Health & Fitness

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/Fixation

tanveer.indian thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/11/stories/2007111161590300.htm

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

BANGALORE: Did you know that Michael Jackson suffers from something called body dysmorphic disorder which explains his pre-occupation with the way he looks and the innumerable surgeries he has reputedly undergone? And that nose-picking and skin-picking are signs of obsessive compulsive behaviour in some people?

These and other interesting facts about obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) were discussed at the two-day international conference on "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Current Understanding and Future Directions" hosted by the Department of Psychiatry at the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS) inaugurated here on Saturday.

The conference was inaugurated by R.M. Verma, Founder-Director of NIMHANS, and D. Nagaraja, Director and Vice-Chancellor, NIMHANS, was among those present.

Dan Stein, Chair, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cape Town, South Africa, said that there was good evidence to suggest that OCD was not uncommon, that it was mediated by particular psychobiological mechanisms and responded to both psychotherapy and medicines.

Recent advances in this area of psychiatry indicated that there were different types of compulsive and obsessive behaviours that purely do not classify as OCD but may in future be categorised as OCD spectrum disorders.

What is OCD?

It is a disorder characterised by obsessions, which are in the form of recurrent and persistent thoughts or images that are perceived as intrusive and inappropriate and compulsions are repetitive, unwanted behaviour. As much as one to two per cent of the population may have some form of OCD.

The most common types of OCD include 1. Fear of dirt and contamination.

Patients frequently fear that they may contract a disease or spread a disease because of exposure to contaminants.

The fear may occasionally be based on a subjective feeling of not being clean enough. For example, they may not touch doorknobs or light switches or other objects touched by others.

The cleaning compulsions include excessive or ritualised hand washing, showering, bathing and elaborate toilet routines.

2. Sexual or aggressive obsessions. These could be in the form of intrusive sexual thoughts/images about family members or the fear that they may harm loved ones through impulsive behaviour.

3. Repetitive behaviour. Some patients may repeat certain gestures and activities again and again such as putting a switch on and off continuously and checking things repeatedly before leaving home.

4. Hoarding. In such cases, people have difficulty getting rid of things and hoard them to the point that they create a clutter.

Some forms of OCD can take on extreme and bizarre proportions. According to David Mataix-Cols, senior lecturer, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College, London, disorders such as compulsive hoarding, when it exceeds all limits, can be devastating for the patient's family and detrimental to the health of the patient.

"Some patients hoard rotten food. We had examined an extreme case of a 60-year-old woman who was hoarding her own faeces.

She did not have any other psychotic behaviour, but the explanation she gave was that her identity was linked with her waste products and if she flushed it down, her identity would be lost."

Tanveer

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-x-Riddles-x- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I've been diagnosed with a light case of OCD x]

I need the whole repeating and reassuring thing and I need to be like "If one hand typed then so should the other" or else I feel un even.

Thats probs just because of me being a libran and trying to keep equality etc etc x]
Thanks for the info Tanveer<33
tanveer.indian thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: -x-Riddles-x-

I've been diagnosed with a light case of OCD x]

I need the whole repeating and reassuring thing and I need to be like "If one hand typed then so should the other" or else I feel uneven.

Thats probs just because of me being a libran and trying to keep equality etc etc x]
Thanks for the info Tanveer<33

You're welcome Rida.😊
Oh! I think the usage of both the hands for typing might solve the problem because most of us (including me/myself) use both.😕
Sometimes I've the problem of checking twice whether my residence is door locked properly before leaving home.😕😳
Sometimes I check twice/repeatedly whether I've left behind my two-wheeler ignition key on the vehicle itself and whether I've closed my vehicle's fuel tap on at a parking slot in/at a railway station.😕😳
I've also a problem of hoarding newspapers to some extent.😕😳
-Tanveer 😊

-x-Riddles-x- thumbnail
No no... i do type with both ma hands...
but my right one is more dominant... and then Ill feel like im being unfair to my left hand... and (this is so embarassing)and literally feel sorry for it.

Or like if I bend my little toe on my left foot, ill feel mean not to do it on the other one...

Just other random stuff like that... but it does make me feel special, when I tell people that I am "Obsessive Compuslive".
It has like a cool ring to it, wudnt u say so? x]
tanveer.indian thumbnail

No no... I do type with both ma hands...
but my right one is more dominant... and then I'll feel like I'm being unfair to my left hand... and (this is so embarassing) and literally feel sorry for it.

Or like if I bend my little toe on my left foot, I'll feel mean not to do it on the other one...

Just other random stuff like that... but it does make me feel special, when I tell people that I am "Obsessive Compuslive".
It has like a cool ring to it, wudnt u say so? x]

Oh! so you type with both your hands.
Perhaps it has.😕
-Tanveer 😊

-x-Riddles-x- thumbnail
Lol...
Yup. I am the just local weirdo.

P.S I was gonna right JUST THE local weirdo, but this way the letters increase each word. 1,2,3,4,5,6

A bit obsessive, Sorry 😆
tanveer.indian thumbnail

Lol...
Yup. I am the just local weirdo.

P.S I was gonna right JUST THE local weirdo, but this way the letters increase each word. 1,2,3,4,5,6

A bit obsessive, Sorry 😆

I'm totally confused.😕😳😆
-Tanveer 😊

-x-Riddles-x- thumbnail
*sigh* alright:

Count the following letters in each word:

I am the just local weirdo.
1 2 3   4     5 &nb sp;   6

Seeee... the real sentence shud be I am just the local weirdo, but that way, the number of letters are in order =]
tanveer.indian thumbnail

I almost got it but I couldn't/didn't understand the significance / importance of &nb sp; 😕😳
-Tanveer

Edited by abide - 16 years ago
-x-Riddles-x- thumbnail
Alright, lets ditch that bit then xP 😳