Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Farah Khan (Page 4)

Pradarshak Goldie
Pradarshak
Pradarshak

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 12:06pm | IP Logged
Don't agree that MHN was a success only because of SRK factor. There was Farah's wit, the way she used colours of all emotions - love, hate, sad, happy and not to forget the Susmita's character. This was the second hit for Susmita after Biwi No.1. Farah made her look so sexy and sultry even in a sari(only after Sridevi in Chandni(A lot of credit goes to Yashji to make her look so stunning)I thought some one looked so good in a sari). Amrita Rao also got a lift in her career. How can all the credit go to SRK alone? An actor works as the director wants him to, if that works well the movie works too.I have heard in her interviews that MHN was her baby, which to conceived and worked on for a long time before taking it to the floor.

Someone mentioned here that she actually wanted to be a director(I did not know) but ended up being a choreographer. She is a success as a choreographer. This itself says she had it all the time, now she has got the right opportunity.

May be it's too early so say about someone as a director who has only one hit movie in her kitty. The success/failure of OSO will say a lot.

Edited by Pradarshak - 06 November 2007 at 12:08pm
Pradarshak Goldie
Pradarshak
Pradarshak

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged
Tanuja Chandra had the Bhatt clan behind her, but she could not do much ahead.
SholaJoBhadkey IF-Dazzler
SholaJoBhadkey
SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Maya_M

Originally posted by souro

she's daring to release a movie on the same date as SLB's then also it's  because of SRK. I don't think anyone went to see MHN or for that matter will go to see OSO because it's directed by Farah Khan.

Exactly. Just because of SRK the movie is so hyped otherwise she would have ended up like Kalpana Lajmi, Tanuja Chandra, Revathi who are very talented without any biggie backing in Bollywood.

Tanuja's Dushman starred Sanjay Dutt and Kajol, and the second one starred Akshay (one of the most bankable stars of Bollywood) and Preity.

Revathy's first Hindi venture starred Salman Khan and Abhishek Bachchan.

I would not mention Kalpana Lajmi in the same breath because her films are not mainstream Bollywood movies. (I would add Meghna Gulzar to your list, too!)

The whole point is that Farah as a woman director dared to venture into an out and out masala film (which hasn't been attempted by other female directors), and made a good job of it. I am not claiming that she is the best female director, and so I am proud of her achievement as a woman. She has succeeded as a woman in what has always been considered a male dominion and that's what I applaud.

...M... IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
SholaJoBhadkey IF-Dazzler
SholaJoBhadkey
SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

The whole point is that Farah as a woman director dared to venture into an out and out masala film (which hasn't been attempted by other female directors), and made a good job of it. I am not claiming that she is the best female director, and so I am proud of her achievement as a woman. She has succeeded as a woman in what has always been considered a male dominion and that's what I applaud.

I would just consider her in the same lines as KJo. Nothing to be proud of her as a woman director.

KJo had the backing of his dad's production house AND the Yashraj banner, both with a long and illustrious history in Bollywood. He never had to struggle. There is no comparison except the common factor - Shahrukh!  He was always in familiar territory Tongue 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one LOL

...M... IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

I agree with Maya on this one. I'm not saying that the lady has not talent, no doubt she's a good choreographer, and even PR building requires huge skills. But matter of fact is her MHN was such a success because of SRK and similarly if she's daring to release a movie on the same date as SLB's then also it's  because of SRK. I don't think anyone went to see MHN or for that matter will go to see OSO because it's directed by Farah Khan.

Thats true for many directors today.. if Mani ratnam had releases a movie on that day it will flop too since we know his genre... SRK has a clout but there are many of his films which have flopped including ventures like swadesh, and paheli.. so he no amitabh either.... so this argument is not so strong to say Farah's movie succeed because of SRK.. they succeed because they are good and accpeted...Smile

There is no 'they', it's only 'it'. 'It' (MHN) was just a formulaic masala movie, which at any given time has equal chance of succeeding or flopping. MHN succeeded because of the SRK factor, not because of any directorial genius.

Sure and what happened to Swadesh where we had SRK with directorial genius.....and paheli.. where again a winning combinatiosn.. So there are exceptions galore... SRK doesnt make movies hit Smile

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 06 November 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Thats true for many directors today.. if Mani ratnam had releases a movie on that day it will flop too since we know his genre... SRK has a clout but there are many of his films which have flopped including ventures like swadesh, and paheli.. so he no amitabh either.... so this argument is not so strong to say Farah's movie succeed because of SRK.. they succeed because they are good and accpeted...Smile

My argument is also same. It is true for all directors. I was objecting to being proud of Farah because she is a female. No....no doubt about her gender thereLOL. No one would go to watch Saroj Khan movie first day first show. People went to watch MHN because of SRK and marketing. The marketing SRK did for the movie was great. So I won't consider Farah Khan among the best woman directors just like I won't put KJo among the best directors of India.

Sure the marketing done for Main prem ki diwani... was as good with geniuses all around.. still it flopped and Farah got it right so obviously she is a genius to an extent.....Smile

Farah is not a RGV or MR.. but she sure is good......If MMD made a history of masala... she can do it and deserves all accolades for it.. EVen with a strong cast AAA belongs to ManmohanDesai and not any of hte "big" actors"

Edited by qwertyesque - 06 November 2007 at 1:17pm

Go to top