Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Such a nice topic Lashy ji😊

It is tough and not fair to say that so and so King is greatest in Indian History. India was a land of kings and Elephants😆. There were lakhs of great kings in North, East, West and South of India and India means India + Pakisan + Afghanistan + Nepal + Bangladesh + Bhutan. If we consider South Indian Kings..Pallavas, Kakatiyas,Cholas and the kings of Vijayanagara played important role in the devlopment of South India.
  • Krishna Devarya of Vijayanagara Dynasty was a great king. Most of the south India was in Vijayanagara Dynasty's rule...Infact...Krishna Devaraya..resisted the Mughal invasion a lot for several years😊 The shaded part in South India was Vijayaagara Dynasty😊

• Earlier to this Pallavas ruled SouthIndia for several centuries. Their rule was remarkable. They controlled most of south India..(shown below in the green part)

• Prior to Pallavas...Satavahans ruled south India..they were famous andcontrolled most of South India

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 16 years ago
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

From Wiki...

Nandas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanda_Dynasty)

The Nanda Empire at its greatest extent under Dhana Nanda circa 323 BC.

The Nandas are sometimes described as the first empire builders of India. They inherited the large kingdom of Magadha and wished to extend it to yet more distant frontiers. To this purpose they built up a vast army consisting of 200,000 infantry, 20,000 cavalry, 2,000 war chariots and 3,000 war elephants (at the lowest estimates). According to Plutarch however, the size of the Nanda army was even larger, numbering 200,000 infantry, 80,000 cavalry, 8,000 war chariots, and 6,000 war elephants.

However, the Nandas never had the opportunity to use this army against the Greeks, who invaded India at the time Dhana Nanda, since Alexander's campaign terminated in the Punjab. Alexander's campaign terminated in the Punjab because of the powerful empire of Magadha ruled by the Nanda dynasty. Fearing the prospects of facing another powerful Indian army and exhausted by years of campaigning, his army mutinied at the Hyphasis River (the modern Beas River) refusing to march further east.

The Nandas made the methodical collection of taxes by regularly appointed officials a part of their administrative system. The treasury was continually replenished, the wealth of the Nandas being well-known. The Nandas also built canals and carried out irrigation projects. The possibility of an imperial structure based on an essentially agrarian economy began to germinate in the Indian mind.

Mauryans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurya_Empire)

Chandragupta Maurya (BC 320 - 298) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandragupta_Maurya)

Chandragupta's empire when he founded it circa 320 BC, by the time he was about 20 years old.

In 321 BCE, exiled general Chandragupta Maurya, under direct patronage of the genius of Chanakya, founded the Maurya dynasty after overthrowing the reigning king Dhana Nanda. Most of the subcontinent was united under a single government for the first time under the Maurya rule. Mauryan empire under Chandragupta would not only conquer most of the Indian subcontinent, but also push its boundaries into Persia and Central Asia, conquering the Gandhara region. Chandragupta Maurya is credited for the spread of Jainism in southern Indian region.

Ashok (BC 273 - 232) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka)

Map depicting the largest extent of the Mauryan Empire in dark blue, and allied or friendly areas in light blue

The Mauryan dynasty under Ashoka was responsible for the proliferation of Buddhist ideals across the whole of East Asia and South-East Asia, fundamentally altering the history and development of Asia as a whole.

Satvahanas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satavahana)

Gautamiputra Satakarni (78-102 AD)

Gautamiputra Satakarni (also known as Shalivahana) (c. 78-102 AD) was the twenty-third ruler of the Satavahana Empire. He succeeded his father, Emperor Satakarni.

Gautamiputra Satakarni, often acknowledged by historians as the greatest of the Satavahana rulers, took to the throne after his father, Satakarni. Satakarni had earlier expanded the Satavahana Empire and gained considerable prosperity due to his two Aswamedha sacrifices. However, when Gautamiputra ascended the throne, the Satavahana Empire was loosely attached and was facing the threats of invasions from Sakas and Yavanas. However, Gautamiputra defeated the Yavanas, Sakas and Pahlavas and re-established the ancient glory of the Satavahanas.

Guptas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gupta_Empire)

Samudragupta (AD 335 – 380) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samudragupta)

Samudragupta, ruler of the Gupta Empire (c.AD 335 – 380), and successor to Chandragupta I, is considered to be one of the greatest military geniuses in Indian history. His name is taken to be a title acquired by his conquests (Samudra referring to the 'oceans').

Chandragupta Vikramaditya (AD 375 - 413/15)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandragupta_II)

Chandragupta II (very often referred to as Vikramaditya or Chandragupta Vikramaditya) was one of the most powerful emperors of the Gupta empire. His rule spanned 375-413/15 CE, during which the Gupta empire achieved its zenith. The period of prominence of the Gupta dynasty is very often referred to as the Golden Age of India.

Harshavardhana (AD 590 - 647) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harsha)

Harsha or Harshavardhana (???????? 344;) (590–647) was an Indian emperor who ruled Northern India for over forty years. He was the son of Prabhakar Vardhan and younger brother of Rajyavardhan, a king of Thanesar. At the height of his power his kingdom spanned the Punjab, Bengal, Orissa and the entire Indo-Gangetic plain north of the Narmada River.

Harsha's empire at its greatest extent

After the downfall of the Gupta Empire in the middle of the sixth century C.E., North India reverted back to small republics and small monarchical states. Harsha united the small republics from Punjab to Central India, and they, at an assembly, crowned Harsha king in April 606 AD when he was merely 16 years old.

Cholas

Rajaraja Chola
I ( AD 985 - 1014) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajaraja_Chola_I)

Extent of the Chola Empire under Rajaraja the Great c.1014 C.E.

Rajaraja Chola I (Tamil: ??????? ?????) is considered by many as the greatest king of the Chola Empire, who ruled between 985 and 1014 CE. He laid the foundation for the growth of the Chola kingdom into an empire, by conquering the kingdoms of southern India and the Chola Empire expanded as far as Sri Lanka in the south, and Kalinga (Orissa) in the northeast. He fought many battles with the Chalukyas in the north and the Pandyas in the south. By conquering Vengi, Rajaraja laid the foundations for the Chalukya Chola dynasty. He invaded Sri Lanka and started a century-long Chola occupation of the island.

He streamlined the administrative system with the division of the country into various districts and by standardising revenue collection through systematic land surveys. He built the magnificent Brihadisvara Temple in Thanjavur and through it enabled wealth distribution amongst his subjects. His successes enabled the splendid achievements of his son Rajendra Chola I under whom the empire attained the greatest extent and carried its conquest beyond the seas.

Rajendra Chola I (AD 1012 - 1044) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajendra_Chola_I)

Rajendra Chola's Territories c. 1030 C.E

Rajendra Chola I was the son of Rajaraja Chola I, the great Chola king of South India. He succeeded his father in 1014 C.E. as the Chola emperor. During his reign, he extended the influences of the already vast Chola empire up to the banks of the river Ganges in the north and across the ocean. Rajendra's territories extended coastal Burma, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Maldives, conquered the kings of Srivijaya (Sumatra, Java and Malaya in South East Asia) and Pegu islands with his fleet of ships. He defeated Mahipala, the Pala king of Bengal and Bihar, and to commemorate his victory he built a new capital called Gangaikonda Cholapuram. Tamil Chola armies exacted tribute from Thailand and the Khmer kingdom of Cambodia. Rajendra was the first Indian king to take his armies overseas. He also built a temple for Siva at Gangaikonda Cholapuram, similar in design to the Tanjore Brihadisvara Temple built by Rajaraja Chola. He assumed titles Parakesari and Yuddhamalla.

Edited by SolidSnake - 16 years ago
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: sareg

Shivaji was coronated somewhere in the 1670's he died in 1680, the Maratha Empire grew to all corners of the country and met its demise at the hands of the British in the late 1700(that is a decade and half after Shivaji Died), so is it incorrect statement to say he laid a foundation to an empire(anything that encompases more than 2/3rd of the nation can be considered an empire, cant it? well if that is not an empire than basically none of the Indian kings ever had an empire😉)

The area coloured yellow is the extent of Maratha 'empire' in 1760. Honestly does it qualify as an empire, that too in 1760. And does it appear from any angle to constitute 2/3 of the whole country, when an empire is supposed to have several foreign nations.

Source Wikipedia:

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

There were several more large and prominent empires in Indian history, like Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Marathas, Vijayanagara, the Sikh empire, the Mughals etc.

I think apt question would be which was the greatest empire in Indian history, I would go with Gupta Empire.

From wiki...

[quote]The Gupta Empire was ruled by members of the Gupta dynasty from around 320 to 550 AD and covered most of Northern India, the region presently in the nation of Pakistan and what is now western India and Bangladesh. The time of the Gupta Empire is referred to as Golden Age of India in science, mathematics, astronomy, religion and Indian philosophy. The peace and prosperity created under leadership of Guptas enabled the pursuit of scientific and artistic endeavors. Historians place the Gupta dynasty alongside with the Han Dynasty, Tang Dynasty and Roman Empire as a model of a classical civilization.[/quote]

sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

The area coloured yellow is the extent of Maratha 'empire' in 1760. Honestly does it qualify as an empire, that too in 1760. And does it appear from any angle to constitute 2/3 of the whole country, when an empire is supposed to have several foreign nations.

Source Wikipedia:

Afghanistan

Capital
(and largest city)
Kabul
3431'N, 6908'E
Official languages Dari (Persian) and Pashto [1]
Demonym Afghan[2]
Government Islamic republic
 -  President Hamid Karzai
 -  Vice President Ahmad Zia Massoud
 -  Vice President Karim Khalili

hmmm😉

souro thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

Afghanistan

Capital
(and largest city)
Kabul
3431'N, 6908'E
Official languages Dari (Persian) and Pashto [1]
Demonym Afghan[2]
Government Islamic republic
 -  President Hamid Karzai
 -  Vice President Ahmad Zia Massoud
 -  Vice President Karim Khalili

hmmm😉

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

😆

Forgive me I wasn't following this thread closely but these cutie pie emoticons caught my attention...

@Lash, how are you and where are you???

Well,I've completely different opinions regarding the greatest king of India.

Firstly I would like to mention that the main quality required for a king is to look after his subjects well rather than just fighting and acquiring other kingdoms(unless your neighbours call upon a war).The same has been justified by various scholars for example Vidura in "Vidura Neeti" has similar views.

According to me Akbar-The Great was the really eminent king(Believe me.I'm not telling this because Hrithik is playing the role of Akbar).As a fellow debator here said we need to look at the time frame of the situation we are considering.
So when it was Akbar's turn to rule Hindustan the state-of-affairs was totally different from what other kings had experienced.I would like add that he too ascended the trone at a young age of 13.He was a benovalent,wise ruler and many souls confined in one i.e., he was a polymath.One of his ever acclaimed principles is his policy towards to religion.I'll come to that later.

Why is Akbar a Great Ruler?

Unlike others,Akbar didn't lead a life of kingliness in his youth.He had a rough life far in Afghanistan where he spen major part of his youth(It doesn't necessarily mean he was poor)and he was away from his parents for a long time and grew under the care of his uncle and aunt.His childhood didn't allow him to get a formal education at the madrassa yet he had in him the perfect mixture of intelligence,kindness and judgement that an ideal king would have.I really appreciate his efforts in maintaining his territory with effortless ease with minimum of misunderstandings taking place.It is really great on his part to administer a nation mostly consisting of people who have completely different beliefs,religion and way of living in a manner substantial to all.At a period when religious indifferences would lead to serious combats he managed it all smoothly without striking a wrong cord in his efficient administration of about 40 years.He also encouraged art and literature,including Indian ones and he himself was a patron of one.He had great interest and respect towards Indian culture and History can be known by the fact that he had Ramayan written in Persia during his reign.With all these virtuous persona he stands as a magnificient and idyllic luminary of Indian History. 😳
nitasuni thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: souro

Source Wikipedia:

Definitely, it is an Empire since they fought against the mughals and then against mighty English who had all novel equipements and guns.  The formation of Maratha empire make a rivival of Hinduism, which is downtroden during the Mughal rule.

In my childhood, I grow up hearing the brave stories of  Samrat Sivaji, Mharana Pratap, PRC and Raja Mansingh of Jaisalvar etc, from my grandma. Then from books.  By hearing the stories from grandma they  become very dear to me as my own relatives.  No other anecient Emperors other than Krishnadeva rayar of Vjayanagara Empire make such feelings.    Only Subhash ChandraBose, Bhagat Singh and Azad  make that feeling.

I am  selfish, my these relatives were much greater than all others.

Edited by nitasuni - 16 years ago
souro thumbnail

Originally posted by: nitasuni

Definitely, it is an Empire since they fought against the mughals and then against mighty English who had all novel equipements and guns.  The formation of Maratha empire make a rivival of Hinduism, which is downtroden during the Mughal rule.

In my childhood, I grow up hearing the brave stories of  Samrat Sivaji, Mharana Pratap, PRC and Raja Mansingh of Jaisalvar etc, from my grandma. Then from books.  By hearing the stories from grandma they  become very dear to me as my own relatives.  No other anecient Emperors other than Krishnadeva rayar of Vjayanagara Empire make such feelings.    Only Subhash ChandraBose, Bhagat Singh and Azad  make that feeling.

I am  selfish, my these relatives were much greater than all others.

Fighting the Mughals and the mighty British in 1760.😲

Sunitaji you seem to forget that there was not a Mughal emperor worth mentioning after Aurangzeb (during whose time the Marathas achieved li'l) and the British had just won the Battle of Palassey in 1757 and was still in its nascent stage. If they were so great, they would've unified the whole of India and also successfully driven out the British. Why did they fail (that too when there was not much of an opposition from other rulers)??😕 And why was it necessary for them to ruthlessly sack other parts of the country for more than two decades (1740s-1760s) without actually trying to establish administrative control.

Edited by souro - 16 years ago