Page 2 Page 2

DeSi*KuRi*

Goldie

DeSi*KuRi*

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 4:05am | IP Logged

Bollywood actors happy and gay!
7 Dec, 2007, 1015 hrs IST, IANS

Print

MUMBAI: Irrfan Khan has done the seemingly unthinkable in Mira Nair's AIDS-related film "Migration". He plays an unhappily married man in a secret anguished affair with another.

The film was screened at the 38th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) and also on TV for World AIDS Day.

Earlier, Sanjay Suri was the first mainstream hero to go happily gay in "My Brother Nikhil" and he has now decided to play another gay character in a forthcoming play.

So, have Bollywood actors decided to get over their inhibitions about tackling homosexuality?

Ranbir Kapoor: Play gay? Why not? I'd love to play any character that takes me into unexplored parts of my psyche. But first let me serenade all these lovely ladies in our movies.

Akshaye Khanna: It would depend entirely on the script.

Manoj Bajpai: I'd love to play a gay character if it's written well and it's part of a very good script.

Vinay Pathak: The excitement of portraying any character lies in the strength of the character's graph and progression vis-a-vis the plot and its conflicts. How a character helps a narrative grow is what interests me the most. The cast's sexual orientation and other factors are all secondary.

Rohit Roy: Playing gay? I don't mind at all. But it depends on the film and its director's intentions and most importantly how his sexual preference affects the film and his character. If homosexuality is intrinsic to the narrative and the director possesses the sensibilities of Mira Nair or Aparna Sen, I'd surely play gay. But I'd never play gay to titillate senseless mirth or to ridicule the gay community. My character's sexuality would have to drive the choices he makes in life, which in turn takes the picture forward.

Tusshar Kapoor: I'd play gay only if the director has the class and sensitivity to handle such a portrayal without making it a caricature or offensive.

Arshad Warsi: I'd willingly play a gay character. It will be a new challenge to me as an actor.

Anupam Kher: Playing gay is nothing new to me. I did it years ago in Rahul Rawail's "Mast Kalandar" and David Dhawan's "Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge".

Ravi Kishan: It's a big challenge for a straight guy to play gay. I'd love to play a gay character. I used to play Sita in the stage shows of Ramleela back home in Jaunpur.

Sammir Dattani: I must admit playing one makes me slightly uncomfortable at this stage of my career when I'm still finding my bearings. For my new film "Dhoom Dhadaka" I had to get into drag and I was very uneasy. It took Tom Hanks and Irrfan years before they came to "Philadelphia" and "Migration". I need to be experienced as an actor before I attempt a character so distanced from me.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Bollywood actors happy and gay!" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

DeSi*KuRi*

Goldie

DeSi*KuRi*

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 4:06am | IP Logged
its great that so many actors are willing to do more challenging roles!!! Tongue

khanrocks

IF-Stunnerz

khanrocks

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 4:06am | IP Logged
It is but no Ranbir i like you as a womans man not gay though LOL

kanchanamehta

kanchanamehta

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 4:51am | IP Logged

These days, everybody is performing their best, its a good change.

AmritaRao-Nina

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 5:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

*Jane*

*Jane*

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DeSi*KuRi*

Bollywood actors happy and gay!
7 Dec, 2007, 1015 hrs IST, IANS

Print

MUMBAI: Irrfan Khan has done the seemingly unthinkable in Mira Nair's AIDS-related film "Migration". He plays an unhappily married man in a secret anguished affair with another.

The film was screened at the 38th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) and also on TV for World AIDS Day.

Earlier, Sanjay Suri was the first mainstream hero to go happily gay in "My Brother Nikhil" and he has now decided to play another gay character in a forthcoming play.

So, have Bollywood actors decided to get over their inhibitions about tackling homosexuality?

Ranbir Kapoor: Play gay? Why not? I'd love to play any character that takes me into unexplored parts of my psyche. But first let me serenade all these lovely ladies in our movies.

Akshaye Khanna: It would depend entirely on the script.

Manoj Bajpai: I'd love to play a gay character if it's written well and it's part of a very good script.

Vinay Pathak: The excitement of portraying any character lies in the strength of the character's graph and progression vis-a-vis the plot and its conflicts. How a character helps a narrative grow is what interests me the most. The cast's sexual orientation and other factors are all secondary.

Rohit Roy: Playing gay? I don't mind at all. But it depends on the film and its director's intentions and most importantly how his sexual preference affects the film and his character. If homosexuality is intrinsic to the narrative and the director possesses the sensibilities of Mira Nair or Aparna Sen, I'd surely play gay. But I'd never play gay to titillate senseless mirth or to ridicule the gay community. My character's sexuality would have to drive the choices he makes in life, which in turn takes the picture forward.

Tusshar Kapoor: I'd play gay only if the director has the class and sensitivity to handle such a portrayal without making it a caricature or offensive.

Arshad Warsi: I'd willingly play a gay character. It will be a new challenge to me as an actor.

Anupam Kher: Playing gay is nothing new to me. I did it years ago in Rahul Rawail's "Mast Kalandar" and David Dhawan's "Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge".

Ravi Kishan: It's a big challenge for a straight guy to play gay. I'd love to play a gay character. I used to play Sita in the stage shows of Ramleela back home in Jaunpur.

Sammir Dattani: I must admit playing one makes me slightly uncomfortable at this stage of my career when I'm still finding my bearings. For my new film "Dhoom Dhadaka" I had to get into drag and I was very uneasy. It took Tom Hanks and Irrfan years before they came to "Philadelphia" and "Migration". I need to be experienced as an actor before I attempt a character so distanced from me.

It must be just as hard for a gay guy to play a straight character and yet they've been doing it for years and I'm not talking about just the actors/actresses. It seems in Bollywood gay character's are not ever in a romantic relationship while straight characters are, all the time. On top of that gay guys are severely stereotyped in the Bollywood movies that I've watched. Hollywood has their fair share of stereotypes too, IMO.

I know everyone can't be as open-minded but It's incredibly annoying to see "How do you feel about playing a gay character?" question crop up more then "How do you feel about playing a gay character?" as if everyone is straight until proven gay, so annoying.

maha786

IF-Rockerz

maha786

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged
well they r just telling like tat when they will actually get an offer no one will play

jassiee.

IF-Rockerz

jassiee.

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:53pm | IP Logged
OhOkay. LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top