Substance abusers and Sympathy hmm?

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Regarding people involved in drugs or any kind of substance abuse are routed towards complete self destruction.

At some point in time there are might be some realization based on which they might seek help, should help be offered? Should we have a sympathetic attitude towards them, or do you believe in no sympathy for self destructing individuals ?

What is root cause of substance abuse - individuals who are involved in making drugs available OR  the person in question him/her self?

Edited by raj5000 - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I have something to say on this and will update my post as think it thru ๐Ÿ˜ณ
*Jane* thumbnail
Substance abuse is many times due to peer pressure. If someone they hang out with frequently tells them to do it, they probably will. Everybody wants to fit in and when they're surrounded by friends, family and/or colleagues, who are addicts, on a daily basis, it's not easy for them to say no.

Once they try it, though, chances of them getting addicted is high. They know it's wrong, they want to quit but it's a hard road to finding the willpower to do so. If/when they find the strength to quit then they need help from those who care to help them through this otherwise they will fall back on drugs/alcohol to ease away their pain and/or loneliness.

So, IMO, if a one cares about that person, they need to let them know and help them through so they can one day lead a healthy life that is not only beneficial to them and those around them but the society as a whole.

Originally posted by: raj5000

Regarding people involved in drugs or any kind of substance abuse are routed towards complete self destruction.

At some point in time there are might be some realization based on which they might seek help, should help be offered?

Definitely, many can't do this alone.

Should we have a sympathetic attitude towards them, or do you believe in no sympathy for self destructing individuals ?

If they want help, and one cares for their heath, then why shouldn't one?

What is root of substance abuse individuals who are involved in making drugs available or the person in question him/her self?

I'd say the blame lies in both fifty/fifty.
Dealers don't get business without those who want their product and those who use the products can't get it without the aid of the dealers.

no doubt at all. self destruction is what they r heading for and if they happen to be adults responsible for their families, they end up destroying the family as well.

At some point in time there are might be some realization based on which they might seek help, should help be offered?

help should definitely be offered to all the first time around.  if they fall off the wagon again, then i'll make this determination on a case by case basis.  my pov will be different for the ones related to me, for teenagers, and for those who r trying to deal with some major tragedy in life and that's why they ended up falling off the wagon again.  but for all other adults who indulge in substance abuse just for kicks and after rehab go back to their old habits again b/c of their reckless and irresponsible behavior, i won't feel like offering any help at all the second time around.

Should we have a sympathetic attitude towards them, or do you believe in no sympathy for self destructing individuals ?

answered above.  it depends on case by case basis. 

What is root cause of substance abuse - individuals who are involved in making drugs available OR  the person in question him/her self?

pure and simple supply and demand funda boss....but with a slight twist.  peddling happens and peddlers risk getting caught/shot b/c the demand and resulting payout is very high.  what i don't approve of is the twist in this SD equation...that is keeping the demand hi by getting teens and other vulnerable people hooked to drugs.  I feel both the peddlers and addicts are to blame equally. 

Edited by Gauri_3 - 16 years ago
Morning_Dew thumbnail

At some point in time there are might be some realization based on which they might seek help, should help be offered? Should we have a sympathetic attitude towards them, or do you believe in no sympathy for self destructing individuals ?

upto certain level I feel sympathy for them especially in cases where some psychological problems are involved๐Ÿ˜Š

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

i dont just sympathize i empathize as well. These people need help without any unwanted advice.. unless its a medical professional or an experienced parent given it... ๐Ÿ˜Š

Root cause is that it makes them feel good... and thats a valid cause... hte consequences... can be dangerous.. but thats true if you are drunk, over-eating or a s*x maniac.. everywhere you are trying to over do waht makes you feel good.....

Edited by qwertyesque - 16 years ago
~globetrotter~ thumbnail

A lot of substance abuse is essentially as a result of poor self esteem or a poor self image...the peer pressure simply comes out a desire to be accepted by others, because at some level, they probably feel unaccepted as they are. In other cases, substance abusers are people who're so overwhelmed with the problems in their life that they're simply looking for an escape from reality. So I guess from that perspective, I ought to feel some amount of sympathy for substance abusers because they sound like "lost souls in need of help". But truth is, I dont have a whole lot of sympathy for them, because in as much as they need help, and in as much as they're in need of understanding, I cant get over the fact that they're also extremely selfish individuals who are too consumed with their own problems to realize just how destructive their actions are toward other people whose lives are intertwined with their own. It is one thing to be destructive toward yourself when it doesnt involve anyone else, but substance abusers invariably involve other people's emotions and lives within their own destruction...and I just dont think it's fair for those people to have the burden of someone else's self destructive lifestyle placed upon them, when they didnt make that choice for themselves. A single mother who uses drugs for instance, has no right to inflict that lifestyle upon her young kids. So while I do think a whole lot of help ought to be offered to substance abusers, I'm not a whole lot sympathetic toward them. I do think it's a choice they made to indulge in an addiction, and I think it's an irresponsible, selfish choice to place the euphoria of a drug induced moment over the real, everyday happiness of their loved ones.

And regarding who is to blame, the drug manufacturers or the substance abusers...ofcourse, they are both to blame. But I think the substance abusers carry the heavier burden of blame. Anyone can introduce any new product into the market. How many days will that product last in the market if there are no consumers for the product. By indulging in substance abuse, these people keep the drug trade alive. So I blame them all the more for it.

lighthouse thumbnail

We must help those who cannot help themselves for whatever the reason may be, ignorance, peer pressure, low self esteem, or just plain stupid. If we can work toward feeding the starving we must work to take away those from substances or activities they like to indulge in.

~globetrotter~ thumbnail
^ A noble thought, but the trouble is, you cannot help someone unless they themselves are willing to get the help. Case in point, Britney Spears. You cannot forcefully take away drugs from an addict unless they themselves make the decision to get over drugs. Otherwise, your taking the drugs away only compels them to search for an alternative way of finding drugs.
qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

We must help those who cannot help themselves for whatever the reason may be, ignorance, peer pressure, low self esteem, or just plain stupid. If we can work toward feeding the starving we must work to take away those from substances or activities they like to indulge in.

absolutely right....you have to make the horse drink water since the horse doesntn know he is supposed to...๐Ÿ˜Š