Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Bhajji banned, I say call off the series (Page 8)

bunbutt_too IF-Sizzlerz
bunbutt_too
bunbutt_too

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 11:54pm | IP Logged
Thanks for the article. I wonder if Peter Roebuck is going to have a job or his country after this.Ouch  However I salute him for being bold enough to call a spade a spade.ClapClapClap
Sharmii IF-Sizzlerz
Sharmii
Sharmii

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 12:52am | IP Logged
I am not sure wether 'Monkey' is a Racist Word or Not.Mostly it depends On How You Take it! But That is not the whole Point....

I doubt wether Harbhajan opened his Mouth .....And If he did...Well god only Knows what Symonds told him( we never heard that part of the story Did we?)

I dont whose being Racially Abused ....Wether its the Australain or in Real Technacility The Indians.
Australains seem to have Won the game Only on the Field.Thier Off Feild Tac Tics dont seem to win anyone's heart.

Its A Perfect case of Pot Calling the Kettle Black. Ouch
bunbutt_too IF-Sizzlerz
bunbutt_too
bunbutt_too

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 3:29am | IP Logged

Harbhajan should blame himself for inviting ban: Symonds

7 Jan 2008, 1443 hrs IST,PTI

SMS NEWS to 58888 for latest updates

SYDNEY, January 7: Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds admitted he had a 'crack' at Harbhajan Singh in the second Test but said the Indian off-spinner has only himself to blame for incurring a three-match ban by Match Referee Mike Procter.

Symonds claimed Harbhajan had hit Brett Lee while batting, following which he had an altercation with the Indian. But if the episode earned Harbhajan a three-match ban from Procter, the off-spinner has none but himself to blame for that, Symonds said.

"I'm a firm believer in sticking up for your teammate, so I stepped in and had a bit of a crack at Harbhajan, telling him exactly what I thought of his antics," Symonds told The Daily Telegraph.

"He then had a shot back, which brings us to the situation we're facing tonight," he said, squarely blaming the Indian for the issue which has now snowballed into a major contention with the BCCI challenging the ban order.

Recalling how it all started, Symonds said, "Brett Lee had just sent down a delivery and Harbhajan took off down the wicket. When he was returning to his crease, he decided to hit Brett on the backside. I have no idea why he did it. I was standing nearby and when I saw what happened I thought: 'Hold on, that's not on'."

Symonds claimed India and Australia shared a pretty cordial relation before the incident soured it all.

"I must admit the incident was pretty surprising, because relations between the two sides so far have been very good. It's been a series played in really good spirit. There's been no sledging or bad blood." 

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Harbhajan_should_blame_hi mself_for_inviting_ban_Symonds/articleshow/2680276.cms

This article is the mother of all gall.

Edited by bunbutt_too - 07 January 2008 at 3:32am
SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bunbutt_too

Harbhajan should blame himself for inviting ban: Symonds

"I'm a firm believer in sticking up for your teammate, so I stepped in and had a bit of a crack at Harbhajan, telling him exactly what I thought of his antics," Symonds told The Daily Telegraph.

Mr. Proctor should take note of his statement and ask him what exactly did he say to Bhajji.

BTW, on second thoughts I think we should not abondon tour and play all the games...but our team should do this...

1) While batting all batman'll throw their wickets on first ball...all team out on ZERO.

2) While bowling bowl nothing but wides and no-balls.

Let Aussies have their records and victories. LOL

sareg IF-Dazzler
sareg
sareg

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged
Not sure what is the reason people are calling for the Tour to be called off

A. Is it b'cos our team lost
Well sure Wink

B. Is it b'cos the umpiring went against us
I think Kumble and team had an opportunity to log a complaint in the first innings itself and were instructed by BCCI to do so, but the "team decided" against it

C. Was it b'cos Harbhajan was banned
Harbhajan was accused of using a racial word against Symonds. Now there are different angles people are playing this
1. Monkey is not even a racial word, well first off, this is an abuse situation and the abused gets to decide when the line is crossed and Symonds and the Aussies had made it pretty clear in the last tour itself that"monkey" is considered a racial term when uttered against blacks and Symond is Black. Now to make things simple for people to understand in a domestic abuse situation it is considered abuse when the spouse who is abused says so, not when the spouse who abuses

Funny thing is Indians in USA created a huge racket against a Republican Senate candidate last year for the reason the candidate called a campaign worker of (South East Asian) Indian decent a monkey, this issue played heavily in the contest the republican lost by less than 8000 votes and the senate balance turned to Democrats on that result. Almost all Indian organizations in US were up in arms on this issue. I remember reading Indian Express and TOI having articles decrying the racial overtone LOL

2. He is not even black LOL even when told what is ethnicity people still deny he is black LOL

3. He deserves it Aussies have been doing it for years now it is our turn, So two wrongs make it right?

4. We earn the most for ICC, so ICC should only listen to what we say LOL (imagine this argument in a domestic abuse situation, a hubby says I earn the most in the home, and when I say it is not abuse it is not abuse and the courts should accept it LOL )

5. He dresses like a monkey that is why we call him a monkey(there was a lawsuit filed by a couple of Sikhs against a radio station for having called them "RAG Heads". Everybody in India sympathized with the Sikhs then and decried racism(or better yet try justifying to feminists terms used for scantily clad women LOL )

It is real interesting this time around, someone used our own weapon on us, we cry racism at every nook and corner and have made the politically correct environment

The fact is the BCCI dropped the ball on this one. When we send our players abroad, we send them to represent us, not only for playing cricket but for everything. BCCI should be telling the players do's and don't about what to absolutely not say, given past Australian tour

Best way our of this mess is Prove Harbhajan did not say it

Acceptable way should be play the tour in protest

By Withdrawing from the tour we are just saying to the world, we are the deciders of what is racism in the world and if we say anything that is constued as racist by others,they should deal with it, we weild a big stick of Economic power and if you dont listen to us, we will deprive you of all the financial benefits

Make no mistake this is all about Harbhajan being banned, we are fighting the right fight but with the wrong cause. If we want to teach Australia a lesson, we should stop making tours of Australia, just the way players from other continents would be making excuses while making trips to the subcontinent in the past
SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sareg

Not sure what is the reason people are calling for the Tour to be called off

To register our protest against pathetic umpiring and also Bhajji's punishment despite having NO proof...they didn't have any proof period. And also the free pass White teams get for abusing, sledging and swearing at Non-White teams..it has been going on since years. I read Steve Waugh's article defending infamour Aussie tactics trying to brush it under the carpet by saying this is way they play.

A. Is it b'cos our team lost
Well sure Wink NO!

B. Is it b'cos the umpiring went against us
I think Kumble and team had an opportunity to log a complaint in the first innings itself and were instructed by BCCI to do so, but the "team decided" against it  Do you have any proof of all that?

C. Was it b'cos Harbhajan was banned YES, but it was not on..Period. Bec'se there was no proof.

2. He is not even black LOL even when told what is ethnicity people still deny he is black LOL How is he black? He is of mixed varietyLOL, if he is black then entire human race is black. LOL

3. He deserves it Aussies have been doing it for years now it is our turn, So two wrongs make it right? What wrong, there is no evidence against Bhajji...so no question of any wrong.

4. We earn the most for ICC, so ICC should only listen to what we say LOL (imagine this argument in a domestic abuse situation, a hubby says I earn the most in the home, and when I say it is not abuse it is not abuse and the courts should accept it LOL) We are perfectly justified in using whatever means at our disposal to achieve our goals. Bhajji was held guilty without evidence.

5. He dresses like a monkey that is why we call him a monkey(there was a lawsuit filed by a couple of Sikhs against a radio station for having called them "RAG Heads". Everybody in India sympathized with the Sikhs then and decried racism(or better yet try justifying to feminists terms used for scantily clad women LOL) But calling him monkey is not a racial thingy...its like saying calling Inzi Aalu is racial abuse.

It is real interesting this time around, someone used our own weapon on us, we cry racism at every nook and corner and have made the politically correct environment No, ulta hai. Aussies got a taste of their own medicine...and now are crying hoarse.

The fact is the BCCI dropped the ball on this one. When we send our players abroad, we send them to represent us, not only for playing cricket but for everything. BCCI should be telling the players do's and don't about what to absolutely not say, given past Australian tour. Sorry, jaisi saamne waali team hai..waisa aapko khelna padega. Don't forget Symonds himself wrote in an article today that he said something to Bhajji and in response Bhajji uttered those alleged words.

Best way our of this mess is Prove Harbhajan did not say it Proof dene ka kaam accuser ka hai...

Acceptable way should be play the tour in protest

By Withdrawing from the tour we are just saying to the world, we are the deciders of what is racism in the world and if we say anything that is constued as racist by others,they should deal with it, we weild a big stick of Economic power and if you dont listen to us, we will deprive you of all the financial benefits

Make no mistake this is all about Harbhajan being banned, we are fighting the right fight but with the wrong cause. If we want to teach Australia a lesson, we should stop making tours of Australia, just the way players from other continents would be making excuses while making trips to the subcontinent in the past
SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged

http://tinyurl.com/2al8us

It is believed that the Indian contingent at the Harbhajan Singh hearing on Sunday night repeatedly asked the Australians to think very carefully before going ahead with the "racism" charge against Harbhajan Singh, saying it was a serious charge that had repercussions "far beyond cricket".

"We told them that it's one thing to accuse a player of sledging, quite another to say he is racist," said a source, "but they were insistent that he wanted to racially abuse Symonds." While the Indian team has been upset a while over the umpiring decisions in Sydney, there is absolute outrage over the branding of Harbhajan as a racist. "If it is not taken back, it is a tag that could stay with him for the rest of his career," said a team official. "He is still so young, it will come back to haunt him".

Those few hours
The hearing, conducted by ICC match referee Mike Procter (assisted by English lawyer Nigel Peters), lasted well over four hours and saw a series of cross-examinations by both parties. While Symonds made the charge, Harbhajan denied it. Of the four Aussies who turned up for Symonds, two (Ponting and Gilchrist) said they had heard nothing.

TV replays show only Matt Hayden had a realistic chance of overhearing the conversation, though both he and Michael Clarke backed Symonds' charge. Umpires Bucknor and Benson and Tendulkar, batting with Harbhajan at the time, said they had heard nothing of the sort. Tendulkar said Harbhajan didn't say it.

Hogg in the dock?
Things apparently got a bit heated when the Australians accused Harbhajan of being a "repeat offender", of using the same racial slur during the Mumbai ODI last year. The Indians then asked why the Australians hadn't complained at the time, and then complained to Procter about Hogg calling an Indian player (reportedly Kumble) a "bas****". "We did not file the complaint in the prescribed form but we did bring it to the notice of the match referee," said Sridhar. An official complaint will be filed and it is believed there is audio proof of this charge.

Why didn't you speak, Gilly?
It is also believed that the examination went off tangent a couple of times. Ponting was apparently reminded that he had every reason to see Harbhajan out of the way, given that he virtually became Harbhajan's bunny, while Gilchrist was asked why, when he was so particular about integrity, did he not indicate that Rahul Dravid's pad and not bat touched the ball in India's second innings — Dravid was declared caught behind, a shocking decision that probably changed the match. At these times, it is believed (though Procter could not be reached), that Procter intervened, asking they stick to what was being discussed. The Indians argued that in the absence of any back-up evidence (audio or video), this was being interpreted as one man's word against another, so they had to prove that people's integrity could be interpreted differently. "It was to no avail, even then, we were getting a sense of fighting a losing battle," said a source.

Sham and shame
"There was a feeling that this was a sham and a waste of our time, that the verdict had already been decided before it began and that Bhajji would be made an example of. Speed (ICC chief Malcolm) was in town and talked of a crackdown on anyone infringing on the spirit of the game. Procter was under fire for letting off Yuvraj (for standing his ground in Melbourne after being dismissed) and wanted to make a strong point." While an ICC gag order means players cannot publicly speak of the hearing or what went on inside the room, it is understood that the team is particularly furious about Procter's stating that he was "satisfied beyond reasonable doubt" that Harbhajan had sledged Symonds by using the word "monkey". And, that he "meant it to offend on the basis of Symonds' race or ethnic origin".

Ref under scanner
"Without audio or video proof, how could he be sure beyond all reasonable doubt?" asked a player. "Procter's attitude also needs investigating then". Some say Procter dealt with India roughly and indicated he "thought only one group was being honest" (and that wasn't India), is being viewed as a clear questioning of the Indians' integrity. The BCCI is in support of its players. In a statement, the Board said: "… (it) questions the very conduct of the hearing, as the Match Referee, before reaching his decision, disregarded the essential point of any inquiry, that it should be based on facts, rational, detached and objective."

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 1:22pm | IP Logged
More from Peter Roebuck. I am impressed to see an Australian media person report with such integrity. Hope he does not get too much trouble in the country for speaking as it is.

Print this article |   Close this window
Arrogant Ponting must be fired

Peter Roebuck
January 8, 2008
Advertisement

RICKY PONTING must be sacked as captain of the Australian cricket team. If Cricket Australia cares a fig for the tattered reputation of our national team in our national sport, it will not for a moment longer tolerate the sort of arrogant and abrasive conduct seen from the captain and his senior players over the past few days. Beyond comparison it was the ugliest performance put up by an Australian side for 20 years. The only surprising part of it is that the Indians have not packed their bags and gone home. There is no justice for them in this country, nor any manners.

That the senior players in the Australian team are oblivious to the fury they raised among many followers of the game in this country and beyond merely confirms their own narrow and self-obsessed viewpoint. Doubtless they were not exposed to the messages that poured in from distressed enthusiasts aghast to see the scenes of bad sportsmanship and triumphalism presented at the SCG during and after the Test. Pained past players rang to express their disgust. It was a wretched and ill-mannered display and not to be endured from any side, let alone an international outfit representing a proud sporting nation.

Make no mistake, it is not only the reputation of these cricketers that has suffered. Australia itself has been embarrassed. The notion that Ponting can hereafter take the Australian team to India is preposterous. He has shown not the slightest interest in the well-being of the game, not the slightest sign of diplomatic skills, not a single mark of respect for his accomplished and widely admired opponents.

Harbhajan Singh can be an irritating young man but he is head of a family and responsible for raising nine people. And all the Australian elders want to do is to hunt him from the game. Australian fieldsmen fire insults from the corners of their mouths, an intemperate Sikh warrior overreacts and his rudeness is seized upon. It might impress barrack room lawyers.

In the past few days Ponting has presided over a performance that dragged the game into the pits. He turned a group of professional cricketers into a pack of wild dogs. As much can be told from the conduct of his closest allies in the team. As usual, Matthew Hayden crossed himself upon reaching three figures in his commanding second innings, a gesture he does not perform while wearing the colours of his state. Exactly how he combines his faith with throwing his weight around on the field has long bemused opposing sides, whose fondness for him ran out a long time ago. Hayden has much better in him.

Michael Clarke also had a dreadful match but he is a young man and has time to rethink his outlook. That his mind was in disarray could be told from his batting. In the first innings he offered no shot to a straight ball and in the second he remained at the crease after giving an easy catch to slip. On this evidence Clarke cannot be promoted to the vice-captaincy of his country. It is a captain's primary task to rear his younger players and to prepare his successor for the ordeals of office. Nothing need be said about the catch Clarke took in the second innings except that in the prevailing circumstances the umpires were ill-advised to take anyone's word for anything.

The Indians were convinced Ponting grounded a catch he claimed on the final afternoon at the SCG. Throughout those heated hours, the Australian remained hostile, kicking the ground, demanding decisions, pressuring the umpires. So much for the corporate smile that has been produced these last few years.

Probably the worst aspect of the Australians' performance was their conduct at the end. When the last catch was taken they formed into a huddle and started jumping up and down like teenagers at a rave. It was not euphoria. It was ecstasy. They had swallowed a dangerous pill called vengeance. Not one player so much as thought about shaking hands with the defeated and departing. So much for Andrew Flintoff consoling a stricken opponent in his hour of defeat.

Nor could Ponting and Gilchrist stop themselves publicly chiding Tony Greig for daring to criticise the timing of the declaration. They should have been thanking their lucky stars that three wickets had fallen in five balls, one of them in dubious circumstances. Australia had 150 runs and five minutes to spare. It was unfitting conduct from an Australian captain or vice-captain. By all accounts Ponting was later rude towards Indian reporters at his news conference.

Ponting has not provided the leadership expected from an Australian cricket captain and so must be sacked. On this evidence the time has also come to thank Hayden and Gilchrist for their services. None of them are bad fellows. All will look back on this match not as their finest hour but their worst. Obviously a new captain and side is required. But that is a task for another day. It is possible to love a country and not its cricket team.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/01/07/1199554571883.html

Go to top