Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Substance abusers and Sympathy hmm?

raj5000 Moderator
raj5000
raj5000

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 1:57pm | IP Logged

Regarding people involved in drugs or any kind of substance abuse are routed towards complete self destruction.

At some point in time there are might be some realization based on which they might seek help, should help be offered? Should we have a sympathetic attitude towards them, or do you believe in no sympathy for self destructing individuals ?

What is root cause of substance abuse - individuals who are involved in making drugs available OR  the person in question him/her self?

Edited by raj5000 - 18 January 2008 at 4:50pm

Dabulls23 IF-Stunnerz
Dabulls23
Dabulls23

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 1:59pm | IP Logged
I have something to say on this and will update my post as think it thru Embarrassed
*Jane* Senior Member
*Jane*
*Jane*

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged
Substance abuse is many times due to peer pressure. If someone they hang out with frequently tells them to do it, they probably will. Everybody wants to fit in and when they're surrounded by friends, family and/or colleagues, who are addicts, on a daily basis, it's not easy for them to say no.

Once they try it, though, chances of them getting addicted is high. They know it's wrong, they want to quit but it's a hard road to finding the willpower to do so. If/when they find the strength to quit then they need help from those who care to help them through this otherwise they will fall back on drugs/alcohol to ease away their pain and/or loneliness.

So, IMO, if a one cares about that person, they need to let them know and help them through so they can one day lead a healthy life that is not only beneficial to them and those around them but the society as a whole.

Originally posted by raj5000

Regarding people involved in drugs or any kind of substance abuse are routed towards complete self destruction.

At some point in time there are might be some realization based on which they might seek help, should help be offered?

Definitely, many can't do this alone.

Should we have a sympathetic attitude towards them, or do you believe in no sympathy for self destructing individuals ?

If they want help, and one cares for their heath, then why shouldn't one?

What is root of substance abuse individuals who are involved in making drugs available or the person in question him/her self?

I'd say the blame lies in both fifty/fifty.
Dealers don't get business without those who want their product and those who use the products can't get it without the aid of the dealers.
Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 6:24pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Morning_Dew Goldie
Morning_Dew
Morning_Dew

Deactivated on request

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged

At some point in time there are might be some realization based on which they might seek help, should help be offered? Should we have a sympathetic attitude towards them, or do you believe in no sympathy for self destructing individuals ?

What is root cause of substance abuse - individuals who are involved in making drugs available OR  the person in question him/her self?

upto certain level I feel sympathy for them especially in cases where some psychological problems are involvedSmile

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged

i dont just sympathize i empathize as well. These people need help without any unwanted advice.. unless its a medical professional or an experienced parent given it... Smile

Root cause is that it makes them feel good... and thats a valid cause... hte consequences... can be dangerous.. but thats true if you are drunk, over-eating or a s*x maniac.. everywhere you are trying to over do waht makes you feel good.....

Edited by qwertyesque - 18 January 2008 at 6:54pm
~globetrotter~ Groupbie
~globetrotter~
~globetrotter~

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged

A lot of substance abuse is essentially as a result of poor self esteem or a poor self image...the peer pressure simply comes out a desire to be accepted by others, because at some level, they probably feel unaccepted as they are. In other cases, substance abusers are people who're so overwhelmed with the problems in their life that they're simply looking for an escape from reality. So I guess from that perspective, I ought to feel some amount of sympathy for substance abusers because they sound like "lost souls in need of help". But truth is, I dont have a whole lot of sympathy for them, because in as much as they need help, and in as much as they're in need of understanding, I cant get over the fact that they're also extremely selfish individuals who are too consumed with their own problems to realize just how destructive their actions are toward other people whose lives are intertwined with their own. It is one thing to be destructive toward yourself when it doesnt involve anyone else, but substance abusers invariably involve other people's emotions and lives within their own destruction...and I just dont think it's fair for those people to have the burden of someone else's self destructive lifestyle placed upon them, when they didnt make that choice for themselves. A single mother who uses drugs for instance, has no right to inflict that lifestyle upon her young kids. So while I do think a whole lot of help ought to be offered to substance abusers, I'm not a whole lot sympathetic toward them. I do think it's a choice they made to indulge in an addiction, and I think it's an irresponsible, selfish choice to place the euphoria of a drug induced moment over the real, everyday happiness of their loved ones.

And regarding who is to blame, the drug manufacturers or the substance abusers...ofcourse, they are both to blame. But I think the substance abusers carry the heavier burden of blame. Anyone can introduce any new product into the market. How many days will that product last in the market if there are no consumers for the product. By indulging in substance abuse, these people keep the drug trade alive. So I blame them all the more for it.

lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 8:39pm | IP Logged

We must help those who cannot help themselves for whatever the reason may be, ignorance, peer pressure, low self esteem, or just plain stupid. If we can work toward feeding the starving we must work to take away those from substances or activities they like to indulge in.

Go to top