*Jaya* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

They don't need your tears
6 Jan 2008, 0000 hrs IST,MANJULA NEGI ,TNN

I am up to my ears with people saying Taare Zameen Par is a SAD film. "You cry throughout the film," they wail. "The film is soooooo nice and the boy is sooooo wonderful but it's succch a saaad film!"

Is it – really? Just a couple of questions to those who've been saying this and repeating it ever so often. Did you cry because it made you sad or because the film's tender moments touched you? Did you cry because you fell in love with Ishaan Awasthi aka Darsheel Safary – the little dyslexic boy or because you felt happy with what he achieved? Or could it be that tears came unbidden because the film acted as a mirror of your insensitivity as an adult who failed to understand a special child? Why did you cry?

The last one heard, 'sad' and its synonyms were described by the Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus as joyless; morose; pitiful; deplorable and causing sorrow; and pessimistic, among other such depressing words.

But the film is about hope, it's about giving and nurturing and laughing aloud with life, as it offers itself in all its myriad shades. The film is a tour de force across board – as witnessed in its complex performances, the seamless simplicity of its direction and its brilliant script. A film which holds its own until the interval without the entry of the hero, who (when he enters) sprinkles sunshine all around him, a hero who makes you laugh and makes you cry (with joy) when he helps his ward realise his potential.

So once again, for those slower on the uptake – is TZP a sad film? The answer is a loud NO. Aamir Khan and Amol Gupte's creative endeavour isn't intended for you to weep or to pity the little boy.

It is a very brave, courageous mainstream film which pulls you in, takes you head on, insists that you take a good hard look at yourselves as parents, guardians, teachers and individuals and not continue to view all the children with the same eye because 'each child is special'.

It is a film that is filled with enveloping warmth that's been forgotten in our lives. TZP celebrates the achievements of these gifted children, who 'we in all our wisdom' fail to see as normal 'coz 'we are more normal than them.' Can there be a more twisted piece of logic than that? Now, that should make you cry.

Source: TimesOfIndia.com

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sajnie thumbnail
wowwwwwwwwwww really to the point article , enjoyed reading it , the writer is right 👏
monikameghan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing this.

I was also thinking that why people are calling TZP a sad film. Even when my sister told me that she was crying in the end (I hadn't seen the movie by then)I thought it had a sad ending or something. I didn't even ask her about the end.

But when I saw the film I thought there couldn't be a more positive film than this one in particular. It was just simply amazing to see how easily a teacher or a parent can make or break a child's future. We saw all the breaking in the beginning of the film and all the making in the later parts.

Thanks again for bringing it up. 😛
pyaridilwalino1 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
completely agreee! I film wasn't sad!!! 😡
It was about realization, ambitions, hope, and inspirations that are enclosed in every child! wonderful movie! 👏