Music has no language ? - Page 2

Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by Dabulls23

Anshu interesting topic. Appreciated all views so far.

This is going off the topic from music to dancing.

I see similar on Reality show about dancing like JDJ and Nach baliye shows. On JDJ where it says "Dancing with the stars" and we are supposed to see Latin dances but we see more of bollywood dances and they judge basically on local dance style. Most judges have no clue on Latin dances or techniques but they are judging the contestants.

Exactly DB, I meant on similar lines. Don't get me started on JDJ judging this year.. 😆😆

Originally posted by lighthouse

I haven't heard those songs you mentioned Raj , but I think I know what you mean- isn't pronounciation of words one of the criteria in judging these reality shows? 😕

As far as enjoyment goes - I have seen Guyanese Indians and Americans enjoying bollywood music even when they don't understand a word of it.

Yes pronounciation and feel of words is definately a criteria... but if I don't know the language how can I say prono or feel was right.

Yeah as I mentioned di dis...uno do.. trex... the music itself is so enchanting that however sung I won't care. "However sung " ? 😉

Originally posted by qwertyesque

@ 1, 2, 3 yes they can judge it. As I said every word in a song can be replaced with Sa, re ga...etc or do re, me...Am not maestro toh hear your point.... so music gurus mind can auto translate words in sa re ga ma, runtime...awesome 😆 it doenst have to be words when its about music.... which is why we have the musical alphabet..I understand the value music alone without lyrics/words/being sung....but for a complete song words are imp...When somebody appreciates singing its never about lyrics its about ability to produce the right tone, breath control. and sustainability...so instead of lyrics if any rhyming words that would be acceptable or say likeable?  if someone cant say "ranjish-e-ilm ki nawazish" sure they cant be ghazal singers but they can still be singers if they can use the musical alphabet...😊 A mother humming a tune can put a child to bed doesnt have to have pari, chand rajkumar.... etc... or a story...etc.No it just have to have Gabbar Singh 😆😆

Originally posted by Anu.Rad

Nice topic Anshu.. I hv myself wondered this many a times!!

Here are my 2 cents:

Lyrics is definitely important as a part of one song.. We can enjoy the music, but cannot feel them.. With appropriate lyrics for the music, we can understand them and feel the song.. I personally believe that only if you feel the song, you can get the essence of music..

There are songs of Kishore sung in both Bengali and Hindi but I would prefer listening to the Hindi version as that will be more soothing to my ears and I can get the mood.. I may enjoy Bengali version, but cannot get the mood of the song being sung..

If music was the only criteria, then why do we have lyricists and singers singing the song? We can just have MDs composing tunes without lyrics...

As pointed out, in a reality show we need to know what the singer is singing to judge them.. We can judge it based upon the technical aspects, but if we do not know the lyrics, we cant say if he is singing with the feelings or not..

👏👏 Very Well Said, esp at red! thoughts in words beautifully put Anu!

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Music in itself has no language. It is purely rhythm, meter, scale, notes etc. Lyrics can easily be substituted with any syllables. Music can be enoyed for the music without the lyrics. In fact remove the lyrics and you have a nice accoustic version. So many local and international groups have transcended the language barrier in the music industry.

Won't disagree and good info.

Lyrics add an extra dimension to the music. Lyrics can be used in different means - in rap lyrics and the lyrical rhythm is of utmost importance even if its nonsesnical. In techno, trance and house the lyric is usually the same set of words repeated over and over again, being a beat centric genre the lyrics are selected to fit the tempo.In death metal the lyrics are absolutely distorted and harsh. A lot of genres of music can be enjoyed without lyrics at all.

On the other hand lyrics can add a whole extra layer of meaning, emotion and feel to a song. The piece of music now becomes a complete song with accompanying vocals, each complementing each other. This is where performance counts big time. An ordinary singer will merely sing a song. Performance can be as limited to varied facial expressions and hand gestures, a body language that can emit the feel or it can be as exhubarent as moving around, bringing in props and portaying it like a story.

At bold yes, but performance... audios to bring out feel of song with right integrients as you mentioned.

However, the fact remains that without knowing the lyrics it is hard to judge if a contestant is giving the right feel of the song. But conveying the feel of the song is more in performance and less in singing. Multilingual singing contests judge voice quality, throw of the voice, pitch, scale, various mannerisms. I would expect the jduges familiarize themselves with the original song first to know the basics like rhythm etc.

yeah, I am coming closer on agreeing with yaa and Qwerty,,😊 that technicalities in a song can be assessd, but guess that not enough. Right, I agree on judges to do thier home work before judging multilingual compe..ns.

But when you consider music with no boundaries you have to look towards the Eurovision Song Contest perhaps the biggest and longest running reality music contest - over 40 countries participating, 600 million viewers in over 140 countries around the world. All kinds of music from Nordic, Greek, Gaelic, from Western to Middle Eastern, From Classical and Folk to Pop and Rock. Winners voted by the viewers of each of the participating countries. It really shows music has no language at all.

Am sorry cann't stop 😆😆 ... with biasing and ever growing population we sure hold great chances in winning such competition even if moderate okay singer participates...not to miss... little salt and pepper addition by media " India ki Shaan " and wat not... BTW - Nice post Sarina!

Edited by raj5000 - 16 years ago

Originally posted by raj5000

😆

Originally posted by raj5000

But when you consider music with no boundaries you have to look towards the Eurovision Song Contest perhaps the biggest and longest running reality music contest - over 40 countries participating, 600 million viewers in over 140 countries around the world. All kinds of music from Nordic, Greek, Gaelic, from Western to Middle Eastern, From Classical and Folk to Pop and Rock. Winners voted by the viewers of each of the participating countries. It really shows music has no language at all.

Am sorry cann't stop 😆😆 ... with biasing and ever growing population we sure hold great chances in winning such competition even if moderate okay singer participates...not to miss... little salt and pepper addition by media " India ki Shaan " and wat not... BTW - Nice post Sarina!

[/QUOTE]

The Best thing about the ESC is that the countries are not allowed to vote for themselves. Each country has to vote for a different one to avoid such biases. The ESC song contest finals will be on 24th May 2008. It is usually webcast live for free. If you enjoy music especially Europop, Eurodance or Eurofolk this is a must watch show. The vote tallying can get intense. It is more fun if you can be in a European country to watch.

Originally posted by return_to_hades

The Best thing about the ESC is that the countries are not allowed to vote for themselves. Each country has to vote for a different one to avoid such biases. The ESC song contest finals will be on 24th May 2008. It is usually webcast live for free. If you enjoy music especially Europop, Eurodance or Eurofolk this is a must watch show. The vote tallying can get intense. It is more fun if you can be in a European country to watch.

Pardon the ignorance "Winners voted by the viewers of each of the participating countries." I thought all votes for all... thanks for clarifying...will check it out.