Generalization is Good / Bad?

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Based on exposure to Biology in 11th / 12th and dictionary meaning I understand generalization is a way to identify living being based on common well defined traits. That way if one knows what category a particular plant / Animal belong, could jot down (during practical exams) the characteristics commonly associated..atleast B+ was assured 😆

Now bringing generalization as it is applicable in common man's or woman's😆 world (am guilty of this one at times too...) For eg. went to a Thai rest. couple of days bak ..first visit of server was with water having no ice...😆..immediately ordered coke and lunch...this guy was staring at water and asked me why there is no ice when server left. I was like coz most desi order "water - no ice and Cashew nut Chicken with no chicken/meat" 😆...he was like 😕 said chill and asked him to request server whatever he wants... won't say more on what he ordered 😆 point is generalization.

I personally don't like generalization in few senarios rest are subjected to ignorance.

hmm Toh debate is:-

In general walk of life is generalization is good way of identifying individuals with common traits or its a no no thing, generalization is not good?

Related : Would you as an individual be offended on being generalized?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morning_Dew thumbnail
Generalization during initial interaction is not bad..infact helpful especially if you are related to any field of public relation .
mermaid_QT thumbnail
not a good thing at all..

Ritika2025 thumbnail
Balance !!

Generalisation is Fine to certain extent...Helps recognise common trait ...And without generalisation, we wont have any theories...

Bt then, u cant go on Generalising everything..After all exceptions form the rule
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Morning_Dew

Generalization during initial interaction is not bad..infact helpful especially if you are related to any field of public relation .

First impression is last one 😆 with pre-defined notions in mind you won't get to the individuality of that person  or say group, will yaa?

I agree with Ritika2025. It is okay to generalize to some extent but you can't go too far into it. Then the person would just get offended.
Morning_Dew thumbnail
😆

Originally posted by: raj5000

First impression is last one ðŸ˜† with pre-defined notions in mind you won't get to the individuality of that person  or say group, will yaa?

Generalization is part of first impression not a complete first Impression. In your eg you mentioned a person related to sales , for such people generalization really helps during early interactions. Even other than sales in every day life it helps one can   figure  out about the topics of discussion on basis of a person's origin.  for eg. with a white American it is "usually" useless to talk about anything other than America . With a Euorpean you can discuss wide range of topics including politics of different areas of world , they most of the time know where India \Pakistan situated on world map. Exceptions are there which  you can figure out during the talk. 😊

lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: raj5000

I personally don't like generalization in few senarios rest are subjected to ignorance.

hmm Toh debate is:-

In general walk of life is generalization is good way of identifying individuals with common traits or its a no no thing, generalization is not good?

Related : Would you as an individual be offended on being generalized?

Some generalization is very good actually. 😛 It lifts us more then we deserve. 😆  e.g All Indian kids are brainy and top in maths and science subjects.

And if generalization is on the lower side , it gives us oppurtunity to prove them wrong. 😈. But usually people generalize for the better unless one looks shabby.