Debate Mansion

Debate - Reality Shows Vs TV Soaps (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

ProdigalStudent

IF-Dazzler

ProdigalStudent

Posted: 26 December 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged
I prefer reality shows, but only for hindi shows. If you'd ask me what I'd prefer in English shows, I would say tv soaps. Thats because most of the Hindi soaps are repetitive and have no versitality, its always the same old story in a new package. They're so predictable. Its boring and frustating to watch, like Kyunki etc. If they'd more intelligent drama shows like DMG and CHA, I would definately prefer the tv soaps industry.

Reality shows are a breath of fresh air in this stagnant ekta kapoor monopolized industry of India. They have drama, comedy, twists and turns. They don't drag and they don't bore. They're real, and they end, they give you closure.

The one advantage reality tv has to the soap industry is that they cannot deviate from the concept of the show. Indian Idol will always be about singing, Nach Baliye will always be about dancing. Sanjeevani, Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu thi are examples of shows which have deviated from their main concept,because they're supposed to be long-running. Thus the show becomes stagnant, boring, and draggy. In this respect I feel the american tv industry is better, they have seasons in which they stick to the concept.

But the indian tv industry has a lot of scope, they have excellent actors/actresses, if only we stop the ekta kapoor style of soaps and have something new and interesting shows like DMG etc. Then who knows, one day I might prefer soaps to reality tv.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Debate - Reality Shows Vs TV Soaps (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Tani91

IF-Sizzlerz

Tani91

Posted: 26 December 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged
I actually like both because The Indian Telly insudtry has grown a lot with many new faces and "role models" and with so many channels and stuff...so acting is quite good and in daily soaps actually you can laugh at how the character does something or what the scene does or whatever...I mean the vamps in the show...I always make fun of them and stuff like that..

in reality shows you can see a person's strength and weakness and also how they grow at the talent theyare shwoing..but then the TRP gimmikcs get annoying...but see either way we get entertained so it doesnt matter for me..it just has to be interseting.

~Simz~

IF-Rockerz

~Simz~

Saath Phere Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 26 December 2007 at 10:36pm | IP Logged
I like both. both are interesting in their own way.But when i miss a TV show i get restless till i haven't seen or read the update. Missing reality show doesn't bother me that much.

tukz_REmix

IF-Rockerz

tukz_REmix

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 1:53am | IP Logged
i wil go wid reality shows.....cuz daily soaps r veerry affectionate....n den v strt wathcin n like it den its veeerry tuuf 2 control ourslves frm npt watchin it....whereas reality shows r not liek dat...evn if v miss a epi v dont feel da sad as v usually do wid daily soaps...
n agn (TO ME)most of d daily soaps r full of saas bahu thngs n cryin n all dat...wich mst of d youngsters hate.....so frm dat view agn i prefer reality shows...
wil edit my pst agn Wink

Khaya

IF-Stunnerz

Khaya

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 2:48am | IP Logged
I like watching both!

nightangel

IF-Sizzlerz

nightangel

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged

nice topic of debate. For me both get 50%. newayz d way we heard  controversy 4 reality shows, made rong impact of dhr furture.

as far as Tv soaps concern it is far 4m reality so dhr is no comparison btn both of dhm. both set dhr unique standard. Embarrassed 

veracity

IF-Sizzlerz

veracity

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
@meteora_smt: That was a superb, concise and accurate post.Clap I agree with everything you've said.

The American TV industry's system of operating shows on a seasonal basis provides for more intelligent scripts, refreshed actors/actresses who actually get a hiatus from the show and it promotes good competition as viewers have the time to give attention to quality shows. Emphasis on the quality, as the Indian TV has an abundant choice of shows but there is not much variety.   

The Balaji K-serials that dominate Indian TV at times can be a entertaining when a fresh new talent is introduced and your drawn into rooting for your fav. characters, but then the novelty wears off and your left with a repetitive, stagnant and predictable story.

The reality shows serves to break up the monotony of Indian TV by showcasing and honing the talents of ppl from all walks of life. Albeit, the questionable judging, biased voting and producers manipulation of the reality in the reality shows can be frustrating but that is short-lived since the show ends in due course. Unlike the Indian shows that drag and lose continuity in their haste to stretch the story and keep the show everlasting.

Indian TV has reached such heights with its international platform and with tellywood more readily crossover with Bollywood, vice versa but it still not tapping into the full potential of the entertainment industry. Confined to these saas-bahu dramas with the rare off-beat dramas like LRL, Four etc being telecasted on the less popular channels. The trend towards versatile shows will not be successful until the run of the mill saas-bahu shows take a backseat.

Ekta wields too much power in the industry and although i'm grateful to her for scouting out such great talented actors/actresses but it'd be nice if she aimed to please the audience and bring in original concepts in her story.   Balaji is in the best position to afford to work on the content of the saas-bahu shows and can improve their standards if the producers, writers are willing to try. The TRPs will take care of themselves once the mediocrity is resolved.   

However, i'd rather not see an over abundance of reality shows either as that can become irritating as it means the writers have all dried up and all your left with unscripted shows. So if Indian TV can strike a balance between the two it would be ideal.

supriyodas

supriyodas

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 11:19pm | IP Logged
I like realty show

Post Reply New Post

Go to top