Sports/Cricket

My family was threatened: Ponting

*Fiza* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

My family was threatened: Ponting

NEW DELHI, January 10: Australian skipper Ricky Ponting said that his family had been getting threatening calls and that his captaincy was also under scrutiny.

In an interview to 'The Daily Telegraph', Ponting said his wife, Riana, rang to tell him he could be sacked, effigies of him were burning and that his parents had been threatened. Abusive and threatening calls compelled his parents to change their telephone number.

In video: My family was threatened says Ponting

Being retrospective, Ponting said there were certain things that could have been taken care of. He admitted that he had stood too long at the crease after being given out LBW in the first innings in Sydney.

"There's no doubt I stood there for a second or two too long and I shouldn't have done that," he said.

"It probably didn't help that I was shown throwing my bat when I got back to the rooms.

"Some of the guys mightn't have shaken (Indian skipper Anil) Kumble's hand after the game but we were so wrapped up with the end of the game that they were already off the field.

"We all walked along when it was over and shook their hands."

'The Daily Telegraph' also quoted Ricky Ponting of being very conscious of the team's image. Ponting said people appreciate and enjoy Australian cricket that is tough and very competitive but his side was ready to work on grey areas if there were any.

"I don't think anyone wants the way Australia plays cricket to change. Everyone likes to see a tough, uncompromising brand of cricket," he said.

"But if there are areas in our game to improve then obviously we need to address that."

"I think we can all look back at that last Test and realise there were some little areas in that game that, if we had our time over, we might have done slightly differently."

Ponting was dumbfounded at some of the reaction since the finish to the second Test, which Australia won by capturing three late wickets with minutes to spare to seize their 16th consecutive Test victory.

"What I want is for the Australian cricket team to be the most loved and the most respected sporting side in this country. That's always been one of my aims and it will continue to be," he said.

"One thing I've been conscious of over the last five years I've been captain is that this team is going to be recognised as one of the all-time great Australian cricket teams.

"But what I've also been conscious of is making sure the guys are remembered as being good people as well as great cricketers.

"In the last two or three seasons especially we've actually started to change the perception, the way in which the public see us. There have been less (players reported). We're ultra conscious of how we play the game and the spirit of cricket which we all signed on to."

http://broadband.indiatimes.com/popupvideo/2688567.cms

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Fiza* thumbnail
This is so sad ..ponting did all he can for his team.. he shud be treated fairly.. afterall he is one of the most successful captain and a great batsmen.
b it any cricketor..his family shuld not b treated like this..
professional and personal lives r two different things.
n to attack or threaten any criketor's family is surely wrong..
purva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
That's sad 😕 .... people should leave his parents alone.... it's about Ponting and cricket.. his family should not be included in it...

And about his captaincy being under scrutiny.... I don't have any sympathy... he brought it upon himself... and it's not what just Indian supporters are saying.... even former Australian players are saying that 😊
WillSmith456 thumbnail
Originally posted by: purva

That's sad 😕 .... people should leave his parents alone.... it's about Ponting and cricket.. his family should not be included in it...

And about his captaincy being under scrutiny.... I don't have any sympathy... he brought it upon himself... and it's not what just Indian supporters are saying.... even former Australian players are saying that 😊

ohh plzzz if you don't want to show support then, "who is telling you to go and ring the bell ?"

And leave ponting alone you dumb people who does not want understand cricket at all. 😡

😭 😭
purva thumbnail
Originally posted by: ''Andro''

ohh plzzz if you don't want to show support then, "who is telling you to go and ring the bell ?"

And leave ponting alone you dumb people who does not want understand cricket at all. 😡

😭 😭

You can not tell me to stop commenting.... I haven't broken any rules 😊 ....

Infact you have called people 'DUMB' here just b'coz they don't support your favorite... hope Mods will take a note...
WillSmith456 thumbnail
its not breaking any rulez dear. i am so angry at them noe. see what they are doing to him. its not his fault in any way
purva thumbnail
Originally posted by: ''Andro''

its not breaking any rulez dear. i am so angry at them noe. see what they are doing to him. its not his fault in any way

I am confused 😕 ... who you are calling dumb?? Didn't you quote me??
WillSmith456 thumbnail
areee did you threatened his parents ??? Your not doing it. So how can say i will call you or how do i know it ??? People are doing it. Did n't you see also what happened in world cup 07 , when india lost to bangladesh and was out. Then people burned playuers photoes and then throw and broked some indian players home windows ??The same people who hates when their command was not fulfiled. They are same kind of people who does not understand cricket. Now same exactly same happened with ponting 😊
purva thumbnail
Oh OK.... so you are calling names to people who are abusing Ponting's parents.... then I can understand... even I don't like it...

But how are you so sure that only Indian supporters are doing it??? Didn't you see... even Australian people are not supporting their team's behaviour.... so can it not be them??