-Preeti- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 16 years ago

doweshowbellyad=0;
Shweta Salve (TOI Photo) More pics
The Bollywood bug has bitten TV stars big time.

This year will see some famous soap opera actors lighting up the big screen with the who's who of Bollywood. Some of those who have joined the Bollywood bandwagon are: Prachi Desai (Kasamh Se) who will star in Farhan Akhtar's Rock On; Rajeev Khandelwal (Kahin to Hoga, Left Right Left) in Raj Kumar Gupta's Aamir; Mansi Joshi Roy (Kkusum) in Sanjay Gupta's Alibaug; Shveta Salve (Left Right Left) and Manav Gohil (Kkusum) in Dharmesh Darshan's Bhanvra; and Amit Varma (Baa Bahu Aur Baby) in Aziz Mirza's Lucky Charm. With new soap operas starting every other week and old ones dragging on forever, has the small screen become too crowded or has the lure of Bollywood become bigger?

Vikas Behl, executive VP of a production house, thinks it's a matter of scale. "Everyone wants to move up and Bollywood is the next level. Besides, the industry is always short of actors and TV stars are the safest bet as they already have a fan following. It's better than taking on a newcomer," he says. Which is precisely what directors and producers seem to forget, says TV actor Chetan Hansraj, who will be seen in Brahm with Dino Morea and Milind Soman. "They feel TV stars are overexposed. They forget that we come with a fan following. The audience can relate to us," he says.

Vikas adds that the reason small-screen actors don't generally do well on the big screen is because they play the same roles as they did in their serials. "The actor has to do something different in films, like Bruce Willis and Shah Rukh Khan did. Bruce Willis is now an action hero, whereas he had a comic role in the series Moonlighting. Also, there's a lack of experimentation in movies. People feel they needn't spend Rs 200 to watch someone in a theatre who they see every day on television," he says.

Which is why actor Gul Panag was very particular about the kind of TV work she did before she made the jump to Bollywood. "Most of my TV work was anchoring jobs, which I consciously chose to avoid being typecast," she says. And choosing the right kind of movie roles is important too, says Gul. "I talked to 30 filmmakers before I decided to make my Bollywood debut," she says.

Director Apoorva Lakhia feels that a good package of big and small stars can solve the problem. His movie Shootout at Lokhandwala had TV actor Shabbir Ahluwalia and Rohit Roy alongside big stars like Sanjay Dutt, Amitabh Bachchan and Vivek Oberoi. "There's a risk involved in everything. But my movie had huge stars in it so it was ok to experiment. I have Shabbir in my next movie too. It's all about how the movie is packaged. Also, there are some movie stars who are not willing to experiment, whereas most TV actors are," he says

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/From_TV_to_ Bollywood/articleshow/2674467.cms.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Dakoo_Minzy* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Preeti di!!!!!!! 😳
AAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!thnxxxx loaaaads for th article!!!!!! 😳 😳
bhaiya is gettin loadss f publicityyy!!!! 😳 😳 AAWWWWW!!!!!!! πŸ˜ƒ aisa lagin ki poooooori duniyaa gooomkarr unki publicityy kar doooo!!!!! 😳

Loooovvvv Yaa Bhaiiyyaaa!!!!!! 😳 😳 Myy word!!!!!... 😳 😳

Even Prachi is turnin onto bolly family???koool!!!!! πŸ‘ πŸ‘ at this young age!!! πŸ‘

ALL THE BESSSHHTTT!!!!!TO ALL YAAAA ACTORSS!!!!! 😳 😳 nevaa mind!!
success cumss for th hardworkin one!!! 😳 πŸ˜ƒ
jyoti_jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
tfs

dang:(...i like bolly how it is n same as telly..

it;s just too awkward seein telly stars on movies way too awkward..they suit t.v more!!
*Dakoo_Minzy* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
jyoti dear!!!!!butt we do need to givv thm a chance in big screen too na?? 😳 😳
who knooowss!!!we might end up gettin anothrr Sharook frm TV!!!! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ
moreremix thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
cool
thanks for the article πŸ˜ƒ
Looking forward to seeing Prachi
crazyfanar thumbnail
thanx alotttttttttttttt di πŸ€— for the article....im very happy to know he is getting publicity 😳 ...
Rajeev did a lot of hard work aur usey uska ka sila zaroor milay ga πŸ˜› ....
All the very best to Rajeev πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸΌ ....INSHALLAH..he will get lots of success πŸ˜‰
lrllover thumbnail
Originally posted by: CINDRELLA

Vikas adds that the reason small-screen actors don't generally do well on the
big screen is because they play the same roles as they did in their serials.

thanks a lot Preeti Ji for the article 😊

well i completely agree with Mr.Vikas( par yeh banda hai kaun?? πŸ˜• πŸ˜† .....he is intelligent just like me πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† ).........

Rajeev Khandelwal has always worked in projects which are different and which does not resembles the characters he has already played!!.......

I am sure he'll do well in bollywood too and the Khandelwal Effect will hit the industry this year!!

and its nice to read that other actors too are making a move to bollywood!!

All the best to them 😳
they will end up nowhere in Bollywood and will come back to TV worldEdited by MrsAckles - 16 years ago
thanks for sharing
its worth a shot if they are lucky they might make it personally i think that bollywood stars are better actors and its much bigger than tv still way movies are made etc thats why not always sucessful