Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 03 November 2007 at 5:23am | IP Logged
Hope for deport threat cricketer

Hartley Alleyne has adopted England as his home

A former West Indies cricketer facing deportation despite living in the UK for 29 years is to have his case reviewed by the Home Office.

Fast bowler Hartley Alleyne, 50, played for Barbados, Worcestershire, Kent and Natal from 1978 to 1990 before coaching youngsters in Canterbury, Kent.

He was told he would be deported after gaining a coaching qualification which he thought would get him a work permit.

Mr Alleyne said on Friday that he hoped he could continue doing what he loved.

"This news has brought a smile to my face," he added.
      I will continue to press for a successful outcome for this most deserving man
Julian Brazier, MP for Canterbury

"I only hope that the Home Office officials who will be reviewing my case can find it in their hearts to let me stay here and allow me to continue what I love doing and that is coaching kids," he said.

Mr Alleyne applied for a permit in 2005 when he began working as a sports coach and resident boarding assistant at St Edmund's School, Canterbury.

But his application was turned down because he did not hold an NVQ Level 3 certificate.

He later obtained the qualification in sports coaching to satisfy the Home Office but then learned that his appeal for a work permit had been rejected.

Letter to MP

Mr Alleyne has lived in the UK since 1978 and has an English wife and two young children in Liverpool, as well as a grown-up daughter in London.

Julian Brazier, the Conservative MP for Canterbury, said he received a letter from Home Office minister Liam Byrne announcing a review of the case on Friday.

"I welcome the fact that they are reviewing the case again," Mr Brazier said.

"I will continue to press for a successful outcome for this most deserving man."
E-mail this to a friend

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Hope for deport threat cricketer" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top