Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lighthouse thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

LH its like saying since Sunil dutt acted in mother india his marriage to Nargis could be deemed incestuous...πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

No Qwerts, it is not the same. If  Saif  were to romance Sharmila Tagore that  would be wrong but Sunil/Nargis in mother India is ok . I don't care what they do on-screen as long as it is within maryada, it is their real life relation that to me prevails over their work. Lovers or spouses can enact as siblings , fine but AB romancing his son's to be wife?  

However in real life most wives do mother their husbands a little hence mother India.πŸ˜†

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

No Qwerts, it is not the same. If  Saif  were to romance Sharmila Tagore that  would be wrong but Sunil/Nargis in mother India is ok . I don't care what they do on-screen as long as it is within maryada, it is their real life relation that to me prevails over their work. Lovers or spouses can enact as siblings , fine but AB romancing his son's to be wife?  

However in real life most wives do mother their husbands a little hence mother India.πŸ˜†

\πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.. true but no indian wife in the world cooks the mothers flavor of ma key haath ka gajar ka halwa.. is that a part of the ruthless romance..?.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I never liked Kajra re song because I dislike Ash and was under the impression that she was with Vivek then. I think it is hard to separate real relationships from reel relationships, it feels weird. Sometimes even reel relationships can be hard to digest. In the movie Clueless I could never get over the fact that Alicia Silverstones character hooks up with her step brother in the end, at the same time I chuckled at Karen's affection for her cousin in Mean Girls.
realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Anu.Rad

It has been noticed many times that people mainly from India lack sense of humor.. If any spoof of a person or anything is been made, few take it in the right spirit while others take it offensively..

You are right its majorly its true. But still Indians do have a sense of humour may be they dont like it being direted towards personality since Indians are very emotional people. Still I would to add that its more of how the individual takes it, some people are quite sporting. It also depends on how the humuor is presented.

For example the recent incident where Manoj Kumar, the actor got offended by a scene in Om Shanti Om where a spoof was enacted on him.. According to him it was not humor but it was making fun of him..

Oh Manoj Kumar has been reported to be very emotional and felt deeply commited to his patriotic image so much that he didnt play romantic roles after that. He still feels he must keep that image in high regard. I think we must respect his sentiments, whatever be the intention of SRK/Farah and they rightly apologised.

This is just one incident, while there are many incidents where people have been offended by a spoof on them..

If the spoof belittles a person then definitely one would be offended, it doesnt matter from which part of the world we belong to.

But there are many series in the west which actually presents spoof on the celebrities and they just take it as a humor..

The culture in west  differs from ours. We are strongly social society with strong social norms. Anything which harms our social image is not acceptable. We are lavish in praises and condemnation too. Social ostracization is a stigma. Anything that borders to mocking our entity is discouraged.

So, is it that we Indians lack sense of humor???

No definitely not we have had humour even in our religious scriptures

P.S - Concept taken from CNN-IBN poll..

realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I never liked Kajra re song because I dislike Ash and was under the impression that she was with Vivek then. I think it is hard to separate real relationships from reel relationships, it feels weird. Sometimes even reel relationships can be hard to digest. In the movie Clueless I could never get over the fact that Alicia Silverstones character hooks up with her step brother in the end, at the same time I chuckled at Karen's affection for her cousin in Mean Girls.

Glad to find someone in virtual world who doesnt like herπŸ€—although i still like the song.😊

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Yes mostly we do lack a sense of humor.. nut in this case Manoj kumar took objection against his being beaten by the police which can be insulting to an individual who hasnt been either doing illegal things or making such depictions in movies.....such humor could offend him... 😊

How many of us think throwing a banana peel in front of our parents and grandparents and see them fall is humorous..... we have a hierarchical culture and must respect it.. We dont fit well in the "Simpsons" humor...😊

At bold right... Indians = Store managers with funny accent... must be ammusing for all ...but if someone comments one has funny accent liek that guy in simpsons it is no more phunny but made fun of with an intend of insult Not appreciated for some ... in short yes depending on policy of hypocracy some lack sense of humor... if you know what I mean lolssssss

lighthouse thumbnail

\πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.. true but no indian wife in the world cooks the mothers flavor of ma key haath ka gajar ka halwa.. is that a part of the ruthless romance..?.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† Qwerts wait till you get used to your wife's cooking. you won't be saying that after all. I kid you not, my husband does not like his mum's food any more πŸ˜†, in fact he got into trouble once by telling her she should make aloo sabzi like I do.πŸ˜†.  Mom's still have an edge over the cooking when it comes to one or two things, only she can make it the way you like it though albeit with loads of butter, sugar or oil.πŸ˜› I USED to like my mom's cooking. πŸ˜†

Edited by lighthouse - 16 years ago
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

πŸ˜† Qwerts wait till you get used to your wife's cooking. you won't be saying that after all. I kid you not, my husband does not like his mum's food any more πŸ˜†, in fact he got into trouble once by telling her she should make aloo sabzi like I do.πŸ˜†.  Mom's still have an edge over the cooking when it comes to one or two things, only she can make it the way you like it though albeit with loads of butter, sugar or oil.πŸ˜› I USED to like my mom's cooking. πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† I know what you are talking about!!!

Coming back to the topic - I don't think we lack a sense of humour. We are good at making fun of others, pulling legs, and on rare occasions we make fun of ourselves, too. I mean OSO is a case in point - Amitabh saying Om Kapoor who?, Akshay in Return of the Khiladi, Abhishek getting up to receive the award before it's announced, or even his promo for Dhoom 5. And there's Funjabi on Star One!

Anuradha thumbnail
Thanks everyone for replying to the post.. It was nice to know the views of you all!!

We maynot lack sense of humor, but when compared to others in the west we definitely do lack.. Like someone rightly pointed it out, it maybe because of the culture that we follow here.. But the fact is, there are people who get offended by simple humor and others do not.. So, again it comes to difference of opinion from person to person..

So, for those people - should we have laws so they dont offended?

I don't know if this is off topic here but I cannot watch Kajra re song  cheerily and passionately with AB sr and jr both romancing Ash when it was a known fact that Ash and AB were dating.πŸ˜• I consider myself pretty easy going when it comes to humor and acting but still this is one of the things I cannot digest. 

And regarding Kajra Re issue, all i want to say is that they are actors and are here to entertain the public.. They are different in reel from real.. So, I guess even we should see it in different angle..

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Hmm! That can happen only after sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo
many years of marriage..however..in the infancy...in childhood...in youth...in middleage...men say "My Mommy is the best cook"...infact they realize the beauty of mom's  dishes only when they start cookingπŸ˜›
coming back to the topic:
I agree with ur thoughts LH ji😊..infact the cheeni kum jokes...were also