Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged

Fasting can get  what we need is our belief. Monday fast or Santishi ma fast, Tuesday, Full moon etc. and then various fast like Janmashtami, Shivratri are celebration fasting.

Today is Karwachauth and soon we Ahoi mata fast for us. My question is

Most of these fast are still due to myth?  have we forgotton the true reason for them? Some one was debating with me saying it is a torture for Indian women or a way  of man showing his importance over women?
Why I called it   a myth as just came across a website stating the significance of this fast, which I had no clue. I only knew it is done for husband.

No how many of knew this?Ofcourse it is not the case today at all.  but Are we really drifting away from our culture by adopting new methods.   Is it ok to follow them in tradition method. Is fasting imposed on us or we continue to see it as a part of our self?

http://www.karwachauth.com/origin-and-significance.html

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Fasting- Myth or true" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged

Other then health and dietary benefits, I don't know what fasting proves. To me real meaning of fasting is when one actually gives up their daily food (allowance) to feed a hungry person.

As for KC vrat , doesn't a wife pray for his longevity everyday. Tongue Although I love those KC scenes in the movies.Big smile

Edited by lighthouse - 29 October 2007 at 1:11pm

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged

It has been scientifically proven that fasting makes the mind calm and serene. In yogic terminology this is known as the sattvic element. Because the mind becomes predominantly sattvic and more receptive, the scriptures advise the worship of certain deities during these fasting periods. This is called vrat, a specific type of purifying austerity or tapa. In the 'Tapovanshant Paras' fasting is referred to as param tapa, or supreme austerity.

When the positive aspects of a particular deity are concentrated on, those qualities are ultimately evoked in the individual. The deities are not actually separate beings; they are aspects of the dormant mind waiting to be awakened and utilized in man's consciousness. Worship can arouse these potential faculties so that the low, sensual consciousness can be elevated to super-consciousness.

The systems propounded in the Vedas and Shastras coordinate man's biological rhythms with the cycles of nature. One of nature's most fundamental rhythms can be observed in the phases of the moon. Scientifically it is known that the tides of the ocean rise during full moon and by dark moon they have completely ebbed. These phases must therefore affect the human body, considering it is approximately 70% water. The systems of fasting are based on the different stages of the moon's waxing and waning. The cycles of the moon influence women in particular through the menstrual cycle, so fasting is practised more extensively by women.

and more.....
http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1981/5may81/hindu.shtml

Edited by Believe - 29 October 2007 at 10:31pm

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged
but why is Myth fasting anyways....?????????

LOL LOL

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 8:08am | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

but why is Myth fasting anyways....?????????

LOL LOL

LOL Myth meaning your sorrows are gone or long life of your spouse etc LOL

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lighthouse

Other then health and dietary benefits, I don't know what fasting proves. To me real meaning of fasting is when one actually gives up their daily food (allowance) to feed a hungry person.

As for KC vrat , doesn't a wife pray for his longevity everyday. Tongue Although I love those KC scenes in the movies.Big smile

LOL KC is a great fast. Mainly  because you can chatter in a group , well dressed and too much food at the end. Frankly I enjoy it as I love to dress up and talk(Hot topic this time.....Go Red SoxClap). Alsogives me another reason to shopLOL

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

It has been scientifically proven that fasting makes the mind calm and serene. In yogic terminology this is known as the sattvic element. Because the mind becomes predominantly sattvic and more receptive, the scriptures advise the worship of certain deities during these fasting periods. This is called vrat, a specific type of purifying austerity or tapa. In the 'Tapovanshant Paras' fasting is referred to as param tapa, or supreme austerity.
http://www.yogamag.net/archives/1981/5may81/hindu.shtml

Vinu ji great info but the way  most ladies crib for fasting or eat after the fast is more unhealthy LOLLOL...Disclaimer: it is based only on my observation and not on any actual dataEmbarrassed

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Swar_Raj

KC is a great fast. Mainly  because you can chatter in a group , well dressed and too much food at the end. Frankly I enjoy it as I love to dress up and talk(Hot topic this time.....Go Red SoxClap). Alsogives me another reason to shopLOL

My punjabi friend loves it too... She does it all including fainting in front of her husband for some extra effect.LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top