Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

sai14

IF-Dazzler

sai14

Posted: 23 August 2005 at 8:04pm | IP Logged
What do we get by watching these shows? A moment or two to forget about our everyday life stress and problems. We are humans and we all have stresses in life. Sometimes u just wish u lived in a fantasy world where you can't have some of the painful things in life. We sometimes wish we would be in the moon. We sometimes wish we are movie stars. But in reality these can't happen. So we have to find someother way to relieve our stress and forget about our everyday problems.

And this is where movies, tv, entertainment come in. Yes granted, tv serial do not depict reality. Movies do not depict reality. But our life is a reality. Do u really want to see our tv serials and movies becoming reality too just like our lives? Then where would you go to to destress? What would you do after a long day of work and you want to forget about that mean boss? Or you just studied for a hard chem exam and you want to relax for a while?

TV serials give entertainment and a way for us to forget about our relatively hard lives. A person has a right to get their own kind of entertainment. Some people watch news, some people play sports. Just like that some people love to watch tv serials for that sole purpose- to get entertainemnt, and to get away from reality for a while!

Why should something you do for fun serve a purpose? Does watching movies serve a purpose? No- it does not do any greater good to the world other than making the actors and directors rich, but it gives us entertainment. We work for a purpose-to cure people, to make people's lives better. We live for a purpose-for our parents, husband ,children. Life is for a purpose. And in life no matter what kind of an individual you are you need to get away from reality sometimes- and this where the kind of entertainment we pick comes in place and for some people it's TV shows and there is absoultely nothing wrong w/ it.

Watching TV shows for entertainment purposes does not make a person stupid or less intellgible. It helps them live life in a better way! Smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Boring Indian Soaps (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ndtvideas

ndtvideas

Posted: 24 August 2005 at 1:29am | IP Logged
I did not say watching soaps makes a person stupid or less intellgible . What I meant was , the people who are behind the show(prod,actors,...) have this opinion about their viewers & hence present any foolish story to their viewers . Also , I have seen shoots of many of these soaps , as it happens in my college in Mumbai on a regular basis . And , I can say without any doubt that the attitude of these people , be it the prod , actors ,.. is very bad . They behave as if they are doing something very great . They might be just small screen actors , but their attitude is no less than that of a top Bollywood star !
They are totally different from what they are being projected on-screen.
I know some people would argue that this does not matter ,as long as they do their job , but my point is they are actually hurting the sentiments of their viewers by their attitude.
I bet if anyone sees their behaviour in real life ,he/she will immediately stop watching them in their so called favorite soaps .

Minnie

IF-Veteran Member

Minnie

Posted: 24 August 2005 at 8:12pm | IP Logged
ndtvideas,everyone has a different idea of recreation. Some play, some read, some gossip, some simply stand by their window and keep a watch on everyone in their neighbourhood.......

None of them might serve a purpose. Other than what it is - recreation.

Coming to who these serials benefit - well, to begin with, each episode of an useless serial gives bread to perhaps a 1000 people at a time - people who might have been unemployed had it not been for this. Right from the clap boy to the sound recordist to the lightman and his numerous assistants, the makeup artists ( more the characters, more the number employed),costumedesigners,scriptwriters,set designers,production assistants, editors, publicists.....the list is perhaps endless. I have not even started on the numerous actors and actresses with the directors.

Once a serial is popular, advertisers come in. Each advertisement includes as many people and in fact many a times the ads are tailor made to suit the popular serial.....and that again is a source of livlihood ....

In turn we have newspapers and magazines making money and creating jobs for people....all these are intricately interconnected. Today, thanks to Ekta Kapoor and her silly serials, thousands are earning their livlihood and are able to give their kids a better future....

So if you really want to go deep, entertainment industry, at all levels, serves a huge economic purpose.
The rest, is a bonus.

ndtvideas

ndtvideas

Posted: 27 August 2005 at 4:31am | IP Logged
But , how do you justify the fact that these serials benefit 1000 people , at the cost of brainwashing 1 lac people !

ndtvideas

ndtvideas

Posted: 29 August 2005 at 2:00am | IP Logged
I have not got any response on the point regarding the attitude of our so-called small screen stars !

achal

IF-Dazzler

achal

Posted: 29 August 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged

About the characters' attitude, how can u judge them just by looking at them.. They might be too stressed out from their work, so they might be like that.. They do work a LOT, u kno, just to provide us with entertainment..

And, how can u say they're not doig something great for us?? They're working very hard (some of them away from their family) and lots of hours just so that we can be happy. They get money too, but they could do something else that might be easy than acting and get as much moneyy..

And, u want these Indian soaps to end, right? But, what will all these actors, prdoucers, directors do after they lose their jobs, huh? From where will Indian government provide all these people will jobs? Have you ever thought about that?

So, would you plz plz stop convincing us to stop watching these soaps.. Please!!! Look, you're right in your place and we're right in our place.. So please stop convincing us!!!

Edited by achal - 29 August 2005 at 5:34pm

usachick821

Goldie

usachick821

Posted: 30 August 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged

here's my response to the "attitude of actors"

actors should have an attitude, would u want to see a shy, tenative actress on TV? or rather some one who is confident in their abilities, who can perform at a top notch level? Why does sharukh khan have a top bollywood attitude? because he believes he has acheived it and can in the future. Same goes for the small screen actors, they have the confidence that they will make it big, and no one can blame them either. Do i see u going up there to act with atleast one ounce of confidence that mona singh has?

Now onto banning indian soaps. Reading, writing, playings sports do not get us ANYWHERE. Have u ever seen a fifteen year old read her "history texbook" just for fun?! people read, play and write what they enjoy the most, and television happens to be the same form of enjoyment. You do not become any smarter by reading, or playing sports than you do watching TV (and trust me, no one is going to want to read or write something educational when their just trying to find a way to relax). Some people chose different ways of relaxing, and TV (earlier mentioned by u in another post as the "idiot box") happens to be a great way of just relaxing, and forgetting all your troubles and enjoy seeing others in trouble.

Plus, serials have a way of bringing ppl together, such as on india-forums, and not only on india forums but also your family.  During my hectic scedule of school, sports and homework, i never get time to sit down with my family and have a genuine conversation, whether its about something important, or rubbish; and watching serials gives us that advantage, where we can sit down together and discuss the lives of serial stars, and what will happen next in kkusum or jjkn and have a jolly good time.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, infact i do support some of your views (such as watching excess TV when even before you realise it, TV becomes your life.)
But when it comes down to watching TV soaps, "live and let live". You go ahead and do whatever you want rather than watch TV, BUT that doesnt mean you have the right to preach us in what YOU believe is right and wrong.

We are TV goers, but not fanatics!! We enjoy our 30min-1hour of kkusum, jassi, KSBKBT dillemas! so leave us be please!

Edited by usachick821 - 01 September 2005 at 3:19pm

frosty

Goldie

frosty

Posted: 31 August 2005 at 8:03pm | IP Logged
As far as having an attitude goes how does that matter honestly. They are
successful and they have worked for their success. Today Tulsi is as
popular as some of the Bollywood actresses. Why do you expect the
actors to be accessible? ndtvideas can you honestly say that if you were
mobbed 24/7 you would be friendly to everyone who came and spoke to
you. The actors are also doing their job, you cannot expect them to be
pally and friendly all the time. They need their privacy too. As far as
watching the serials are concerned how do you know that all of us who
watch serials do not read books or play sports or have intellegent
discussions with friends and family. I for one do all of these and I am sure
many members do the same. The serials are just part of our
entertainment - our lives do not revolve around them. and as minnie and
usachick have stated these soaps do a lot of good too. They provide work
to those actors who bollywood may not have accepted.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top