IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged
Last Updated: Friday, 12 October 2007, 10:50 GMT 11:50 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Inzamam misses record in farewell
Mark Boucher stumps Inzamam
Inzamam's international career ended in disappointing fashion
Inzamam-ul-Haq's international career ended with him three runs from becoming Pakistan's leading Test run-scorer.

He scored three off his first ball from Jacques Kallis but was stumped off Paul Harris, attempting a big hit to go past Javed Miandad's record of 8,832 runs.

"I wanted to play a memorable knock. I wanted to play aggressively and maybe I could have won the match for Pakistan.

"I've hit a number of balls like that for six but this time the bowler won," the 37-year-old batsman explained.

Inzamam made 25 centuries in 120 Tests - one for a World XI against Australia in 2005 - after making his debut against England in 1992, finishing with an impressive average of 49.60.

He was given a guard of honour by the South Africans when he walked in for his first innings and was clapped off by his team-mates when he went back to the pavilion for the final time as a Pakistan player.

"It's difficult for me to describe how I felt when I walked in, it was full of emotions.

"I'm leaving after spending 16 golden years in international cricket," said the right-hander, who made his debut for Pakistan in a one-dayer against West Indies in Lahore in 1991.

A crowd of around 5,000 gave Inzamam a rousing send-off
A crowd of around 5,000 gave Inzamam a rousing send-off

"It was like yesterday when I began my one-day international career from this very ground in 1991. I'm satisfied that I'm leaving from the same venue."

Inzamam shot to prominence as a 22-year-old thanks to superb innings in the semi-finals and final of the 1992 World Cup, which Pakistan won.

After Rashid Latif lost the captaincy in 2003, he led his country until the end of the disastrous World Cup earlier this year.

That campaign also signalled the end of his one-day international career, during which he made 11,739 runs in 378 games at an average of 39.53.

He will continue playing, however, having signed a contract to play for the breakaway Indian Cricket League.

"I love the game and I am planning to establish a cricket academy," added Inzamam.

He listed Sir Viv Richards, Martin Crowe and Ricky Ponting as the three best batsmen he had seen, while Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Glenn McGrath, Courtney Walsh and Shaun Pollock were bowlers he rated highly.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "nzamam misses record in farewell!" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Leo

IF-Dazzler

Leo

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 12:47am | IP Logged
uufff!!! yaar!! Just missed the record!!! Cry but no probs!! He is one of the prolific batsmen i have seen! people won't forget him for a very long time!
About the cricket academy......I think he should open it fast because many youngsters will be interested in joining the academy! Big smile
Inzamam.....I can say only one thing.....YOU ROCKED! Clap Clap

XxMadhurixX

XxMadhurixX

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 10:58am | IP Logged
aww nly 3 runs bless him
he'll b disappointed
but we wnt Smile hes a legend
n always will b...

umi82990

IF-Sizzlerz

umi82990

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged
I know..that will always be haunting him!!

Oh well!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top