Originally posted by sareg

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Lets take it this way

Walking on a street in Chennai, a couple from say UK is into high intensive PDA, what do people in Chennai say?

Now take a Indian man walking on the streets of Montreal, chewing on his Benaras pan and does his usual thing. Is it ok for the locals to come up to him and say this is not allowed here?

When you move to a foreign country you want to bring your personal heritage touch while adapting to the new culture. That is the beauty of North American culture.

Not come along with your whole shibang of native culture, you would stand out like a sore thumb, if you stand out like a sore thumb, people are going to take notice, some are going to take offense, some are going to ridicule(and then you are going to complain racism LOL ).

The bottom line(and not for lipservice only)

When in Rome, Do as Romans do without appearing like monkeys which most of them do when they try doing like americans do. Veri few really can do as the americans do elegantly without having to change themselves drastically... LOL

I am talking about adaptation you are talking about imitationWink

you cant adapt without imitating

hmmm, are you sure you know what you are saying here? adaptation means you change your mode of behaviour, keep the basics in tact but still change enough to suite the new system, imitation is blind copying... ya ya imitation is blind copy.. adaptation is just a thoughtful copy - a copy nonetheless....Smile... Its memorising the their idioms...etc.. One of my experiences is about this "wassup?" One fine morning i met Richard in the coffee room and I ended up asking him " Hey Dick Whats up? and i just froze... but he didnt get that.. so it was ok"...LOLLOL.. (ok before people start thinking i am calling names.. Dick is a christian nick for Richard like Robert is bob, william is bill etc)

Ok let us stay with this example, were you saying "Hey Dick, what's up?" b'cos you were imitating other people? and just saying b'cos others are saying or was it b'cos you were genuinely saying it. If one is Genuinely saying it you just say it and you are looking forward to a conversation or planning to walk away. If you are imitating yes you are always conscious about what you are doing. See the difference between adaptation and imitationWink

... Dhona chod key pochna shuru karna may be adaptation or imitation.. the question is how much you are into using that paper at home...Smile.. Imitation is with appearance and behavior and I am not talking about that.....unless you give me some good examples of adaptation

culture means everything behaviour, language, religion, rituals, norms of law/morality ok .. if you think about each of these there is a mix of imitation and tolerance.. and tolerance is enforced by law.. so doesnt really matter if you want to "adapt" anyway...

staying with your example of greeting others, I still havent seen a law to that effect

now when I talked about adaptation,does one need to embrace the beleif and value system, NO, but one needs to adapt.Embrace and how do we do that.?. tacit compliance is in my opinion acceptance...What u saying is  Tolerance is adaptation then according to you - so if a gal shows more than 5 inches of cleavage you dont scream immoral!!!!!!LOL.. You glance enjoy and adapt...LOL what u might think adaptation is already enforced by law so dont have that as an option.

ok since we are in clothing

When you are on a beach in Virginia, you wear a short b'cos the weather is of that type and it is a norm, if you wear a suit, nobody is going to stop you

Reverse, if you are walking in a shorts in say Talewada, the reaction might include "eh Pandu ala re" or "eh gotya doun cup chaha ane re"

hopefully that clears the confusion between imitation and adaptationLOL

I am not going to get into viel and burkha thing b'cos there is an extra-sensitivity around that here at IF(see adaptingWink)...

Nope I would say all that you are trying to says ends up with

adaptation = imitation + tolerance (values forced by law)... but then it doesnt matter if you can or cant.. the discussion becomes pointless.. if you have to adapt...there is no culture involvement here... if you cant live like an island amongst people... uness u call that adaptibility,,,,btw american culture is an oxymoron...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Preservation of culture (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 1:09pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Nope I would say all that you are trying to says ends up with

adaptation = imitation + tolerance (values forced by law)... but then it doesnt matter if you can or cant.. the discussion becomes pointless.. if you have to adapt...there is no culture involvement here... if you cant live like an island amongst people... uness u call that adaptibility,,,,btw american culture is an oxymoron...

I wouldn't call it "imitation".  Adaptation is more to do with process of gradually adjusting to the environment/new conditions in order to survive.  This is the essence of most of the web definitions I googledWink Adaptation gives you better chances of surviving in a new/changed cultural system than imitation, which is nothing more than reactive behavior that has no meaningful orientation (googled againSmile).  Adaptation is slower process and has a meaning to it.  You pick some new traits, keep some of your old ones and evolve into someone who is comfortable within their own skin as well as with the cuture/environment around them.  When you adapt, you are accepted and you blend in.  When you imitate, you are ridiculed and you stand out as a sore thumbSmile

agree on your tolerance point here.  one is going to adjust up to an extent their value system allows them to tolerate.  That's where blending some of your own culture to some of the adpted culture plays a part...how much do you blend or are ready to blend. 

hi garri, tell me one thing. What have you done to adapt to foreign surroundings which fall outside the realm of "tolerating indicrete behavior", and imitating the customs.. and styles of living..

Definitions are easier.. true adaptibility makes relevance only if the cultures are similar... If I go from mumbai to Nagaland.. I can adapt.. or to Madras I can adapt.. because the underlying cultures are similar... also you can adapt to a culture wchich is less mature but not to one which either doesnt exist or the maturity level is unknown...

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by lighthouse

I am talking about adaptation you are talking about imitationWink

In America , reverse is true. Adaptation is usually by the citizens not immigrants.  Both east and west coast has its own culture , so does the South . Chinatown, little Italy, Latin neighborhoods have been around in major cities for decades,  Miami , NYC, LA , Texas all are very different from what one might think is America. Infact I am not sure one can define America as a singular culture, which is why Sopranos is as popular as Sex in the city was.   

see when you want to enter a homogenous society everyone has to adapt, the local citizens as well as the immigrants. The immigrants consider it beneath themselves to adapt but have no explaination why they want to retain something they so wanted to get away from in the first placeLOL

Correct me if I am wrong, but the main reason immigrants arrive in N America is Economic oppurtunities, be it Indians, Irish , English, German or Latinos. Jewish and few others may have had religious or political reasons to leave their birth countries but hardly anyone decides to uproot themselves and immigrate here because they hate their own culture or love american culture more. Tongue

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 9:19pm | IP Logged

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 9:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

You keep on saying that one adapts by imitation only.  Here, you are implying that majority uses acculturation to adapt to American culture.  This may be true for immigrants who came here in early 1960's or 70's where most of the ignorant immigrants immediately shed their culture to become "americanized" overnight…that is lot more stressful and ineffective than biculturalism or assimilation.  I feel biculturalism and/or assimilation is a far better approach than acculturation and results in a positive outlook and a well rounded personality.

Thank god for small mercies...the Anthropology 101 really came in handy hereTongue

Gauri , your estimation of Indian immigrant demographics of 60s and 70s is anything but accurate. Confused

Pre 1990's Indian immigrants have proven to be bi-cultural and are commited to their native culture having formed the bedrock of Indian NRI community as it is. The immigrants from 60's and 70's to the UK and USA/Canada are the ones who embody the model minority assessment and attract attention of most Indians and non Indians..  Within one generation they rose to the top of the economic ladder be it in medicine, science, academia, engineering, retail, hospitality including ownership of fast food restaurants and so on , without any resort to antiracist campaign while retaining their Indian ethnicity. More then 80% of immigrants between 1965 and 1979 came with advanced degrees, hardly ignorant as you put it. Their  integration into the economy and their professions here didn't americanize them , but has made them focus on developing a network of religious institutions, cultural associations, and doing charitable work like raising money to establish health clinics in rural villages in India. 

The 80s saw a huge influx of chain-immigrants(sponsered relatives/family members) from Asia - including India that weren't as educated but were simply hard working and believed in the dream of making it big in America.  Their arrival made Indian community more diverse and reflective of  main street "India" in America with strip malls of desi stores and restaurants to cater to the growing Indian community of the 90's IT boom generation of immigrants.

Indians in the USA/UK/Canada have tried fiercely to maintain a sense of ethnic self-identity against the assimilatory forces of their adopted land but it is now that they face their greatest threat of cultural erasure at the hands of their westernised children .

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top