Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

nitasuni

nitasuni

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 4:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Swar_Raj

Fasting can get  what we need is our belief. Monday fast or Santishi ma fast, Tuesday, Full moon etc. and then various fast like Janmashtami, Shivratri are celebration fasting.

Today is Karwachauth and soon we Ahoi mata fast for us. My question is

Most of these fast are still due to myth?  have we forgotton the true reason for them? Some one was debating with me saying it is a torture for Indian women or a way  of man showing his importance over women?
Why I called it   a myth as just came across a website stating the significance of this fast, which I had no clue. I only knew it is done for husband.

No how many of knew this?Ofcourse it is not the case today at all.  but Are we really drifting away from our culture by adopting new methods.   Is it ok to follow them in tradition method. Is fasting imposed on us or we continue to see it as a part of our self?

http://www.karwachauth.com/origin-and-significance.html

I don't know any thing about KC other than seeing in films and serials, May be it like our  "Thiruvathira" where, there  is no fasting but no rice meal but you can eat wheat, tubers, gramms fruits etc.Here also ladies in fineries, in groups playing "Thiruvathira " in  typical Malayali Mundum Nariyarthum, for the well being of Pati. 

Edited by nitasuni - 31 October 2007 at 4:04am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Fasting- Myth or true (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

but why is Myth fasting anyways....?????????

LOL LOL

....Tongue......wish that custom of KC were in South India alsoLOLLOLLOL....
Coming back to the topic of debate....
I find no logic..in one fasting and the impact is seen on other...so if the lady fasts..the gentleman's Ayush increasesBig smileTongue.....
May be this lady - gentleman is a system similar to a system..to which newton's 3rdlaw of motion applies...
For every action..there is equal and opposite reaction and these act on two different bodies. So the act of fasting of lady yields the output of long term gaurantee of the gentlemanLOL..........
Howeever..its a personal issue....afterall its an issue of loved one's life......but it makes no sense in celebrating KC (by fasting only on KC) and keeping the husband on fasting everyday.(by not cooking properly everyday)WinkLOLLOL

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

LOL LOL

I find no logic..in one fasting and the impact is seen on other...so if the lady fasts..the gentleman's Ayush increasesBig smileTongue.....
May be this lady - gentleman is a system similar to a system..to which newton's 3rdlaw of motion applies...
For every action..there is equal and opposite reaction and these act on two different bodies. So the act of fasting of lady yields the output of long term gaurantee of the gentlemanLOL..........
Howeever..its a personal issue....afterall its an issue of loved one's life......but it makes no sense in celebrating KC (by fasting only on KC) and keeping the husband on fasting everyday.(by not cooking properly everyday)WinkLOLLOL

LOLLOL Now Myth you are talking like a hubby. You should be on our side LOL

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

I'd like to know something, is this karvachauth thing really done the way it is shown in films, with a whole group of ladies singing and dancing??Smile Bengalis don't celebrate this so I don't have any idea about this festival.Confused

As for fasting, I've read that it has some good effects on our health but only when done in moderation and willingly ofcourse. Sometimes ladies feel pressurised to keep these fasts, just because some other friends or family members are doing it, that's really so unnecessary.Ouch

no singing and dancing, but yes we do make a group..usually decide one person's house and go there all dressed up  with lots of goodies to eat after fast.  LOLLOL

Their should be no pressure for fasting but on individual. We donot celebrate KC in my parents place and was not forced by my in laws. I was curious  and love it now.

TallyHo...very bad breaking hearts of little onesEmbarrassed. I have been doing it for 14 yrs and still make sure of getting new sari/jewellery LOLLOL . Always looking out for shoping, donot need an excuse for it  but if we can use one, then whynot LOL 

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged

LOL LOL  Good one Myth..  Btw if wife fasts and stays in shape, there is somewhat long term gaurantee that husband will be still be around....her.Wink But do you know when husband fasts or doesn't eat at home wife puts on weight.Wink Wives end up eating leftovers because women do not like to throw away the food. Confused I cook but it doesn't mean we are going to eat at home that day with our ever changing schedule and my effort is wasted.Confused

Edited by lighthouse - 31 October 2007 at 3:05pm

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 November 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged

LOL LOL

LOLLOL Now Myth you are talking like a hubby. You should be on our side LOL

LOL

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 November 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lighthouse

LOL LOL  Good one Myth..  Btw if wife fasts and stays in shape, there is somewhat long term gaurantee that husband will be still be around....her.Wink But do you know when husband fasts or doesn't eat at home wife puts on weight.Wink Wives end up eating leftovers because women do not like to throw away the food. Confused

Yes..these things must be factoredLOL

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 02 November 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged

Fasting can get  what we need is our belief. Monday fast or Santishi ma fast, Tuesday, Full moon etc. and then various fast like Janmashtami, Shivratri are celebration fasting.

Today is Karwachauth and soon we Ahoi mata fast for us. My question is

Most of these fast are still due to myth?  have we forgotton the true reason for them? Some one was debating with me saying it is a torture for Indian women or a way  of man showing his importance over women?
Why I called it   a myth as just came across a website stating the significance of this fast, which I had no clue. I only knew it is done for husband.

No how many of knew this?Ofcourse it is not the case today at all.  but Are we really drifting away from our culture by adopting new methods.   Is it ok to follow them in tradition method. Is fasting imposed on us or we continue to see it as a part of our self?

http://www.karwachauth.com/origin-and-significance.html

Its like why do people goto temples / Mosque / Churches /GuruDawaras.... its all on one's believe. If one has stong believe that fasting works and makes them happy then why not?

Yeah and I agree, skipping meals is a health benefit, so go for it but do not hog the next dayBig smile. I like if someone is fasting in home, sabu daney ki khicdi, sabu daney key vadey, different type key attey ki puri / alu ki sanji ...divine and welcome break from dal/roti.LOLLOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top