Box office top 10 of 2007

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 16 years ago

10. Malaikottai

A routine commercial mix, all ingredients well proportioned to make a movie that managed to maintain a consistent tempo till the end. Vishal's mass hero image well exploited, Priyamani used exclusively for song and dance routines, the label of a comedy action entertainer and a free run devoid of any competition were the factors that came together to make Malaikottai a profitable venture.

9. Polladhavan

Deepavali and a bevy of biggies, it is not exactly the safest time to release a movie. But Polladhavan stood tall on its merits. All credit to Vetrimaaran for showing enough courage to take a path less traveled and come out with flying colors. Rank 9 might not be a fair reflection of the impact that this movie has had, it is still in theaters with the total gross figure still rising.

8. Unnale Unnale

Unfortunately this had to be the last complete movie of Jeeva. Unnale Unnale stood out for its fresh feeling, exquisite camera work and a new perspective of love. It was made for youngsters and they lapped it up, Harris Jeyaraj's music playing a big part in it. Was in theaters for quite a long time.

7. Vel

The biggest hit of Deepavali 2007, Vel was Hari's yet another family drama set in a rural backdrop rode on the ability of the director to make the most out of a script. Surya's double role and chemistry with Asin were key factors in Vel hitting the target.

6. Mozhi

A pleasant departure from the usual entertainers, Mozhi delighted without resorting to formula elements. Well made in all aspects and giving Jyothika the perfect platform for a swansong, Mozhi for nearly 100 days stood firm in the theaters of Chennai, a testimony to its quality.

5. Chennai 28...

A celebration of youth, friendship, fun and cricket- the elixir of life, Chennai 28 managed to touch a chord in every person young at heart. The earnest intent and energy of youth shone through in every frame of this movie full of new faces. Patronized by youth from all walks of life, Chennai 28 remained the only movie to withstand the Sivaji onslaught in mid June.

4. Pokkiri

Officially the first superhit of 2007. Ilaya Thalapathi and his fans celebrated Pongal in style with Pokkiri going from strength to strength. Facing very little opposition after the first few weeks, this taut entertainer with a few good songs kept going on and on. Vijay's first role as a cop and Asin's presence did not let the interest die down.

3. Billa

Barely two weeks in theaters and yet in the top four in terms of collections speaks volumes about the slick quality of the movie, Ajith's popularity, the tremendous hype and the release that matched the hype. Receiving good reviews and word of mouth, Billa is set to gross even more in the coming days

2. Paruthiveeran

Not many debutants have come this high or this far but Karthi has proved that he has got pedigree and class. Under the masterful hands of Ameer, he molded himself into the rugged village youngster who would throw a punch at the drop of a hat. Priyamani's contribution too should not go without mention, same with Yuvan's music. Having completed 300 days, Paruthiveeran has turned out to be a true warrior for Tamil cinema.

1. Sivaji

You need not have any special gifts of intuition to guess who is holding this spot. Not only the biggest grosser of the year, Sivaji turned out to be the biggest ever in the history of Tamil cinema, a fitting record for a movie that saw the coming together of the most skilled, dedicated and iconic figures of Tamil cinema. This position was but an inevitability

reference: www.behindwoods.com

Edited by usha_pooja - 16 years ago
Suntv also had a simliar list, but they didnt have Billa and Malaikottai, instead had Thamirabharani and Naan avan illai. I just wonder why they have cuted Billa out? even in the weekly 10 songs, they dont have billa or show any trailers?? πŸ˜•
Thanks usha... πŸ‘ πŸ‘

here in malaysia, Astro vellitirai had the top 10 movies for 2007.... but the list is different...gosh i forgot πŸ˜• ... will be back later πŸ˜›

Originally posted by meli

Suntv also had a simliar list, but they didnt have Billa and Malaikottai, instead had Thamirabharani and Naan avan illai. I just wonder why they have cuted Billa out? even in the weekly 10 songs, they dont have billa or show any trailers?? πŸ˜•

Meli.. that's b'cos some production companies have a tiff with SunTV and don't release any clips/trailers/songs from their movies to SunTV. I remember Kalaipuli Thanu had an issue with SunTV before when they released Aalavandhan and so didn't give out any clips from Sachin (Vijay) and Thotti Jaya (Simbu) to SunTV.

Now these two patched up and so for his forthcoming release of Kandasami, Thanu had SunTV cover even their promo function earlier this year.

I believe it's the same thing with Balaji movies and SunTV - for Billa'07. BTW are clips/songs of this movie released to any other TV channel? Perhpas Kalaignar TV? Can someone from India confirm?

Originally posted by jenim

I believe it's the same thing with Balaji movies and SunTV - for Billa'07. BTW are clips/songs of this movie released to any other TV channel? Perhpas Kalaignar TV? Can someone from India confirm?

Actually Kalaignar tv was the first channel to show promo of Billa on deeppavali. Maybe they brought the exclusive rights to broadcast in tvs, but if that is the case, they did buy sivaji but still showed promos?

Only time I saw the clips was during Ajiths every first interview after a long long gap(will come back to this interview later on😊)

Thanks for the info Usha.
UP, how much has Sivaji grossed so far?

What are the records it has set?

It'll be interesting to see how it will impact Bollywood. Is Shriya in the remake too?

Originally posted by jagdu

Is Shriya in the remake too?

God, I honestly, sincerely hope not!!!