Punjabi Channel

Pun Culture Going to Die in 50-100 years?

Jazzzy thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

One of my punjabi teachers told my class a few years ago that at this rate Punjabi Culture is going to die in 50-100 years.

She mentioned how

- kids these days living in western countries barely learn to speak their language and feel embarassed to speak in it

and

- in punjab, the majority of road signs and such are written in hindi, and how people in punjab themselves are embarrased to teach their kids punjabi as they think it is a "village language" and people prefer to teach their kids english and hindi

My teacher mentioned how in a few decades the Punjabi language would mix in with Hindi and itself would die and be extinct.

Plz Comment 😃

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.:Ashi:. thumbnail
noooooo...that's horrible 😭

hmm i dont feel embarrased to speak punjabi at home 😊 ...and neither do any of my friends.

but yeah i can kinda understand what your teacher is saying b/c i do know quite a few that feel embarrased. 😕
~*manai*~ thumbnail
omg that is so bad
i hope that does not happen
some people that live in the west forget punjabi or is too asshamed of it which is totally wrong
also in india eveything is in hindi and instead of teaching your kids punjabi they teach them hindi punjabi's that only know hindi i think that looks bad
|Persephone| thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I dun think that's true....and the signs can be explained - because tonz of pple frm other states r cuming into punjab n they dunno punjabi....and i've never met a single western punjabi who is embarassed to speak punjabi...and i've met tonz...lolz...
_sukhi_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Yea i agree with some of it... the western side are parts where people dont even know their parents dont know so how will the kids learn... i dont think it will happen... after all the hindu religion been going on for ages.... na an that never came to an end... an our faith is.. what 400 somewhat years old.... its too early still.... im sure if everyone has the aag inside them.... it will never die.... our gurus didnt just give their lives away for it to end so quickly....need to start learning what the whole faith is about... only then kids can know why do we do this n that... and parents should take atleast 5 or 10 mins out of their week just to explain.... things take them to the gurdwaa if they cant explain.... just people have become soo antiiii i think... an just dont bother with it... i mean ok its their life an all... but thats how the faith will end like for example... some people might go to the gurdwara on sundays there aint that much people... but when its vaisakhi time the same gurdwara is filled with people why turn up to just that.... coz its special.. is it gonna make a difference turning up to that... nehi na... thats crap i think..... people just care about what ever they doing.... an when people even come to gurdwara what do they do pray for a new car new house etc... i mean if people really believed in something then it will happen on its own... i believe... lol i can goo on n on.... ill edit with more stuff

hope i havent hurt anyone if i have im sorry 😳
Jazzzy thumbnail

Originally posted by: .:Ashi:.

noooooo...that's horrible 😭

hmm i dont feel embarrased to speak punjabi at home 😊 ...and neither do any of my friends.

but yeah i can kinda understand what your teacher is saying b/c i do know quite a few that feel embarrased. 😕

i dont feel embarassed either to speak it but i do know punjabi people who barely know how to speak punjabi and they think whoever speaks punjabi is a 'dipper' 😕

Edited by Jazzzy - 16 years ago
Jazzzy thumbnail

Originally posted by: ~*manai*~

omg that is so bad
i hope that does not happen
some people that live in the west forget punjabi or is too asshamed of it which is totally wrong
also in india eveything is in hindi and instead of teaching your kids punjabi they teach them hindi punjabi's that only know hindi i think that looks bad

i agree with you...and if you watch those punjabi programs like excuse me please or music buzz on etc punjabi, whenever people in punjab are asked questions most of them reply in hindi rather than punjabi 😕

Jazzzy thumbnail

Originally posted by: *RickStar*

Yea i agree with some of it... the western side are parts where people dont even know their parents dont know so how will the kids learn... i dont think it will happen... after all the hindu religion been going on for ages.... na an that never came to an end... an our faith is.. what 400 somewhat years old.... its too early still.... im sure if everyone has the aag inside them.... it will never die.... our gurus didnt just give their lives away for it to end so quickly....need to start learning what the whole faith is about... only then kids can know why do we do this n that... and parents should take atleast 5 or 10 mins out of their week just to explain.... things take them to the gurdwaa if they cant explain.... just people have become soo antiiii i think... an just dont bother with it... i mean ok its their life an all... but thats how the faith will end like for example... some people might go to the gurdwara on sundays there aint that much people... but when its vaisakhi time the same gurdwara is filled with people why turn up to just that.... coz its special.. is it gonna make a difference turning up to that... nehi na... thats crap i think..... people just care about what ever they doing.... an when people even come to gurdwara what do they do pray for a new car new house etc... i mean if people really believed in something then it will happen on its own... i believe... lol i can goo on n on.... ill edit with more stuff

quite an impressive argument buddy 😆

i hope every punjabi does have that aag to keep our culture alive...ya i agree some parents (though all blame is not on them too) dont bother to teach their kids punjabi...i know of people who said "sade bachia ne ta etha rehnaa aa punjabi di ki jaroorat aa. english auni chahidi aa." and that mindset results in kids not learning punjabi 😕 ðŸ˜•

_sukhi_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Jazzzy

quite an impressive argument buddy 😆

i hope every punjabi does have that aag to keep our culture alive...ya iagree some parents (though all blame is not on them too) dont bother to teach their kids punjabi...i know of people who said "sade bachia ne ta etha rehnaa aa punjabi di ki jaroorat aa. english auni chahidi aa." and that mindset results in kids not learning punjabi 😕😕

thanx... but the thing is... like people say they parents was born in a western place.... my dad was born in africa.. then rasied in england... and he could have easily said that he dont want to learn or what ever...hes got cut hair and all.. and does path n stuff....but also also has a very westernise experice.... but when i talk to him we basically talk in english becuase both of us are raised in england... and we aint embarrassed to speak punjabi... never that could happen in fact i speak it around ma gora friends tooo... an they alwayz asking what does this n that mean... but if people some people being raised in westernise place can do it im sure everyone else can atleast try....i mean it aint even that hard...and down punjab..they should teach pure punjabi... then for extra they should learn english....and them shows u was talking about thats sooo stupid... they should reply in punjabi too... and as that quote... goes "sir jaave taan jaave par saddi sikhi sadak na jaave" and most people think... "sir jaave taan jaave par saddi pagh na hoove... n all this n that.... i mean people say at skool im being bullied... n so on and thats why i cut my hair.... i mean

"The two sahibzadas shouted back in one voice. "we care not for the worldly wealth. We shall not renounce our religion at any cost" The nawab got annoyed at their reply but just kept quiet. Adressing the qazi the nawab said, "Have you observed the insolent behaviour of these boys! Don't regard them as innocent. They are the rebellious sons of a rebel. They will have to be punished." The qazi told the nawab that, according to islamic law, the two boys were not guilty of any crime. They could not be held responisble for their father's actions. The nawab observed, however, "They are rebels too. Haven't you heard their rude statements!". The Qazi answered, "But they have not committed any crime". Nawab Wazir Khan was taken aback at the Qazi's unexpected reply. Nawab Wazir Khan again tried to pursued them and said " You are still young and innocent. It is your age for enjoyment and fun. If you listen to our advice, you will enjoy life to your heart's content in this world and be blessed with a glorious life in Paradise"

They was really young if everyone had the aag like they did.... the faith will never die..... jado jagaara vajda "Jo Bole So Nihaal"....... sab nu us da jawaaaaaab milda...."SAT SRI AKALLLLLLLL"

😛 sorry if i have hurt anyone 😳
~*manai*~ thumbnail

Originally posted by: *RickStar*

well said!!!

tere lliye Balle Balle 😆