Harry Potter

Dobby's voice weighs in on character's fa

sumera siddiqui thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

I've used this space before to write about how, out of all the characters in "Harry Potter" who kick the bucket, it was the death of Dobby the House Elf that hit me the hardest.

"What!" Toby Jones exclaimed in mock seriousness when MTV recently asked him about the character, who he voices. "He DIES?!?"

Ok, very funny Mr. Jones. But, seriously, not to get all Dr. Phil on you here, but how does that make you feel?

"I can only take a certain amount of credit for inhabiting Dobby, because clearly these brilliant people at Industrial Light and Magic have created Dobby and I just voiced the character," he humbly confessed. "[But] am always amazed and flattered at how much that character has endured even though he hasn't been in any films for a while. Every time a book comes out people phone me, and write to me from around the world saying 'He's in! He is in!'"

Of course, he HASN'T been in the movies, not since "Chamber of Secrets" anyway. But there may be no way around including him in "Deathly Hallows," thinks Jones, not now that he has what Jones calls a "tragic hero death [amid] a string of tragic deaths."

So if they came calling?

"I think it certainly would be fun to do his death," Jones said, a wry smile across his face. "It would be fun."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

But there may be no way around including him in "Deathly Hallows." There is a way - replacing him with Kreacher, but I hope they don't do that! 😭

Dobby is pivotal to the plot in the book. They really can't leave out his death. Although, given how much I cried when he died in the book, I'll probably have to take 2 boxes of tissues to the movie!
lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
yep I agree with Sumera..I nearly cried when Dobby died in DH...I hate Jo for taking so many loved characters away...though u cant take 'em away from our hearts!!! 😳
tukz_REmix thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
u r rite luky.....dey wil b LAWAYS be dere in our heart ALWAYS....but i htnk it WAS(dont kil me 4 sayin dis)essential 4 dobby 2 die....u no it was needed in mny fctrs...for eg. gripook blived harry....n it was one of d reseon dat harry made his deth bed wid his own hands widout usin magic

Originally posted by: lucky_lakshmi

yep I agree with Sumera..I nearly cried when Dobby died in DH...I hate Jo for taking so many loved characters away...though u cant take 'em away from our hearts!!! 😳

u r rite,they will always b in our hearts😳

Originally posted by: tukz_REmix

u r rite luky.....dey wil b LAWAYS be dere in our heart ALWAYS....but i htnk it WAS(dont kil me 4 sayin dis)essential 4 dobby 2 die....u no it was needed in mny fctrs...for eg. gripook blived harry....n it was one of d reseon dat harry made his deth bed wid his own hands widout usin magic

yeah I quite agree with u,Dobby's seath was needed,and he got what he wanted from Harry😊

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: tukz_REmix

I wont kill u Tukz for it coz I know it was essential..Many of the deaths were indeed Essential...Dobby's death was especially so coz as u said Griphhok's reaction at it but most importantly...it was when Harry dug Dobby's grave that he made the choice to follow the winding dangerous path set for him by Albus Dumbledore..Just to TRUST this man...bcoz he knew those bright blue reassurring eyes which had sent Dobby..he made a decisive choice at that moment...indded Dobby's death was essential but the fact that it was essential doesnt make it in any way less painful na?

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 16 years ago
Originally posted by: lucky_lakshmi

I wont kill u Tukz for it coz I know it was essential..Many of the deaths were indeed Essential...Dobby's death was especially so coz as u said Griphhok's reaction at it but most importantly...it was when Harry dug Dobby's grave that he made the choice to follow the winding dangerous path set for him by Albus Dumbledore..Just to TRUST this man...bcoz he knew those bright blue reassurring eyes which had sent Dobby..he made a decisive choice at that moment...indded Dobby's death was essential but the fact that it was essential doesnt make it in any way less painful na?

ya it's really painful,when i read that part,even now,tears start flowing down my cheeks,dunno why??😭