Film Previews & Reviews

Post your personal review on Saawariya

Fashionholic thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hey Guys,

I know alot of you from the forum will be watching Saawariya and will want to post your reviews, comments and opinions on the film.

So instead of starting individual threads, just post YOUR PERSONAL review on the film, for people to read.

(Moderators: Can we make this a fixed/sticky post?)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

darkness_123 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Yes, so this will probably get me beaten up, considering all the Ranbir/Sonam/Saawariya/SLB fans. But it's a free forum, and if you don't want to read negative reviews, move on NOW. This is not for you.

Those of you have me on MSN, will find a one line review in my personal message. Those of you who dont, here it is: The one sided love story of two bipolar disorder sufferers and a prostitute with zero sense of English.

And that's the story in a nutshell. The protagnists, especially the girl begins laughing every now and then, only to have us find her sobbing after 3 seconds. FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Or she starts out crying and then begins laughing. Again, NO APPARENT REASON. So the reason I came up with is she has bipolar disorder, which is characterised by such violent mood swings. Either that, or it was, as a guy sitting next to me said, "It must be that time of the month for her."

(Kinda disturbed me that the guy had knowledge of such details of chicks. Anyway, we'll move on.)

From the promos, I thought Sonam Kapoor would be the one to watch, as Ranbir Kapoor looks HIGHLY IRRITATING and like he suffers from some sort of mental retardation/excessive drug use (esp. Ecstacy). But no. Ranbir was quite easy on the eyes, and easier to bear. Much much more. The promos need to be revamped to include his non-retarded scenes.

Rani Mukherjee. *sigh* She was ok. The crazy attempt at English and the "Chabeela" song got on my nerves though.

*spoiler alert - highlight to read*
What was with the MILLLIONS of prostitutes in that town? Ok, THERE AREN'T EVEN THAT MANY MEN IN THE TOWN TO AVAIL OF THEIR SERVICES. TOO MUCH SUPPLY WITH NO DEMAND WHATSOEVER. GEEZ.

And that song in the starting, that Ranbir Kapoor sings to them? WHAT WAS WITH THAT? WHY WAS IT EVEN THERE?????

Which brings me to the songs. Too many of them. Most of them unwanted. The only songs that were really needed are the title track, "Jab se tere naina" and "Yoon Shabnami".... All the others just looked out of place, since this wasn't a big masala thriller. Movies like these don't require songs at the drop of the hat.

Salman Khan is haunting in the 3 scenes he appears in. His eyes are freakishly peircing (in a nice way)... He was the only reason I didn't kill myself in the theatre (besides, I didn't wanna create much of a mess for the cleaning staff, with all the blood and everything.)

What irritated me the most, were the sets. Why was everything so frickin dark and gloomy and blue?!!?!? It's pretty and everything, but everything looks so fake and stage-y!!!! It really did not look realistic. I kept expecting someone to applaud in the end of it, thinking it was a play or something these people were putting on. It was just too depressing. They've covered the whole of the set in the promos. It's just depressing how everything is so dark and shadow-y. Now I'm not a particularly happy person. Ask my friends. I'm the girl with a perpetual rain cloud over my head. Now how depressing do they have to be to depress me!?!?!? Pretty much.

I wouldn't reccomend this movie to people. I really wouldn't. There was NOTHING TO WATCH! THEY EVEN CUT OUT THE BUTT SCENE. AT LEAST I COULD MOCK THAT!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of those movies that I would watch on YOUTUBE, if I had finished all my homework, had nothing to eat, had all my friends die, my tv had broken, and it was the end of all time and I wanted to shrivel up and die. I'm someone who can appreciate a deep movie every now and then. I truly do. But this wasn't deep. It was some sorta misguided attempt at a haunting deep movie. And now, thanks to this, I won't be watching any Bolly movies other than true masala potboilers for a long time to come. I realised that I just don't get these artsy fartsy movies. And I shouldn't pay money for this sort of nonsense, when I can get bummed out for free by reading the newspaper/getting lectured by my parents. I can't wait for Om Shanti Om to lift me out of the depression this movie has put me into. Thank God for Dard-e-disco. Amen.

Edited by darkness_123 - 16 years ago
anishma24 thumbnail
thanks guys for the reviews
Edited by anishma24 - 16 years ago
sneha_2100 thumbnail
Hey Guys,

I went to watch Saawariya yesterday in the cinema with my mom and I enjoyed it so much that when the film ended I did not even feel like getting out of my seat.

There were a few scenes in the film which really touched my heart and tears just kept falling like water from my eyes.

Ranbir's performance was fantastic. You can tell that it was straightly from his heart. I really felt like wiping his tears away whenever he cried in the film.

There were six scenes from the film which will stay with me forever.

Scene 1: When Raj burns the letter. His eyes were saying soo much and it was such a shocking scene in the film.

Scene 2: Sakina tells Raj in the bridge that he will really miss her and what will he do when she is gone. This scene brought lots of tears in my eyes. This is a must watch scene.

Scene 3: Raj tells Gulabji to think of him as her customer. This scene shows how brilliant of an actress Rani is.

Scene 4: Raj gets into a very horrible fight with two guys beating him up mercilessly.

Scene 5: Raj confesses his love to Sakina and she says she hates him.

Scene 6: The climax of the film.

Sonam's performance was great as well but this movie entirely belonged to Ranbir.

The music was definitely a treat to my ears. Jab Se Tere Naina was one song I cant forget coz Ranbir was totally nude. I could literally see his butt. They did not censor it in Australia. Thode Badmaash was beautiful and I felt so bad for Raj in the song. The title was really cool. But the best song in the film is definitely Youn Shabnami.

Ranbir is a damn good dancer.

Anyways guys, im not gonna reveal so much coz im sure there are some who have not yet seen the film. Dont miss it guys.

ITS A MUST WATCH
lucky_lakshmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: darkness_123

And that's the story in a nutshell. The protagnists, especially the girl begins laughing every now and then, only to have us find her sobbing after 3 seconds. FOR NO APPARENT REASON. Or she starts out crying and then begins laughing. Again, NO APPARENT REASON. So the reason I came up with is she has bipolar disorder, which is characterised by such violent mood swings. Either that, or it was, as a guy sitting next to me said, "It must be that time of the month for her."

I dunno abt the movie I havent seen it..Maybe the point did not come out clearly as it shud have...But if u have read White Nights, u wont say that..Lemme tell ya' The story is so..The Girl Crying FOR NO APPARANT REASON, Then laughing FOR NO APPARANT REASON, The Boy trembling FOR NO APPARANT REASON, them talking FOR NO APPARANT REASON(n to a stranger?!)...It all is left to U to understand..Thats the beauty of the tale..

I have said it time n again and repeat - One shudnt be so arrogant as to touch Dostoevsky..(sry Sanjay I dun call u arrogant I have seen the movie I can believe only myself...😆) "Tried me didnt u? Wont do it again right?😆"---Hope thats not what Dostoevsky wud have said if he was alive!

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 16 years ago
darkness_123 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: lucky_lakshmi

Lemme tell ya' The story is so..The Girl Crying FOR NO APPARANT REASON, Then laughing FOR NO APPARANT REASON, The Boy trembling FOR NO APPARANT REASON, them talking FOR NO APPARANT REASON(n to a stranger?!)...It all is left to U to understand..Thats the beauty of the tale..

See that's the thing... When you're reading, it's a different thing.... When you're watching it enacted out, it's a whole different ball game. When you're watching it on a screen, it really has to show a little more obviously than in a book. But somehow SLB didn't get that.

All I could interpret was that maybe the feeling of being in love was so bloody over- the-frickin-whelming, it sends you over the edge and make you act mental. And then I prayed to the good Lord above to never make me fall in love, if this is what happens to you in it. 😕
springs thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
@Nimmi: That was an eye opening review! I am not going to watch this movie now - thanks for that! Looking forward to your OSO review 😉

A friend of mine pretty much said the same things you said about the movie...her husband apparently dropped off to sleep in between Edited by springs - 16 years ago
CherryPrincess thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i was dying to watch this movie. i read such similarily negative reviews on rediff, but didn't want to believe it. now reading such public opinions too, i guess i will watch it on my laptop only 😕
sarah1024 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Thanks for the reviews! 😊

I was initially planning to watch Saawariya, but after reading so many negative reviews on various websites and messageboards, I suppose I'll just catch it on DVD (or better yet, online).

Edited by sarah1024 - 16 years ago
hydrogurl001 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
well im going to go see sawariyaa today on the openeing day at night...it was either this or om shanti om..and frankly..i dont really like om shanti om's storyline from what i heard...so i guess ill watch this..some people may not like it..ill post my reviews on the movie when i come back watching it 😛