Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 16 October 2007 at 11:48pm | IP Logged

Booker Prize: Your reaction

Irish author Anne Enright has won this year's Booker Prize for her book, The Gathering. Is this book a worthy winner?

Ms. Enright has collected a cheque for 50,000 as winner of one of the most coveted literary prizes of the year. The prize is awarded for what is judged to be the best work of contemporary fiction published by an author from the Commonweath or Ireland.

Howard Davies, who chaired the judging panel, said: "Anne Enright has written a powerful, uncomfortable and, at times, angry book. The Gathering is an unflinching look at a grieving family in tough and striking language."

The five other books on the shortlist were On Chesil Beach by Scottish author Ian McEwan, Mister Pip by New Zealander Lloyd Jones, The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid, Darkmans by Nicola Barker and Animal's People by Indra Sinha.

Have you read The Gathering or any of the other shortlisted books? Which did you like the most? Do literary prizes really recognise the best authors?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

cool_pooja

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Booker Prize 2007 : Are you happy ??" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 12:19am | IP Logged
Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 October 2007, 21:53 GMT 22:53 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Outsider Enright wins Booker race
Author Anne Enright
The judges said Anne Enright's book was "depressing" and "bleak"

Irish author Anne Enright has won this year's Man Booker Prize, one of the most prestigious awards in literature.

The novelist's family saga The Gathering beat bookmakers' favourites Ian McEwan and Lloyd Jones to be named the best novel of the past 12 months.

The other authors on the 50,000 prize's shortlist were Mohsin Hamid, Nicola Barker and Indra Sinha.

Chair of judges Sir Howard Davies said Enright's book was "powerful, uncomfortable and, at times, angry".

"The Gathering is an unflinching look at a grieving family in tough and striking language," he said. "We think she is an impressive novelist, we expect to hear a lot more from her.

"The book is powerful, it pulls you along and it has an absolutely brilliant ending. It has one of the best last sentences of any novel I have ever read."

I was ready for anything - possibly anything except that
Anne Enright

Enright was regarded as one of the outsiders for the award, and said she was surprised to win.

"I am still churning it through," she told BBC Radio 4. "Tomorrow, I'll wake up and go 'whoopee'.

"I was ready for anything - possibly anything except that," she added.

The Gathering is the fourth novel by the 45-year-old former television producer.

BOOKER PRIZE ODDS
Author Ian McEwan
6/4 - Ian McEwan (above), On Chesil Beach
2/1 - Lloyd Jones, Mister Pip
4/1 - Mohsin Hamid, The Reluctant Fundamentalist
7/1 - Nicola Barker, Darkmans
12/1 - Anne Enright, The Gathering
12/1 - Indra Sinha, Animal's People
Source: Ladbrokes
It is about an Irish woman who is prompted by her brother's suicide to revisit three generations of history of her large, dysfunctional family.

Sir Howard said the book was "depressing" and "a little bleak" in places - but Enright said she did not mind those descriptions. "I love them," she said. "They're entirely fair. It's not a cheerful book."

Enright's previous novels include the Whitbread-nominated What Are You Like? in 2000. She has also released Making Babies, her light-hearted diaries of motherhood.

She said she may spend the prize money on a new kitchen. "I had forgotten about the money and now I'm glad I bought that dress yesterday," she remarked.

The Gathering has sold 3,000 copies so far, but Radio 4's arts correspondent Rebecca Jones said a Booker win can transform an author's career in terms of sales.

"But also in terms of profile because Anne Enright's next book - and indeed the three other books she's already written - will now get more attention than they would have done had she not won," she said.

'Poisoned chalice'

Enright had been given odds of 12/1 before the ceremony by bookmakers Ladbrokes.

"Over 90% of all wagers were for Ian McEwan and Lloyd Jones," spokesman Nick Weinberg said. "The favourites' tag continues to be a poisoned chalice."

The bookmakers' favourite has not won since Yann Martel in 2002.

Of the six authors in contention for this year's Booker, only McEwan had even been shortlisted in the past. He won in 1998 with Amsterdam.

The award, which honours the best fiction written in English by an author from the UK, Ireland or the Commonwealth, was handed out at the Guildhall in London on Tuesday.

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 12:20am | IP Logged
i am soo happy for her. congrats to her. SHe deserves it after alll in literature Smile

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 6:49am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Pensacola.S_02

Have you read The Gathering or any of the other shortlisted books?

No i havnt read any of them actually..LOL

Do literary prizes really recognise the best authors?

I really feel not.. Bec writing is an art, a creative art and can never be perfect. Bec dere is no perfect way to create an art. And an art can never be judged.  

madsoul0226

madsoul0226

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 6:49am | IP Logged
a big congrats to her.
and i agree with pooja that books shouldn't be judged.
books are so board and all people have different point of views. so how do they judge and name them the winner.

cool_yv

IF-Dazzler

cool_yv

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 1:17am | IP Logged
I'll try it whenever i'll get time

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 4:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by cool_pooja

Do literary prizes really recognise the best authors?

I really feel not.. Bec writing is an art, a creative art and can never beperfect. Bec dere is no perfect way to create an art. And an art can never be judged.

[/QUOTE]

The question was on the "best" writing out of the shortlisted books, not "perfect" writing.

And art IS judged - by everyone. Don't you make judgments before purchasing a book? Aren't there awards for movies (also art) and paintings?

Yes, literary art can be judged. Quite easily.

Morgoth

IF-Veteran Member

Morgoth

--

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 4:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by madsoul0226

books are so board and all people have different point of views. so how do they judge and name them the winner.

The Booker Prize is awarded on literary merit, which means judges focus on novel use of language, writing devices, themes, complexity and an X-factor.

Though we may not always agree with their choices, they do have a system worked out.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top