by id!Embarrassed

Originally posted by cool_pooja

Originally posted by lucky_lakshmi

^^^wow of Shakespeare....If u dun remember the name...can u just tell whats the story abt...I just love Shakespeare Smile

Well i usually love shakespeare (I loved Winter's Tale and Macbeth paticularly) however dis paticular one dissapointed me.. Its the one where dis girl disguises herself as man and den falls in love etc.. It also has the poem "Under the Greenwood Tree"Embarrassed

Oh I see..are u referring to 'As U like It'?

Yup thats the one.. I cudnt rememer the name but it is the one.. It really failed to impress me!Embarrassed

have u tried Midsummer Night's Dream???Smile Its a Hilarious One...Shakespeare is an unparalleled Great...Greatest Play Writer ever without doubtEmbarrassed (though I myself court Novels betterEmbarrassed)

What is id abt?Embarrassed

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Ur biggest disappointment in 2007 (Page 2)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 26 January 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged
^^^Midsummer Nights Dream is a outrageously and stupidly comical classic..Its just goddamn hilarious...Dun make me explain it the story is damn stupid..Its just a comedy of Errors!! Wink

kabeeraspeaking

IF-Sizzlerz

kabeeraspeaking

Posted: 07 February 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged
Pride and Predujice is an okay book for me. Some of the scenes are written in faboulously, while others had me going "Meh."

I just finished re-reading Jane Eyre, and I fail to see the hype around it. Jane herself, I found annoying to no end, inflicting sacrifices on herself, without a reason. And I'm guessing I'm actually from the few (if none) who wanted her to get married to St. John and travel to India. Rochester on the other hand is alright, while Adele has to be the only likable character.

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 3:40am | IP Logged
^^^Hey Rochester isnt just "alright"! now Edward Fairfax Rochester is my personal fav character in all the novels I have read as of now..Uh Oh...nay pehaps fav characters well Prince Myshkin fights too hard Edward(aww sorry Prince U hate fighting but stupid me I am in need of a better expression!)Embarrassed--actually Edward may lose to the Prince afterall! well The Prince is like Christ (yep literally! Read "The Idiot" to know why I say this!Big smile) u cant help loving this Idiot!
But Edward is kinda like My dream manEmbarrassed even more than Darcy... I wud choose Mr Rochester over Mr Darcy any given day...Darcy scores in Looks n perha[ps superiority as a man, But Rochester scores in my heart! Embarrassed Lolz Rochester I wud love to Date him!!! *sigh*!Embarrassed

as for Jane..well I cant agree quite but it depends on Perception. I didnt find her "inflicting sufferings on herself" all the time. she wasnt a tragic heroine as she is often said to be.
hell I didn't like Rivers at all.. LOL I found him an unconvincing person in life, for a man who doesnt do justice to his own heart, how can he serve God?! Confused Confused His intentions were Noble n all agreed, but all said and done, a man who deceives himself (he loves a young Lady whose name I forget but tells himself to distance herself from such 'temptations' bcoz of the supreme cause) cannot deceive himself into anything more noble with all purity and complacency of heart

But as I said depends on how u perceive it.

at the end of the day, Jane Eyre is the simplistic Love Story of Rochester and Jane and NOT of Jane and St John. Jane can never love St John and Mind had she married him, THAT would have made her a irritating woman who inflicts pain om herself. She listened to her Love when it counted and that brought her to Edward and its all cums down to that purity of this love
Big smile Oh how I love that conversation b/w Edwards and Jane at the end by the Garden when they talk abt Rivers...!Embarrassed

Indeed, I dont think as highly of European Literature as I do abt Russian, but still personally, I like Jane Eyre for that very simplicity. It isn't a complex Classic and though I adore characters who beat the bush n Classics which need much thinking from the reader the most, a break from that by reading a nice cosy lil sweet love story isnt unwelcome! Wink Big smile

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 08 February 2008 at 3:57am

kabeeraspeaking

IF-Sizzlerz

kabeeraspeaking

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 6:58pm | IP Logged
@lucky_lakshmi: Like you said, I guess, it's all in the mindset you read with. I expected it to be something like Little Women, maybe...and Jane is very, very different from the March girls, who are extremely likable characters. Anyhow, the comparison isn't between the two books, and they aren't even close in plot, so that remains basless and upon oppinion alone.

Now as to Jane inflicting sacrifice: An example would be her behavoir towards Mr. Rochester during the period of engagement. Yes, I find that she was right in believing that she shouldn't overstep herself, but I found her rather curt with him, without a reason. Maybe she was playing the tease, but it made me think that once she was sure of having atleast the idea of him, she tried to take it away from herself. Why not live in that moment, rather than worry over what will be or what should be? But, then again, I guess, that is more of my own personal judgement and thinking that conflicts with a rather humanely-flawed character.

Two parts where I found Mr. Rochester very charming indeed (and my only favourite parts, I guess):

-He dresses up as the witch inorder to find out what Jane thinks of him.
-Upon Jane's request to leave for Gateshed, they have a conversation outside the billiards room, where it seems like he doesn't want to let her go, and prolongs talking to her.

About St. John: Do you think a woman like Jane or Rosamond (his lover) could change him? I thought so, as we see a pretty vunerable side of him, one night as he pours himself out in front of Jane, regarding the "temptation" there is in the thought of marrying Rosamond. If prodded and poked in the right places, I think, St. John would be quiet a manageable man. Or maybe I just carry around a wishful oppinion, that everyone has the innate ability to change.

Mr. Darcy over Mr. Rochester anyday, for me! LOL

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged
^^^ Lolz... Darcy and Rochester always fight it out dont they?? I have lost count of the number of times I have indulged in discussions of whoz best?? well I choose the best IMO... Wink Big smile Bcoz who here is so complacently good enof to actually judge other humans?
I love Darcy I have to say...I have grinned a lot while reading PNP all those times he just cudnt stop gazing at Lizzy!LOL and how he says "Indeed I dont dare" to Lizzy's challenge at him "dare to despise me now!"Wink--too good!
But I adore Rochester for his flawed yet resurrected character, for loving Jane so truly and genuinely, he doesn't hide his emotions and wasnt afraid to express that..I love THAT openness in him very much...and when he said "Bertha..." and goes on top of the burning house to save Bertha who jumps down anyways and the consequents happenings show the penance he paid, and all the while, never a bad man at heart, but indeed a flawed man...
In a group of angels, a human pays the friendliest welcome to another equally fLawed Human and so do I!Big smile
I love all the parts Rochester is dere in the Novel so I cud list out them all! The troubled, sardonic and attractive Mr Rochester I just go crazy behind 'im! -sumtimes u dont need a reason to like a character..it happens just like that..inexplicable but still too strong at attraction to that character..Rochester is one such for me.

as for Little Women, I cant comment for I havent read it yet.

Now as to Jane inflicting sacrifice: An example would be her behavior towards Mr. Rochester during the period of engagement. Yes, I find that she was right in believing that she shouldn't overstep herself, but I found her rather curt with him, without a reason. Maybe she was playing the tease, but it made me think that once she was sure of having atleast the idea of him, she tried to take it away from herself. Why not live in that moment, rather than worry over what will be or what should be? But, then again, I guess, that is more of my own personal judgement and thinking that conflicts with a rather humanely-flawed character.

Oh no...I wud take up the argument here with u on that note.
Human being are complex things man LOL Wink wasn't it the greatest writer evr (acc to meEmbarrassed) who once said rightly that "A human heart has the most interesting yet contrasting of 'values' and 'ideals' "
U cannot predict how sumone SHOULD MANDATORILY behave put in a situation.
Jane was overwhelmed at this concerned instance, but she was a sane human being with as much uncertainty and insecurity as any other in her position.
she may have behaved quite childishly yet the most realistically in that situation, that is maintain as much as composure as possible and not crossing herself in her happiness which cums to much of her surprise!
Is she worthy of this??? To be so, she must be so! Wink
Dont crave for greatness of mind or an all knowing understanding behavior from a simple girl at the threshold of a happy life at this moment...thats often not attained...

About St. John: Do you think a woman like Jane or Rosamond (his lover) could change him? I thought so, as we see a pretty vunerable side of him, one night as he pours himself out in front of Jane, regarding the "temptation" there is in the thought of marrying Rosamond. If prodded and poked in the right places, I think, St. John would be quiet a manageable man. Or maybe I just carry around a wishful oppinion, that everyone has the innate ability to change.

St. John he was so irritating to me boy! LOL I as I said b4 found him a very unconvincing Man of God...God is in ur heart, u deceive ur heart to serve God..what Irony?!
This was the overall Impressions he crated on me...I am not valuing each n every nook of his personality...there may be several good qualities..he may have gone ahead to be a Great man..but all said and done..at the end of the day, I felt him to be a man who lost his life bcoz he didn't understand that listening to ur heart and not inflicting pain on urself and others is the best way to serve God...
n I dont call him a unmanageable Person..Boy wasnt Darcy such a kind of a guy at the first impression!? LOL Irritating is much diff from unmanageable..

so lets just say..to each his own...Its a matter of how u view and perceive things and we think the way we want to and we believe what we want to what others say arent generally as intelligent as what we do isnt it!?
another great author once claimed "No one is satisfied with their fortune, but everyone is satisfied with their intelligence!"LOLWink

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 08 February 2008 at 9:48pm

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 09 February 2008 at 3:38am | IP Logged

Originally posted by ftm_ca

Pride and Predujice is an okay book for me. Some of the scenes are written in faboulously, while others had me going "Meh."

I just finished re-reading Jane Eyre, and I fail to see the hype around it. Jane herself, I found annoying to no end, inflicting sacrifices on herself, without a reason. And I'm guessing I'm actually from the few (if none) who wanted her to get married to St. John and travel to India. Rochester on the other hand is alright, while Adele has to be the only likable character.

I LOVED Jane Eyre! It was heart touching!Big smile However i read it around 5 yrs ago, so maybe i would even like it now.. Yes i also wanted Jane to get together with St. Jone but i also liked her with Mr. Rochester!Embarrassed

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 09 February 2008 at 11:32pm | IP Logged
^^lOlz..this is so interesting..so many ppl here wanted Jane with Rivers
seems we have sum diff tastes here...suddenly I see many disliking PnP, n now really wanting Jane wto be with Saint John... LOL

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Book Talk Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.