Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Jane* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Maybe it is that you consider obsession to be something putrid. An emotion that hurts the person and the people around them. That's not true. Sure there are a few weirdoes out there but obsessive love is different from pure love in the sense that when it's obsessive you care about yourself and what you get from that other person that you love (it's a great desire for longing and want for that other person) while pure love is where you love them and want them to be happy no matter the cost to you.
You yourself said that most love is not pure. Most couples have just plain love (somewhere in-between pure and obsessive - give and take, meeting half-way on the road compromising type of love and is almost always reciprocated). Obsessive love isn't exactly something that can only be felt by those who are insane. As long as the emotion is intense enough for the person they love.
I consider James Potter to have had an obsessive love for Lily at one point which turned into the more mundane and common - love.

Originally posted by: lucky_lakshmi

Yeah I guess I agree there...but sumthing mroe too which made him prepaare to overlook the fact that she was a "Mudblood"(sry for the expression)...he jeered on all other Muggle Borns..But he didnt care if she was one![/quote]
Of course he didn't care. She was the first person who even bothered to care about him. He wasn't about to start questioning here validity to be his friend when she was the only true friend he had.

[Quote=lucky_lakshmi]haha..plz yaar..U are choking me!! Plz dont ruin this character whom JK Rowling herself calls "a gift of a character"! I am sure that he did none of that stupidity...no one knew he loved Lily so much...not even Lily...[/quote]
lol I was just brainstorming. It's not impossible for him to have done those things. And I agree he is a "gift of a character." I adore him he's one of my most favorite's. The list goes something like this: Draco M., Severus S., Harry P., Hermione G., Albus D...

*Jane* thumbnail

Yes indeed..which was what I said b4 that Snape's feeling of personal responsibilty for Lily's death was one of the deciding factors of the Choice he made in Dumbledore's Office that day after Lily's death...But I completely disagree with ur point that Snape protected Harry coz of guilt....[/quote]

You have two contradictory points here. The only reason why Snape joined Dumbledore was because he wanted to protect Lily and when that was out of the question, his reason became Harry (why else but because he is Lily's kid). No matter how he loathed the very idea of protecting "the brat". Guilt for being responsible for her death and loyalty to the only true friend he's ever had.

I'd hardly compare Snape informing (A clever guy like that would have known it would hurt someone) dear Voldie this prophetic message to what Sirius did to protect his friends. Whether he knew of who the prophesy concerned is beside the point. He was doing something for Voldemort, and chances of anything bad happening because of it to someone/anyone/everyone was high. Sirius's advice to James and Lily to switch secret keepers was so he could protect them. He knew that he'll be the likely candidate to be seeked out for secret keeper and he felt it'll be wiser to chose someone who was the least likely. Thus, if he was tortured and he cracked, he wouldn't have the information they want.
A situation where a friend was doing something to safeguard someone and a situation where a servant is going back to loyally give answers to the master without questioning is simply incomparable, IMO.

I agree with you here, that Snapes love (it's still obsession to me) was probably one of the deciding factors to why Snape devoted his life to protecting Harry.

*Jane* thumbnail

N U call it wierd..whats WIERD anyway?? He went to Grimmauld Place to search the place to make sure that no clues of the OOTP are left behind...
an while he was searching, he found a letter of Lily's n obviously he tore the letter and took the latter half which had her "LOVE" (It was signed "Love, Lily")😉 whats wierd..he loved her and she never did and now he took sumthing hat had her love..I dun find it out of character at all..It was he least wierd thing he did!😆[/quote]

Obsessive much, creepy very much. It's very obsessive. I don't know how you can call this just plain love…

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Jane*

Maybe it is that you consider obsession to be something putrid. An emotion that hurts the person and the people around them. That's not true.

well therein lies the differences in our opinions..according to our ddefintions of this concered Love v/s Obsession, our understanding too differs...
I am not saying Obsession is "Putrid"..I am just saying that if the feeling Snape had for Lily was Obsession, h wudnt have survived after that terrible incident that tore apart his life..N two it wudnt have lasted him so long as to abandon everything and live just for it..
Indeed I myself said that all kinds of Love are Tainted in oe way or the other..But in all Fairness, Jk Rowling has ppotrayed his love for Lily as one which originally began with passionate longing to one which became quite sacred and pure...

chatterbox thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

👏👏

what a debate between jane and LL didnt know my topic wud bring so many views

both of u r right in ur views

u must be thinking i started the topic but i vanished mid way

i have been reading  and u both r amazing

wonderful debate

keep it going

wud love to read ur views more

i know about LL  when the book was released there were so many unanswerd questions running and so much  LL said

i knew she wud be answering this post

continue please

i love it

*Jane* thumbnail
It seems we have come to an impasse regarding the obsession vs. love issue. Lets just say that we're both right, given our understanding of what constitutes as obsession and what constitutes as Love...though it's understandable why that is, love isn't exactly a definable emotion regardless of how hard people have tried to define it.

Yeah..Not too appealing brainstorming! I too started adoring him after Prince's Tale..N now when I read the older books of the series when Snape is sarcastic n sneering n kinda cruel..I cant resist laughing somehow!😉😃😆
he is one of ma fav characters too...My list starts from Dumbledore, Lupin, Snape...😳[/quote]
Actually, Book 6 was the one that questioned my loyalty to this character like book 5 was the one that questioned my loyalty to Dumbledore. (I can't remember ever not liking those two characters). While many so called fans decided to abandon them, I was with both, holding on to any scrap of info I could find that could reasonably explain why they did what they did. As I said before there was a point in time when I considered Dumbledore to do no wrong but book 5 was when I think I was hit with the proverbial truth stick and was dragged kicking and screaming to the idea that Dumbledore is not infallible.

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Originally posted by: chatterbox

👏👏

what a debate between jane and LL didnt know my topic wud bring so many views

both of u r right in ur views

u must be thinking i started the topic but i vanished mid way

i have been reading  and u both r amazing

wonderful debate

keep it going

wud love to read ur views more

i know about LL  when the book was released there were so many unanswerd questions running and so much  LL said

i knew she wud be answering this post

continue please

i love it

I am soo glad Yar that U like our discussion...I myself, though get bpored when Someone absoluetly is determined to contradict me, am enjoying this debate with Jane coz evidently we both wanna prove we have understood this stuff better!😆😉
tukz_REmix thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
orrreey bapre......gud goin bod of u 😉 😉
lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Jane*

It seems we have come to an impasse regarding the obsession vs. love issue. Lets just say that we're both right, given our understanding of what constitutes as obsession and what constitutes as Love...though it's understandable why that is, love isn't exactly a definable emotion regardless of how hard people have tried to define it.

well..to each his own😊

*Jane* thumbnail

evidently Book 6 questioned  Snape's loyalty to Dumbledore..N DD put him in such a difficult Position..a position in which, had it been anyone else, he wud have just broken down..the pressure he was in...(which intensified I guess in Book 7)...god just unimaginable...But we understood and felt his loyalty after Prince's Tale na!? [/quote]
Loyalty to Lily? yes, to anyone else (including Dumbledore, I'm afraid)...not so much, IMHO. Given a choice between Dumbledore and Lily, I think he'll pick Lily even if she was going to be the next Dark Lady or something. Lily, IMO, comes first to him but not really the people she loves and cares for. If Lily wasn't in the picture and there was a choice between Dumbledore and Voldemort, he would choose Voldemort because 1)he has done that before and 2)Voldemort can offer what Dumbledore can't and that is free reign with the dark arts.

That's probably why, I suppose, I consider Snapes want for Lily an obsession rather then love because it's only her he wants not necessarily her happiness. As I mentioned earlier, he was willing to have the people she cared for sacrificed so she'll live, how is that supposed to bring her happiness?