Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

chinkyshona

chinkyshona

Posted: 05 January 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged
hye everybudy
i just found evrybudy saying dat dumbledore is a gay in various topics. but how is dis possible?? i dont have ny idea wat made u ppl say dat he is a gay,there is nuthing like dat in these 7 books.
i mean its just a character of the book not a real person who cud have hidden truths n secrets of his life.all jk rowling wants us to know about the characters is in the book , n now how can v suddenly make any character a gay just bcoz he isnt married or has stayed wid his frnd 4 a while.n besides its a nice fantasy book 4 youngsters,how can v bring such issues in it.
plz tell me da whole thing,cuz i dont stay in touch wid the forum so much n tell me if if jkrowling has said it by herself that he is a gay.if she really has said it, then its very stupid of her. does she want us to figure out hidden stuff from he r book as if its sum kind of a riddle ....

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "dumbledore a "gay"-explain" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 05 January 2008 at 7:07pm | IP Logged
U know Jo explanation is that Dumbledore felt a certain kind of attraction towards Gellert Grindelwald and when Grindelwald did u know what(Refer to Ariana's death), He ran away, Broke Albus' Heart and it was in his shock and misery that he understood how wrong he was and chose to be the greatest wiz of his age blah blah blah...

But his seemed Gibberish for me...Dumbledore's attraction to Grindelwald has been explained in the book..He was left hopeless and stuck in his house with a mad sister and a good for nothing brother and his dreams were met by a closed door..N then Grindelwald Came along and the empty Couldron was lit again coz it wanted so much to be Lighted! Wink
Grindelwald inflamed his ideas with his own and in those moments of absurd arrogance and being such a day dreamer, DD took the wrong step...his attraction o Grindelwad was bcoz he lit his hpopes...and that is a good and strong enof reason..
I dun understand what jo was playing at when she made that statement...
Nyway, makes No diff to Dumbledore the character na? we love him for his widom+Clevermess(I dun want myself to contradict my siggy quote!) LOL , brave, brainy, kind, Grandpa like greatest wiz...n this makes no change to that...

all saidn done, I qud like to quote my fav writer...SO BE IT! SO BE IT! Embarrassed

*Jane*

*Jane*

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 1:03am | IP Logged
Here's how the coversation went in Carnagie Hall:

The question was: Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?

JKR: My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay. [ovation.] ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent? But, he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter] "If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!"

Excerpt taken from The Leaky Cauldron.

I wrote the following in a previous post regarding this.
Well he is a hugely popular character. For those who are gay and/or are struggling with their sexuality might find comfort in that a generous man like Dumbledore is gay. This revelation may even pave a path of tolerance (if not acceptance) for many people who do/have/will read these books.
The person from GLAAD isn't wrong in saying that the portrayal of gay characters in media influences what people think of them (most of the things we do is influenced by the media) unless they know gay men/women personally or are gay themselves.

btw: The earlier kids learn about this stuff the better it is. And since this book is recommended for 8 and above people shouldn't even be using "but think about the kids" excuse as children by that age kids should know all about sex. If they don't know then some people are neglecting their parenting duties. Personally I think, most parents are neglecting that particular part of their parenting duties.

chinkyshona

chinkyshona

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged
yeah!! dats write i didnt read dat article where she said dat he is a gay,

i was just 2 shocked 2 c all of u saying dat he is a gay !!!

chinkyshona

chinkyshona

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 6:22pm | IP Logged
thnx a lot guys

i still say its very stupid of jo to say all this about a character,dat everybudy luvs n admires n considers as a perfect wizard n respects .

the story of harry potter shud b just limited to the book.

*Jane*

*Jane*

Posted: 06 January 2008 at 7:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sweetu

thnx a lot guys

i still say its very stupid of jo to say all this about a character,dat everybudy luvs n admires n considers as a perfect wizard n respects .

Ok, I don't intend to cause a fight but what exactly do you mean by this? Dumbledore is a great wizard, regardless of some mistakes he has made (who hasn't? Humans are not infallible, after all) he still is and can be considered a great wizard. Why should a revelation as unimportant as his gender preference when it comes to a romantic partner change that?

I like Lily Potter, do I care that she is straight/bi? No
    That she married James Potter? A tad bit, yes, because James kindof bugs me.

I like Ron, Do I care he is straight/bi? No
    That he dated Lavender? yes, he belongs with Hermione
    That he dated and eventually married Hermione? no, because they're one of my favorite couples. They belong together, IMHO.

I like Harry, Do I care he is straight/bi? No
    That he pined over Cho Chang? yes, she irritates me
    That he dated and eventually married Ginny? Kindof, as I prefer him with Draco.

I like Albus Dumbledore, Do I care that he is Gay? No
    That he pined over Gellert Grindelwald? yes because Grindelwald is not good enough for him. Albus needs and deserves someone who would love, cherish, honor and respect him.

Not once have I changed my mind about a character dependent on the gender of the person they're romantically inclined towards but rather whom the person, they are inclined towards, is.
Is there a reason why everyone should be considered straight until proven gay?

Dumbledore's sexuality is hardly of importance (do we know much about the other teachers love lives excluding Snape) to the bigger picture at hand in the books themselves. Just as little importance as what Harry's daughters middle name is, Neville's future wife, Draco's non Life Debt or Petunias feelings of remorse.

Non of them have any place in the books. These are just things she is willingly giving us, and we berate her for sharing info on our favorite characters and/or the world that she has created. If you don't want to pay attention to the newer details she's giving out then don't and consider what is said in the books only but some of us find the bits she gives us to be incredibly valuable in solidifying the imagery of this wonderful world and it's characters.

I don't mean to come off so brash but I feel as if someone needs to defend her stance on this. Personally, she would've been a coward for keeping this in, I applaud her for her courage to bring this out there, where it may do some good, just like AD himself would've preferred. 

lucky_lakshmi

IF-Sizzlerz

lucky_lakshmi

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 4:41am | IP Logged
^^^well Labib U cannp predict how low sum readers can stoop...I was browsing thru sum discussion on this issue the other day N know what I came across?!
"Did Dumbledore take advantage of School Boys?!"
Now isnt that just Horrible??? How can ppl think so low? Eeeeyuck! Dead Dead Dead Some of the reactions this has evoked from the diff readers is despicable

sumera siddiqui

Goldie

sumera siddiqui

Posted: 07 January 2008 at 5:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Bhoomi_fan

Originally posted by *Jane*

thnx a lot guys

Ok, I don't intend to cause a fight but what exactly do you mean by this? Dumbledore is a great wizard, regardless of some mistakes he has made (who hasn't? Humans are not infallible, after all) he still is and can be considered a great wizard. Why should a revelation as unimportant as his gender preference when it comes to a romantic partner change that?

I like Lily Potter, do I care that she is straight/bi? No
    That she married James Potter? A tad bit, yes, because James kindof bugs me.

I like Ron, Do I care he is straight/bi? No
    That he dated Lavender? yes, he belongs with Hermione
    That he dated and eventually married Hermione? no, because they're one of my favorite couples. They belong together, IMHO.

I like Harry, Do I care he is straight/bi? No
    That he pined over Cho Chang? yes, she irritates me
    That he dated and eventually married Ginny? Kindof, as I prefer him with Draco.

I like Albus Dumbledore, Do I care that he is Gay? No
    That he pined over Gellert Grindelwald? yes because Grindelwald is not good enough for him. Albus needs and deserves someone who would love, cherish, honor and respect him.

Not once have I changed my mind about a character dependent on the gender of the person they're romantically inclined towards but rather whom the person, they are inclined towards, is.
Is there a reason why everyone should be considered straight until proven gay?

Dumbledore?s sexuality is hardly of importance (do we know much about the other teachers love lives excluding Snape) to the bigger picture at hand in the books themselves. Just as little importance as what Harry's daughters middle name is, Neville?s future wife, Draco?s non Life Debt or Petunias feelings of remorse.

Non of them have any place in the books. These are just things she is willingly giving us, and we berate her for sharing info on our favorite characters and/or the world that she has created. If you don't want to pay attention to the newer details she?s giving out then don't and consider what is said in the books only but some of us find the bits she gives us to be incredibly valuable in solidifying the imagery of this wonderful world and it's characters.

I don?t mean to come off so brash but I feel as if someone needs to defend her stance on this. Personally, she would?ve been a coward for keeping this in, I applaud her for her courage to bring this out there, where it may do some good, just like AD himself would?ve preferred. 

ClapClapawsome answer Jane, awsome answer. A great round of applause for uClap

Yeah that i dont understand what is the problem if DD is a gay??? he is not harming anyone, is he, then???

awesome Jane....hats off to uClap

such an excellent replyClap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top