Debate Mansion

Indira Gandhi

mittijalebi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

It is going to be 23 years on October 31st since the Iron Lady of India, better known as Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her bodyguards. 

Some describe her as a charming, intelligent and charismatic individual who was much loved and admired by her people. Others may describe her as a corrupt, conniving and insecure person. 

What do you think of Indira? 

Is she capable of being called one of the Great Indians? 

Your thoughts on the state of emergency? 

How did your viewpoint of Indira change  during the Emergency (a lot of you were probably in your diapers then πŸ˜†, but how did your parents viewpoints change during this time)?

Who or what do you think she feared the most?

Was she a good prime minister?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

i read somewhere ki some quoted her as being hitler in the face of cleopatra.
mittijalebi thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: sandya_rao7

i read somewhere ki some quoted her as being hitler in the face of cleopatra.

and do you agree with this quote?

What do you think of Indira?  As you described, Iron lady of India. Quoting her "My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition." She belonged to the first group. After reading her biography I am in awe of her personality.

Is she capable of being called one of the Great Indians? Yes. She is.

Your thoughts on the state of emergency? I think for any democratic country this is a contentious decision.

How did your viewpoint of Indira change  during the Emergency (a lot of you were probably in your diapers then πŸ˜†, but how did your parents viewpoints change during this time)? I was not born then. My view on state of emergency is based on what I have read. I don't have anything to compare Indira. My views on Indira Gandhi in general would be that she was an insightful politician who had the power to handle grave situations and turn the course of action her way.

Who or what do you think she feared the most? At that point, in my opinion, her son Sanjay Gandhi, who was the architect of State Emergency and also fear of Congress losing ground.

Was she a good prime minister? Yes. She was.

This content was originally posted by: mittijalebi

and do you agree with this quote?

not the hitler past to a certain extent.

Guardian Angel thumbnail

It is going to be 23 years on October 31st since the Iron Lady of India, better known as Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her bodyguards. 

Some describe her as a charming, intelligent and charismatic individual who was much loved and admired by her people. Others may describe her as a corrupt, conniving and insecure person. 

I think of her with utmost respect.  Daughter of Late Pandit Nehru who was indeed a great leader and charismatic figure. She certainly was a very powerful figure representing India in UN.

Most definitely.

I donot know enough to comment on this. 

How did your viewpoint of Indira change  during the Emergency (a lot of you were probably in your diapers then πŸ˜†, but how did your parents viewpoints change during this time)?

Cannot answer this

I have heard she was a good PM

jncblr thumbnail

I have a lot of respect for Indira Gandhi. She was truly a woman of substance. Firstly there are very few women leaders who have been as successful as her. So hats off to her for leading the country for so many years in a male dominated society. She has been a very good role model for the woman of India.

Most definetly! She has left her mark and has contributed a lot towards the country.

I wasn't around during the time. From what I heard and read - It might have been a wrong call on her part. But I admire her guts for taking a tough stance. Most politicians these days do not show that grit to take a stance for what they believe in.

She came back to power after that...so obviously the people wanted to give her another chance.

Who or what do you think she feared the most?

My guess is  Failure and maybe the thought that no one would carry forward the family legacy

Yes I believe she was.

huneymonsta thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Zero respect. Does not deserve it.
mittijalebi thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: huneymonsta

why do you say this?

Angelic_J thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: huneymonsta

Same here😊

I do not respect Indira Gandhi in ayn way because of operation Blue Star😑 Everything from the attack on Golden Temple to attack on other 40 Grudwaras on the same day were ALL pre-planned otherwise how would one know to bomb 40 gurdwaras on the SAME DAY????πŸ˜• Indira gandhi's exuse for bombing of the Golden Temple(which btw is the HOLIEST shrine for sikhs) was that there were terrorists hiding in there I really don't understand why attack a temple when you can send your soldiers in to capture the terrorists but whatever let's say it was fine for her to attack the golden temple in order to capture the terrorists but WHAT WAS THE NEED TO BOMB 40 MORE GURDWARAS ON THE SAME DAY??????

Even though i wasn't born in Indira gandhi's time, I still have read numerous books on her by sikh and non-sikh authors and I must say I have a strong disliking for her