Should Indians gloat?

Posted: 16 years ago

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/debate-not-indian-but-indians-gl oat-over-their-success/51004-3.html

Some excerpts from the article:

Indians celebrated when Bobby Jindal, the son of Indian immigrants, was on Sunday elected the Governor of the southern American state of Louisiana. Yet another American desi had made India proud, they said.

But should Indians really be taking credit for Jindal's success? His parents moved to the US 40 years ago and he was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?

Check this video

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/50983/success-in-the-west-yet- india-claims-triumph.html

Topic for debate here is

1. Should Indians really care about these achievements of an American with Indian roots?

2. Now as his father has promised to visit his home town with son Bobby, people are gearing up to clear up the gandagi off street because an American cannot stand dirt and polluted environment of a small Indian town. Your opinion on it? BTW Bobby Jindal converted to Catholicism from Hinduism as a teenager.

3. Is it always Chak de moment for us Indians when we hear about any acheiver with Indian roots?

Edited by Maya_M - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I couldnt relate to the hype over Kalpana Chawla and later Sunita William...this scenario is even further away from that!
I think India has a lack of heroes/ Idols in the present times...our political leaders are most uninspiring...we dont do well in sports...its hard for common people to relate to academia and corporate achievers(say an Amartya Sen or a Narayan Murti)

So that leaves us with an occasional win in a cricket match or Aishwarya Rai winning Miss World or signing Pink Panther at the only reasons to gloat!

Also we Indians are clannish/ regional so a half Gujrati who is not even an Indian citizen is looked upto more by the people of Gujrat rather than a Tamil Indian who achieved something equally big!

But looking at the other side...I think these "my forefathers were Indian" variety of celeberities have a lot to gain by associating with and acknowldeging of   their Indian root...afterall who wants to miss a chance of being hero worshipped by a billion people!!!
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Ya i agree with Tally....He just have Indian Root but Indians should be proud of his achievement 👏 I read somewere he is converted in to cristanity when he was 15,just imagine how much "christian" he had to be to overcome his 'indianness' to get the votes,I think its gr8 become a Governor coz Louisiana is one of racist state in America. 😳
Antlers thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
when i heard the news i was wooed by it.
1. Should Indians really care about these achievements of an American with Indian roots?

No. I mean do the person really cares for india. i mean they have won or achieved in outside of india. if it was a indian from india than sure.however, the fact is that most of these people convert them self into some sort of other religion like bobby or marry someone outside indian race. i celebreated sunita cause she actually cared to be part of the indian race. where bobby is concerned he's just one of those typical ABD's.

2. Now as his father has promised to visit his home town with son Bobby, people are gearing up to clear up the gandagi off street because an American cannot stand dirt and polluted environment of a small Indian town. Your opinion on it? BTW Bobby Jindal converted to Catholicism from Hinduism as a teenager.

BS. that's is totally dumbness. why should you clear it up for just bobby. you should friggin clear the gandagi all around india. not just one street. OK THIS JUST MADE ME MAD 🤢 🤢

3. Is it always Chak de moment for us Indians when we hear about any acheiver with Indian roots?

Not for me. try and ask a ABD whose more focused on achieveing the "American Dream" than their personal indian dream.I pity the indian who celebreat it. Is this really going to be written in the indian history? nope. will it be in Louisiana. YES.

maya include this question

4. Does India benefit from him winning the title?

India does not gain anything. It's media who gains it.
lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

1. Should Indians really care about these achievements of an American with Indian roots?  Absolutely..!!! Almost every Indian now knows who the governor of Louisiana is and who is the youngest governor ever in the USA .😉  For younger generation of Indian Americans who are often seeking to reconcile two cultures they live in , every time someone of Indian heritage achieves success in main stream business or politics, it proves as a role model. I saw some Indian-American teenagers who are not usually bothered about anything Indian or Indians in news, actually paid attention to CNN news when Bobby Jindal was declared governor elect. 😊  Indians are mostly stereotyped as IT workers, doctors/scientists, cab drivers or grocery owners and Kalpana Chawla, S Williams , Bobby Jindal, Sanjay Gupta (CNN) or Sanjaya (american idol contestant) for that matter prove blending of both cultures in multi ethnic and multi cultural America and be comfortable in their Indian/brown skin with American mindset.

2. Now as his father has promised to visit his home town with son Bobby, people are gearing up to clear up the gandagi off street because an American cannot stand dirt and polluted environment of a small Indian town. Your opinion on it? BTW Bobby Jindal converted to Catholicism from Hinduism as a teenager.  Whatever it takes to clean up gandagi in India, is good for India. 😛 Why are people picky?

3. Is it always Chak de moment for us Indians when we hear about any acheiver with Indian roots?  Why not? It puts Indians on world map and inspires younger generation. Every ethnic community/race should feel that way when one of their own excels. I recently heard that Hillary Clinton has more African/american supporters then Obama who is African/American. 😕

Thanks everyone for your views. So most have mixed opinion on this.

Lighty, Again here we are talking about Americans with Indian roots being proud of his achievements.

My question is about Indians back home who make it a huge deal and treat these NRIs as VIPs. But they aren't doing anything for India. He won this because he is an American. He is living the American dream.

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/debate-not-indian-but-indians-gl oat-over-their-success/51004-3.html

Some excerpts from the article:

Indians celebrated when Bobby Jindal, the son of Indian immigrants, was on Sunday elected the Governor of the southern American state of Louisiana. Yet another American desi had made India proud, they said.

But should Indians really be taking credit for Jindal's success? His parents moved to the US 40 years ago and he was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?

Check this video

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/50983/success-in-the-west-yet- india-claims-triumph.html

Topic for debate here is

When we celebrate the birth ,death anniversery of people in past.or the incidencts which happened in past...related to INDIA....whom/which we may not relate now...there is nothing wrong in celebrating the success of Bobby ji..ndal  whose parents...of this era...and who grew in INDIA....
Who will miss the oppurtunity of taking the side of SUCCESS..SUCCESSFUL people are always relatives or friends...
wonder if any nation or community takes the side of any failure/terrorist .....
However...I find less reason for INDIA to celebrate on BOBBY's victory...

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I'm from a blue town and blue state. Indian or not, I do not care much for Bobby Jindal for his red association. In fact I get a bout of depression whenever I come across the unfortunate fact that another person of foreign ethnicity has been entrapped to enslave for the red team.

Thanks everyone for your views. So most have mixed opinion on this.

Lighty, Again here we are talking about Americans with Indian roots being proud of his achievements.

My question is about Indians back home who make it a huge deal and treat these NRIs as VIPs. But they aren't doing anything for India. He won this because he is an American. He is living the American dream.

but if u r a non american u would never win. and unlesss u have lived there for so many generations how will u win their faith to win the elections?

sareg thumbnail
Currently Bobby Jindal is one of the most conservative republicans in America and most Indians are democrats by politics.

If Indians are gloating about Bobby Jindal they should first get to know what he stands for, not just support him for the tone of his skin 😉