Paranormal

* Diwali Week Starts! *-Pic added Pg2

TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 16 years ago
Hiya friends,

AS we all know Diwali is near and so i thought of sharing some information about Diwali..and then what we are planning to do in SurinameπŸ˜‰

Diwali (Divali, Dewali, Deepavali): The Festival of Lights

Diwali is a five-day festival that typically falls in October or November on the Gregorian calendar. It occurs either in the middle of the lunar month of Ashwayuja, or at the end of that month and the beginning of the lunar month of Kartika, depending on which version of the Hindu calendar is prevalent in a given region. In the latter case, it marks the beginning of a New Year, giving it additional significance.

Diwali is the most eagerly awaited festival in India, as important as Christmas can be in much of the western world, and is celebrated by Indian communities around the world. Diwali celebrations take place in England, Trinidad and Tobago, the Netherlands, Suriname, Canada, Guyana, Mauritius, India, Fiji, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Australia, much of Africa.

The Origins and Traditions of the Five Days of Diwali (Deepavali)

Each of the five days of the Diwali festival has specific customs and traditions:

1. Dhanteras: Dhan means "wealth," and this is an auspicious day for shopping. In some regions, this day is dedicated to Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth. It is also believed that, on this day, the Lord Dhanvantari emerged from the waters of the ocean holding the knowledge of the spiritual medicines of Ayurveda to help mankind fight against sickness, disease and death. On this day, people buy valuables, and parents take children to the market to buy for firecrackers and sweets.

2. Naraka Chaturdasi: Narak means "of a new era of Light and Knowledge." Narak refers to the demon Narkasura, who was killed in a legendary battle between gods and demons by Lord Sri Krishna, thus releasing the world from darkness, fear and oppression, and ushering in the new era. On this auspicious day, people take a ritual bath before sunrise, using traditional herbs and materials, just as Lord Krishna is believed to have done after returning victorious from the battlefield. It is also believed that on this day, Lord Vishnu incarnated on earth as Vamana and sent the demon king Bali down into the nether worlds, freeing the world from his evil rule and releasing the goddess Lakshmi (the goddess of wealth). The day is spent in the company of friends and family.

3. Diwali: the actual day of Diwali is celebrated on the third day of the festival, when the moon completely wanes. The day is dedicated to Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth. It is believed that the Goddess will not visit a home that is not kept clean and properly lit, so people keep their doors and windows open and all the lights and lamps glowing brightly, all night long. After worshipping the goddess at home, people visit nearby temples and the houses of friends and relations to distribute sweets and gifts. The goddess is also worshipped ceremonially in temples, public places, business houses and offices. In the evening, houses and streets are decorated with innumerable lights, lamps and candles. People gather in the streets and front yards to burn firecrackers.

4. Varshapratipada or Padwa or Kartika Shudda Padyami: The beginning of the New Year. Pratipada means "the first." It is the day used to settle old business accounts and open new books.

On this day, Lord Krishna commanded the people of Braj to worship the hillock Govardhanin in order to save themselves from an impending storm. In the northern Indian region of Braj, people continue the tradition of worshipping Govardhan on this auspicious day to appease the forces of Nature and to prevent floods and cyclonic storms. In some temples, priests bathe the principal deities, decorate them with glittering robes and eye-catching jewelry and make offerings of food to Krishna.

5. Bhayiduj: On this day, brothers and sisters gather to express their love and affection for each other. Sisters put a ceremonial mark on their brothers' foreheads and wish them long lives. The tradition began when Yamuna, the sister of Lord Yama honored her brother with a tilak on his forehead and wished him long life.

http://worldculturenet.com/2006/10/28/the-origins-and-tradit ions-of-the-five-days-of-diwali-deepavali/

Happy Diwali in advance!
What are u planning to do on Diwali..πŸ˜‰

In suriname Diwali week starts from Tomorrow.. Sunday 4th november and IT will be celebrated in a big way..as for the first time a Big BIg Dia will be lit by people and the dia  has to stay on till 10th november!!

It will be so exciting.. if possible i will click some pictures and share with you.. i bet no one has ever seen such large Dia!!πŸ˜‰

Have fun,
Gracella

Edited by Gracella - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lotus2007 thumbnail
Thanks for information Gracella!and please share diwali pics with us!πŸ˜†
Happy Diwali!!!!!!!!Tooo all of you!!!!!!!!!!πŸ˜ƒ

Lotus.πŸ˜‰
AashiQ_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Yeah. Diwali is coming.... my parents celebrated Diwali too in Suriname when they were young. From what i've heard it's very cool over there... πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜‰ Well I will celebrate it here in The Netherlands with my family.

Wish everyone a Happy Diwali! πŸ˜ƒ
xmanisha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Happy Divali to all my IF-friends 😳

here, in Holland... we pehle will have a puja.
thn we'll light a dia in each & every room.
and one in our mandir.. which will give light and it will give
us light the whole night, so we'll going to put ghee in it, and are going to watch whn the dia needs ghee in it.

we'll have loooots of yummy food.. 😳
and if Gods will, we'll have Divali every year like this. 😳

Shubh Divali

AashiQ_ thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: #1EijazFan

awwww!
I heard that there is a large percentage of Hindus in Suriname in comparison to others 😊
Hope you all have a great week!
With all dias burning and lighrs switched on all night long to welcome Laxmi Maa when she comes to our houses 😊

Take care everyone and have a great Diwali πŸ‘

Yeaaah there are so many Hindus in Suriname!!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‰ and the Hindustani people are the largest ethnic group out thereπŸ˜³πŸ˜›

TrustYourSelf thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: lotus2007

Thanks for information Gracella!and please share diwali pics with us!πŸ˜†
Happy Diwali!!!!!!!!Tooo all of you!!!!!!!!!!πŸ˜ƒ

Lotus.πŸ˜‰

You're welcome Lotus ji!
Yep i will share the pics for sureπŸ˜‰
Happy Diwal ito you tooπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

LOve,
Gracella

This content was originally posted by: Raj*

Yeah. Diwali is coming.... my parents celebrated Diwali too in Suriname when they were young. From what i've heard it's very cool over there... πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜‰ Well I will celebrate it here in The Netherlands with my family.

Wish everyone a Happy Diwali! πŸ˜ƒ

Hey Raj, how are you!
Oh yeah Diwali is celebarted always in a grand way in Suriname.. but this year even more special..coz of the Grand dia which will be placed at the Onafhankelijkheidsplein and which will stay there for a whole weekπŸ‘πŸ‘

Happy Diwali to you too in Holland.. My family in Holland celebrates Diwali also in a nice wayπŸ˜‰

Thanks for the reply!
Love,
Gracella
TrustYourSelf thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: xmanisha

Happy Divali to all my IF-friends 😳

here, in Holland... we pehle will have a puja.
thn we'll light a dia in each & every room.
and one in our mandir.. which will give light and it will give
us light the whole night, so we'll going to put ghee in it, and are going to watch whn the dia needs ghee in it.

we'll have loooots of yummy food.. 😳
and if Gods will, we'll have Divali every year like this. 😳

Shubh Divali

Hey Manisha! Wow u are from Holland!πŸ˜‰

Well, we also do a puja..me my 2 sisters and mom, complete with havan kund,aarati etcπŸ˜‰ we offer cocunot white laddoos as prasad and cook lotsa sweets like gujjia, gulgula and other stuff like bara etc, roti and other veg things

and then 7 pm the ghar ki lakshmi..whic his my mom. lights up the main dia and from that dia we do the rest and place in every room and also outside t he house etc

we have celebrated diwali always like this...Earlier we celebrated it with my dad also..but since he passed away 5 yrs ago..we do it with the 4 of us onlyπŸ˜•

BUt i love Diwali..more than i Holi teohaarπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

You also have a Shubh Diwali in advance and tfs!

LOve,
Gracella
TrustYourSelf thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Raj*

Yeaaah there are so many Hindus in Suriname!!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‰ and the Hindustani people are the largest ethnic group out thereπŸ˜³πŸ˜›

Hmm agreed.. The Hindus in Suriname make up to the biggest ethnic group in Suriname-- i think 60%πŸ˜‰

Happy Diwali..or as we say in Suriname-- Shubh Diwali!!

Love,
Gracella
AashiQ_ thumbnail
Dank je... I wish you a Shubh Diwali tooo... hope u will a good day(week) with all the aashirwaad from Bhagwan! Have fun (goshh I wanna celebrate Diwali too in Suriname or India).

Rituraj
AashiQ_ thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Gracella

You're welcome Lotus ji!
Yep i will share the pics for sureπŸ˜‰
Happy Diwal ito you tooπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

LOve,
Gracella

Hey Raj, how are you!
Oh yeah Diwali is celebarted always in a grand way in Suriname.. but this year even more special..coz of the Grand dia which will be placed at the Onafhankelijkheidsplein and which will stay there for a whole weekπŸ‘πŸ‘

Happy Diwali to you too in Holland.. My family in Holland celebrates Diwali also in a nice wayπŸ˜‰

Thanks for the reply!
Love,
Gracella

That is so awesome! Have fun!

And yeah here in The Netherlands it's not as fun as in Suriname/India but we are trying to make something of it!

Shubh Diwali, 😊

Jai Mahalaksmi!