Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

nitasuni

nitasuni

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged

****ViewBie's Note****

Merged views on this topic from this post  ... this topic has been discussed before, problem in merging to a  old topic, reason have opened a new post.You can search on topic name, there are infact some great POV's discussed previously also.

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by nitasuni

Some food can effect the mood of persons for example eating chocolate enhance the happy mood likewise eating chilly, onion etc enhance hot tempered nature.  Eating less spicy and  food make people gentle.  and people eating vegetable are more healthy and gentle.  Eating meat which is a secondary product in an eccosystem  make a person less healthy and shows/enhance  the nature of predator in man. (based on articles in different magazines)

Good, I prefer being a tiger rather than a bakra.

Dada ..why are you roaring like Royal bengal tigerTongue

@ Tiger Souro dada: Agree! Even the rig vedic times and vedic traditions,puja...have MEAT prasad to GOD's.....Is'nt the procedure called BALI....fortunately or unfortunately....GODS are non vegetarian....

I donot exactly know from which point..the vegetarian concept of GOD occured....vedic times..all the offerings of animals was there.....

I think ...not sure....As the man developed.....as he became more civilized...as he learnt growing crops.....as he learnt.....farming ..he learnt proper utilization of the resources in nature.....the VEGETARIAN CONCEPT EVOLVED....I  wonder if people in old stone age....were vegetariansTongue

coming back to Raj ji's question of no NV days of a week.....it just shows that HUMANS somewhere feel in the mind /heart that ..eating NV is not a good thing..its a rakshasa nature...rakshasa...means not divine....so we humans want to understand Daiva (godly ) matters..once in a while...so then ..they want to do only divine things on those days...so some donot eat non veg on those days...

But...

Sunday is for Sun GOD(Surya)   The Devata of Sun  is Siva hence it is also a days of Siva

Monday is for Shiva

Tuesday is for Hanuman      For Muruka and  Kali/ Durga here in Kerala.

Wednesday is for Saraswathi/Ganesh    In Kerala it is for Sri Krishna

Thursday is Saibababa       In  Kerala it is for Vishu

Friday is for Lakshmi      For kali and all other Devi's including Lakshmi

Saturday is for Vishnu/Balaji.....  Here it is for Ayyappa/Sasta

So which day should we skip..which GOD is lessTongue

These just show...some traditions are for our convinienceLOL

I agree with your Vedic referenceand explaination about vegetaianisam. In vedas it is clearly said about animal sacrifice.

Edited by raj5000 - 20 December 2007 at 4:28pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Vegetarian Vs Non Vegetarian" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged

Some food can effect the mood of persons for example eating chocolate enhance the happy mood likewise eating chilly, onion etc enhance hot tempered nature.  Eating less spicy and  food make people gentle.  and people eating vegetable are more healthy and gentle.  Eating meat which is a secondary product in an eccosystem  make a person less healthy and shows/enhance  the nature of predator in man. (based on articles in different magazines)

Good, I prefer being a tiger rather than a bakra.

Dada ..why are you roaring like Royal bengal tigerTongue

@ Tiger Souro dada: Agree! Even the rig vedic times and vedic traditions,puja...have MEAT prasad to GOD's.....Is'nt the procedure called BALI....fortunately or unfortunately....GODS are non vegetarian....

I donot exactly know from which point..the vegetarian concept of GOD occured....vedic times..all the offerings of animals was there.....

I think ...not sure....As the man developed.....as he became more civilized...as he learnt growing crops.....as he learnt.....farming ..he learnt proper utilization of the resources in nature.....the VEGETARIAN CONCEPT EVOLVED....I  wonder if people in old stone age....were vegetariansTongue

coming back to Raj ji's question of no NV days of a week.....it just shows that HUMANS somewhere feel in the mind /heart that ..eating NV is not a good thing..its a rakshasa nature...rakshasa...means not divine....so we humans want to understand Daiva (godly ) matters..once in a while...so then ..they want to do only divine things on those days...so some donot eat non veg on those days...

But...

Sunday is for Sun GOD(Surya)   The Devata of Sun  is Siva hence it is also a days of Siva

Monday is for Shiva

Tuesday is for Hanuman      For Muruka and  Kali/ Durga here in Kerala.

Wednesday is for Saraswathi/Ganesh    In Kerala it is for Sri Krishna

Thursday is Saibababa       In  Kerala it is for Vishu

Friday is for Lakshmi      For kali and all other Devi's including Lakshmi

Saturday is for Vishnu/Balaji.....  Here it is for Ayyappa/Sasta

So which day should we skip..which GOD is lessTongue

These just show...some traditions are for our convinienceLOL

I agree with your Vedic referenceand explaination about vegetaianisam. In vedas it is clearly said about animal sacrifice.

Wohi tho!

I don't understand from where this VEGETARIANISM evolved...from which point of history this BRAHMINS and other so called VEGETARIAN tribes evolved.....

I feeel happy if anyone helps me on this matterTongue......

souro

souro

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged

Even before man learnt farming they used to eat vegetables and fruits, through what's known as gathering. And can you really say that people who are vegetarian are more civilised. Somehow, during the ancient ages when Indians were non-vegetarians, they were more advanced. Later they became vegetarians, and whatever did they achieve?? The vegetarian population of India (especially Brahmins), from the middle ages and even today, associate a snob value to being vegetarian and look down on others who are non-vegetarians. So, what great things have they done by becoming vegetarian?? Infact all rubbush laws and rituals were made by them in the middle ages. And even now when Indians feel so great for being vegetarians, people (including those very vegetarians) are all the time running away to other countries, having predominantly non-vegetarian food habits, for better oppurtunities. Hah, some greatness we're always talking about.

Ritika2025

Goldie

Ritika2025

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 9:35am | IP Logged

Even before man learnt farming they used to eat vegetables and fruits, through what's known as gathering. And can you really say that people who are vegetarian are more civilised. Somehow, during the ancient ages when Indians were non-vegetarians, they were more advanced. Later they became vegetarians, and whatever did they achieve?? The vegetarian population of India (especially Brahmins), from the middle ages and even today, associate a snob value to being vegetarian and look down on others who are non-vegetarians. So, what great things have they done by becoming vegetarian?? Infact all rubbush laws and rituals were made by them in the middle ages. And even now when Indians feel so great for being vegetarians, people (including those very vegetarians) are all the time running away to other countries, having predominantly non-vegetarian food habits, for better oppurtunities. Hah, some greatness we're always talking about.

Now Now...Thats what s called extreme generalisation

Myth isnt totally Incorrect...Before Man started farming, he gathered food..Bt then such edible plants were not found in one region ie. he needed to search for them...And he  also hunted animals.
After he started farming, He cud grow eatables at a place and hence it became convenient for him to obtain it that way...So FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE as well, he started Prefering vegetables and cereals over Animals...Pretty natural I wud say...

And for that Most Indians thing, A lot of Indians are Non vegetarian...Vegetarianism by culture is Rampant only in North India..(evolved becuase of Abundance of Cereals there)
Fish is a major food in West bengal, Goa, parts of South India  etc simply becuase of Abundance...

And the ANCIENT AGE If u mean Vedic age ppl were Predominantly Vegetarians only though meat was offered in sacrifices... If  you meant Indus civilisation, wheat and Barley were their staple crops

AND even today a lot of ppl are Vegetarians by choice.....Not because of any rule.. (That includes me too simply )...

And I personally have never met anyone PROUD of being a vegetarian Though I am definitely proud of The Wide variety of vegeatian and Non vegetarian ( Yummy Mughlai for one) dishes Indian cuisines have to offerSmile

Edited by Ritika2025 - 20 December 2007 at 9:45am

souro

souro

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ritika2025

Not generalisation but the truth. South Indian brahmins who work in temples, won't eat together with people who're non-vegetarians (even if they're having vegetarian food at that time). And many vegetarian act as if how can someone eat non-vegetarian food.

Myth isnt totally Incorrect...Before Man started farming, he gathered food..Bt then such edible plants were not found in one region ie. he needed to search for them...And he  also hunted animals.
After he started farming, He cud grow eatables at a place and hence it became convenient for him to obtain it that way...So FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE as well, he started Prefering vegetables and cereals over Animals...Pretty natural I wud say...

I'm not saying that whatever Myth said is incorrect. Human are omnivorous, everyone knows that, so consuming meat is also pretty natural. It has nothing to do with civilised or uncivilised and it certainly doesn't prove the same.

And for that Most Indians thing, A lot of Indians are Non vegetarian...Vegetarianism by culture is Rampant only in North India..(evolved becuase of Abundance of Cereals there)
Fish is a major food in West bengal, Goa, parts of South India  etc simply becuase of Abundance...

That's the point, many are non-vegetarian here but those who're vegetarian act superior. What you said I'd already mentioned in another thread, that food habits are mostly determined by availability. But there are some here who try to prove vegetarians as superior to non-vegetarians.

qwertyesque wrote:
its human nature. It wont stop or change...until everybody becomes vegetarian....since thats a sure sign of change from a primitive state we started with...and ability to stay that way defines the character..of the species as a whole. Smile

Do you mean to say that vegetarian people don't go to wh*re houses?? Confused Food habits usually depict what is more available in that region, rather than giving an idea of how advanced the people are.

And the ANCIENT AGE If u mean Vedic age ppl were Predominantly Vegetarians only though meat was offered in sacrifices... If  you meant Indus civilisation, wheat and Barley were their staple crops.

We're not talking about staple crops here. Everyone consume vegetables, it's whether they consume meat or not.

AND even today a lot of ppl are Vegetarians by choice.....Not because of any rule.. (That includes me too simply )...

And I personally have never met anyone PROUD of being a vegetarian Though I am definitely proud of The Wide variety of vegeatian and Non vegetarian ( Yummy Mughlai for one) dishes Indian cuisines have to offerSmile

D'uh, can that be because you're a vegetarian yourself. But there are people who act superior because of that. If you want some example look in this forum itself and you'll find it.

Edited by souro - 20 December 2007 at 10:20am

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged

Hey You! What's the issueSmile......Am not bothered to degrade any one ..You can count me into that sect of PROUD VEGETARIAN BRAHMINSmile....I really feel proud for being a VEGETARIAN and I respect more the people who turn to VEGETARIANS by choice...I agree with you there are tons of PSEUDO BRAHMNINS who just pose to be VEG Brahmins but literally die for NON VEG FOOD.

FOOD Habits NEVER MAKE A PERSON SUPERIOR TO OTHER...

But the issue is DOES THE DIET WE EAT HAVE IMPACT ON OUR THOUGHT PROCESS AND OUR EMOTIONS......

If it has impact..then all the VEGETARIANS....make this WORLD A BETTER SOCIETY....AN INTELLIGENT WORLD.....but ..is it happening in reality is the issue....

As far as my knowledge is concerned...the diet we have DEFINETELY has its IMPACT on our Thought and intelligence.....most of the people who eat GHAS PHOOS are sharper than people who eat lot of meat.....

When you look at mythological stories....Rakshas..Demons....used to kill humans and animals and they used to have them as they are.....it was depicted that those Rakshas..did'nt have much brain..they had only body ..but no brains...this is KEY POINT used in several mythological stories...to extend the stories further..in the glorification of the GODS....

say for instance..this stirring of milk ocean story..rakshas and devatas..both stirred the milk ocean..the foolishness of the Rakshas is cleverly used by the GODS and the AMRUT is taken away from them.....these mythlogical stories just convey the message of morals in interesting manner...

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ritika2025

And the ANCIENT AGE If u mean Vedic age ppl were Predominantly Vegetarians only though meat was offered in sacrifices... If  you meant Indus civilisation, wheat and Barley were their staple crops

Hi Ritika ji!

Welcome to Debate Mansion...

Thankyou for such a nice postSmile

Ritika2025

Goldie

Ritika2025

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged
@ souro

south Indian Brahmins who work in temples are a fairly small segment...So saying Vegetarian Indians do so is pretty much a generalisation...

Sorry Bt i can give examples of ppl whom i know, no personal element was intended... What I meant was that I happen to be both A brahmin and a vegetarian BY CHOICE whereas My brother is a ovo-vegetarian and rest of my family pure VGs And my ppl and acquaintances are composed of both..
However, Never have I met a relative, acquaintance telling us they are superior...

And as for some ppl...Well you take anything at all and atleast Some ppl will have a problem with that... LOL
Thats ppls own belief...Just like someone wud think of a car as a status symbol, someone else might not...

Vegetarianism vs non vegetariansm is a personal matter pf choice, meither related to the topic nor the issue of debate..
Bt I suppose getting Personal or giving hints isnt a gud idea

P.s. DOes anyone Know why we arent supposed to open books the day next to DIwali..Wud love to know a scientific explanation to that (if any)

Edited by Ritika2025 - 20 December 2007 at 10:38am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top