Debate Mansion

The greatest king in Indian history? (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 9

Page 1 Page 7
Page   of 9
Page 9 Page 9

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 January 2008 at 12:17am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The greatest king in Indian history? (Page 8)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

...M...

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 22 January 2008 at 12:24am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

nitasuni

nitasuni

Posted: 22 January 2008 at 5:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by nitasuni

Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by sareg

Shivaji was coronated somewhere in the 1670's he died in 1680, the Maratha Empire grew to all corners of the country and met its demise at the hands of the British in the late 1700(that is a decade and half after Shivaji Died), so is it incorrect statement to say he laid a foundation to an empire(anything that encompases more than 2/3rd of the nation can be considered an empire, cant it? well if that is not an empire than basically none of the Indian kings ever had an empireWink)

The area coloured yellow is the extent of Maratha 'empire' in 1760. Honestly does it qualify as an empire, that too in 1760. And does it appear from any angle to constitute 2/3 of the whole country, when an empire is supposed to have several foreign nations.

Source Wikipedia:

Definitely, it is an Empire since they fought against the mughals and then against mighty English who had all novel equipements and guns.  The formation of Maratha empire make a rivival of Hinduism, which is downtroden during the Mughal rule.

In my childhood, I grow up hearing the brave stories of  Samrat Sivaji, Mharana Pratap, PRC and Raja Mansingh of Jaisalvar etc, from my grandma. Then from books.  By hearing the stories from grandma they  become very dear to me as my own relatives.  No other anecient Emperors other than Krishnadeva rayar of Vjayanagara Empire make such feelings.    Only Subhash ChandraBose, Bhagat Singh and Azad  make that feeling.

I am  selfish, my these relatives were much greater than all others.

Fighting the Mughals and the mighty British in 1760.Shocked

Sunitaji you seem to forget that there was not a Mughal emperor worth mentioning after Aurangzeb (during whose time the Marathas achieved li'l) and the British had just won the Battle of Palassey in 1757 and was still in its nascent stage. If they were so great, they would've unified the whole of India and also successfully driven out the British. Why did they fail (that too when there was not much of an opposition from other rulers)??Confused And why was it necessary for them to ruthlessly sack other parts of the country for more than two decades (1740s-1760s) without actually trying to establish administrative control.Ouch

After the death of Aurangzeb Bahadur Shah came to throne in 1707-1712 and released Shivaji's grandson Shahu  from captivity. With the help of Balaji Viswanath Shahu became the king of Maratha.  Very soon the office of Peshawa became most powerfull and authoity of king eclipsed. He was followed by his son Baji Rao in 1720 and started an offensive war against Nizam. He conqured Malwa, Southern Gujarat and Bundelkand and conducted raid up tothe gates of Delhi.(Marathas raids were not for conquest ,their primary interest was on the land revenue of these areas.) Under Balaji  Baji Rao they reached up to Punjab in the North and Bihar,Orissa in the east. By the third battle of panipat their declaine started

Even before the Marathas suffered defeat at Third Panipat, the British conquest of India had begun. (Detailes from a Text Book made by CBSC).

British never made big wars exccept 3rd panipat and Plassey(Palasi in  native language)in India but they conquored teritories by helping them in their wars and was very cunning.

To me Sivaji is great not Peshawas.

Edited by nitasuni - 22 January 2008 at 5:53am

nitasuni

nitasuni

Posted: 22 January 2008 at 5:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by sareg

I still dont know what is the greatest king.

Is he the winner of a large battle? Is he the ruler of the biggest land? is he the most just ruler? is it during his tenure his citizens were the happiest? Did he fight most battles for the right cause of his nation?

I have same doubt. Is it the valor or duration of rule or states conquered or wars won?

Nonetheless, the thread makes an interesting read. Refreshed history, always a favorite. Smile

Surely, it  is the king who make his citizens happy.There is a usage in sanskrit/malayalam "Yadha Raja Tatha Praja'" If the King is good then the citizens are also good. But some part of Indian History is biased, twisted, as argued by modern historians. Even if it is not, the  historians are also  human beings and there may be mistakes.

Edited by nitasuni - 22 January 2008 at 9:17am

nEjI Huga

nEjI Huga

Posted: 03 June 2008 at 10:05am | IP Logged

bhuvana3 wrote:
You are talking abt Shvaji at the prime of his career. He died in Andhra Pradesh, a drunkard. He had fallen to vice and woman n believe me it is not a heros death he died. Atleast PRC died in the battlefield. That is if u choose not to believe the 'hired friends' Prithviraj Raso.

Shivaji he was a great ruler for only a part of his career

What a pathetic display of knowledge...{chuck}...

{just curious}
are you really a retard, or trying to be one?

palkeet

palkeet

Posted: 16 March 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged
ahahhahahaha listen everyone. umm... if the topic is the greatest king in indian history, then PRITHVIRAJ CHAUHAN is in the lead. i am not saying tht there wasnt anyone else who was really great oo. but what prithviraj chauhan has done noboby else has. do u guys think tht killing lion without a weapon is a joke. do u think killing a well settled king bhimdev at the age of 12 or 13 a joke, and what about being crowned at the king of delhi at the age or 13. think atb it. wht is a 13 year old child today. and prc was the king of whole india at tht time. and i have seen couple of people here saying tht he died because of his mistakes or he was into sanyo too much. and what makes all of u say that. where did u guys read all that shit from?. prc was the most valiant king. he has his rules which he never broke. cuz when muhamadd ghori attacked at night time, he still could have defended himself but he didnt wanted to break he rule. actually the rule that all the rajputs or hindus followed.so where is his mistake???? not breaking the rule and not caring about his life? well even after all that he still managed to kill ghori even though he was blinded. do u guys think anyone else could have done that. he was the most skilled full king ever. and then what a death he had. killed him self because he didnt wanted to die from the hands of enemies. and if someone said that he lacked tht rajniti part. then i think you guys are wrong. as u guys saw that he never sat on the throne with peace. he always risked his life to save his praja, even after being the samrat of india. he served his praja rather than making them serving his as a king. and if u talk about cunning part and cleverness. so he was no less. see how he thought of the yudhnities. after all he was the best indian king and the best person ever stepped on earth."JAI JAI PRITHVIRAJ CHAUHAN"

Edited by palkeet - 16 March 2009 at 7:33pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

indraneel1

indraneel1

Posted: 04 August 2009 at 9:28am | IP Logged

The Greatest king in history world is Maharaja Shivaji Raje Bhosale, because the laid the foundations of maratha dynasty on his own with help of his mother, He Fought Adilsahi And Muslims at same time,he loved his subjects more then his own children and fought for hinduism. Some historians feel because of marathas India is Known as "HINDUSTAN".So he is the greatest King in world History.

indraneel1

indraneel1

Posted: 04 August 2009 at 9:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nEjI Huga

bhuvana3 wrote:
You are talking abt Shvaji at the prime of his career. He died in Andhra Pradesh, a drunkard. He had fallen to vice and woman n believe me it is not a heros death he died. Atleast PRC died in the battlefield. That is if u choose not to believe the 'hired friends' Prithviraj Raso.

Shivaji he was a great ruler for only a part of his career

What a pathetic display of knowledge...{chuck}...

{just curious}
are you really a retard, or trying to be one?

Mr Whoever, You are you out of your mind, Shivaji Maharaj was the greatest ruler of all time, he didnot fall for a women but died due to Prolonged illness...................

Post Reply New Post

Go to top