Punjabi Channel

Pun Culture Going to Die in 50-100 years?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

Jazzzy

Goldie

Jazzzy

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged

One of my punjabi teachers told my class a few years ago that at this rate Punjabi Culture is going to die in 50-100 years.

She mentioned how

- kids these days living in western countries barely learn to speak their language and feel embarassed to speak in it

and

- in punjab, the majority of road signs and such are written in hindi, and how people in punjab themselves are embarrased to teach their kids punjabi as they think it is a "village language" and people prefer to teach their kids english and hindi

My teacher mentioned how in a few decades the Punjabi language would mix in with Hindi and itself would die and be extinct.

Plz Comment Big smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Pun Culture Going to Die in 50-100 years?" in Punjabi Channel forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.:Ashi:.

IF-Rockerz

.:Ashi:.

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged
noooooo...that's horrible Cry

hmm i dont feel embarrased to speak punjabi at home Smile ...and neither do any of my friends.

but yeah i can kinda understand what your teacher is saying b/c i do know quite a few that feel embarrased. Confused

~*manai*~

IF-Sizzlerz

~*manai*~

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged
omg that is so bad
i hope that does not happen
some people that live in the west forget punjabi or is too asshamed of it which is totally wrong
also in india eveything is in hindi and instead of teaching your kids punjabi they teach them hindi punjabi's that only know hindi i think that looks bad

|Persephone|

IF-Veteran Member

|Persephone|

BollyCurry Director

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged
I dun think that's true....and the signs can be explained - because tonz of pple frm other states r cuming into punjab n they dunno punjabi....and i've never met a single western punjabi who is embarassed to speak punjabi...and i've met tonz...lolz...

_sukhi_

IF-Rockerz

_sukhi_

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged
Yea i agree with some of it... the western side are parts where people dont even know their parents dont know so how will the kids learn... i dont think it will happen... after all the hindu religion been going on for ages.... na an that never came to an end... an our faith is.. what 400 somewhat years old.... its too early still.... im sure if everyone has the aag inside them.... it will never die.... our gurus didnt just give their lives away for it to end so quickly....need to start learning what the whole faith is about... only then kids can know why do we do this n that... and parents should take atleast 5 or 10 mins out of their week just to explain.... things take them to the gurdwaa if they cant explain.... just people have become soo antiiii i think... an just dont bother with it... i mean ok its their life an all... but thats how the faith will end like for example... some people might go to the gurdwara on sundays there aint that much people... but when its vaisakhi time the same gurdwara is filled with people why turn up to just that.... coz its special.. is it gonna make a difference turning up to that... nehi na... thats crap i think..... people just care about what ever they doing.... an when people even come to gurdwara what do they do pray for a new car new house etc... i mean if people really believed in something then it will happen on its own... i believe... lol i can goo on n on.... ill edit with more stuff

hope i havent hurt anyone if i have im sorry Embarrassed

Jazzzy

Goldie

Jazzzy

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by .:Ashi:.

noooooo...that's horrible Cry

hmm i dont feel embarrased to speak punjabi at home Smile ...and neither do any of my friends.

but yeah i can kinda understand what your teacher is saying b/c i do know quite a few that feel embarrased. Confused

i dont feel embarassed either to speak it but i do know punjabi people who barely know how to speak punjabi and they think whoever speaks punjabi is a 'dipper' Confused

Edited by Jazzzy - 04 November 2007 at 9:40pm

Jazzzy

Goldie

Jazzzy

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by ~*manai*~

omg that is so bad
i hope that does not happen
some people that live in the west forget punjabi or is too asshamed of it which is totally wrong
also in india eveything is in hindi and instead of teaching your kids punjabi they teach them hindi punjabi's that only know hindi i think that looks bad

i agree with you...and if you watch those punjabi programs like excuse me please or music buzz on etc punjabi, whenever people in punjab are asked questions most of them reply in hindi rather than punjabi Confused

Jazzzy

Goldie

Jazzzy

Posted: 04 November 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by *RickStar*

Yea i agree with some of it... the western side are parts where people dont even know their parents dont know so how will the kids learn... i dont think it will happen... after all the hindu religion been going on for ages.... na an that never came to an end... an our faith is.. what 400 somewhat years old.... its too early still.... im sure if everyone has the aag inside them.... it will never die.... our gurus didnt just give their lives away for it to end so quickly....need to start learning what the whole faith is about... only then kids can know why do we do this n that... and parents should take atleast 5 or 10 mins out of their week just to explain.... things take them to the gurdwaa if they cant explain.... just people have become soo antiiii i think... an just dont bother with it... i mean ok its their life an all... but thats how the faith will end like for example... some people might go to the gurdwara on sundays there aint that much people... but when its vaisakhi time the same gurdwara is filled with people why turn up to just that.... coz its special.. is it gonna make a difference turning up to that... nehi na... thats crap i think..... people just care about what ever they doing.... an when people even come to gurdwara what do they do pray for a new car new house etc... i mean if people really believed in something then it will happen on its own... i believe... lol i can goo on n on.... ill edit with more stuff

hope i havent hurt anyone if i have im sorry Embarrassed

quite an impressive argument buddy LOL

i hope every punjabi does have that aag to keep our culture alive...ya i agree some parents (though all blame is not on them too) dont bother to teach their kids punjabi...i know of people who said "sade bachia ne ta etha rehnaa aa punjabi di ki jaroorat aa. english auni chahidi aa." and that mindset results in kids not learning punjabi Confused Confused

Post Reply New Post

Go to top