Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged

Aaj Navratri ka pehla din hai. Happy Navratri to everyone...

http://www.ahmedabadcity.com/tourism/html/navratri.html

animated file of couple performing ras-garba

The 9 nights festival of Navratri begins on the first day of Ashwina of the bright fortnight. Seeds are sown, sprouting is watched, the planets are consecrated, and on the 8th and 9th days, Goddess Durga, Vijayashtami and Mahanavami are worshipped.

The Devi Mahatmya and other texts invoking the Goddess who vanquished demons are cited.

The day after Navratri i.e. the 10th day after Ashwina, is Dussera which celebrates the victory of lord Rama over Ravana. Ravana is burnt in effigy, often giant dummies of Ravana stuffed with fireworks are shot with arrows until they blow up before a large, applauding audience.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

raj5000Dabulls23VinzyHowlarious

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Navratri ki Shubhkamnayen" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Howlarious

IF-Addictz

Howlarious

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged
Yup, starting today..I like dandiyaaaaaaaaaaa Embarrassed

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged
Happy Navratri to everyone, and for those who are planning on dancing - do a few rounds on my behalf Big smile

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged

Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

Happy Navratri to everyone, and for those who are planning on dancing - do a few rounds on my behalf Big smile

On my behalf too...maine apni 27 varsh ki aayu mein ek baar bhi dandiya nahin kiya hai..isliye sab milaakar karna. LOL

season915

Goldie

season915

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged

Hello all!!

DancingHappy Navratri to everyone!Dancing

Although I am Gujarati, I am not a big Garba fan. I am currently in the process of organizing Garba-Raas  for college but I'll be busy at the food counter Tongue. Lekin I will dance a little for all of you! Thumbs Up

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged

Navaratri is a composite festival celebrated all over India. Depending on gauna - local tradition, but for most beginning with the New Moon (Amavasya - dark moon night) or for some on the ninth day of the month of Virgo (Kanya) just prior to the Amavasya, or on the first day of the Hindu month of Ashwina (Padmanabha - Vaishnava mase), various ceremonies are performed. T essesnce of this festival consists of fasts and worship of nine aspects of Durga, one on each of the nine days. Navaratri is known as the Festival of Nights honoring the goddesses beginning

Consequently this festival of Navaratri is popularly known as Durga Puja in Bengal. After these nine days comes the Dashami, the tenth day, which is the day of the famous festival of Dussehra or Vijaya Dashami ( the tenth day of victory ). This is the day Lord Rama had killed Ravana, signifying the victory of good over evil. Vaishnavas generally being absorbed in Vijay Dashami rather than Durga puja.

" Rishi Markyndya" has given detail about Ma Durga and its nine forms. She is a form of "Shakti and power". The evolution of Shri Maha Saraswati, Shri Maha Laxmi and Shri Mahakali (the 3 main forms of "Shakti") took place from Shri Brahma, Shri Vishnu and Shri Mahesh respectively. Each of these 3 deities gave rise to 3 more forms and hence in all, these 9 forms together are known as Nav-Durga .....

1. Shailputri-1st night devoted to the puja of Ma Shailputri. Shail means mountains; Parvati, the daughter of king of Mountains Himavan, is known as "Shailputri". Her 2 hands, display a trident and a lotus. She is mounted upon a bull.

2. Bhramcharni- One hand holds a "Kumbha" or water port and the other rosary. She personifies love and loyalty. Bhramcharni is store-house of knowledge and wisdom. Rudraksha is HER most adorned ornament.

3. Chandraghanta- Worshipped on the 3rd night this Ma Durga Shakti is astride a tiger, displays a golden hue to her skin, possesses ten hands and 3 eyes. Eight of her hands display weapons while the remaining two are respectively in the mudras of gestures of boon giving and stopping harm. Chandra + Ghanta, meaning supreme bliss and knowledge, showering peace and serenity, like cool breeze in a moonlit night. Ma is worshipped in this form in Kanchipuram (Tamil Nadu) India.

4. Kushmanda- The 4th night begins the worship of Kushmanda, possessed of eight arms, holding weapons and a mala or rosary. Her mount is a tiger and she emanates a solar like aura. "Kumbh Bhand" means to see cosmic vivacity in Pindi shape or knowledge of cosmic intricacies in human race.

5. Skandmata- Using a lion as a vehicle she holds her son, SKAND in her lap while displaying 3 eyes and 4 hands; two hands hold lotuses while the other 2 hands respectively display defending and granting gestures. Its said, by the mercy of Skandmata, even the idiot becomes an ocean of knowledge.

6. Kaatyayani- As mother, Kaatyayani stayed in the Ashram of sage Katyayan for penance, hence she named as Kaatyayani. This 6th Shakti is also astride a lion with 3 eyes and 4 arms. One left hand holds a weapon and the other a lotus. The other 2 hands respectively display defending and granting gestures. Her complexion is golden coloured.

7. Kaalratri- Black skin with bountiful hair and 4 hands, 2 clutching a cleaver and a torch, while the remaining 2 are in the mudras of "giving" and "protecting". Her vahana is a faithful donkey. The destroyer of darkness and ignorance, Kaalratri is the seventh form of Nav-Durga meaning scourer of darkness; enemy of darkness. Kaalratri's famous shrine is in Calcutta, India

8. Mahagauri ..... Four arms with the fairest complexion of all the Durga Shaktis. Peace and compassion radiate from her being and she is often dressed in a white or green sari. She holds a drum and a trident and is often depicted riding a bull.

9. Siddhiratri- Ensconced upon a lotus, most commonly, with 4 arms, and is the possessor of 26 different wishes to grant her bhakts. Siddhiratri's famous pilgrim centre, is located in Nanda Parvat in the Himalayas.

http://www.astrolozy.com/ninedurga.htm

Swar_Raj

IF-Dazzler

Swar_Raj

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 8:42am | IP Logged
Deepak, just for beautiful actresses you have, I am sure all of us will do your share too...so happy Dandiya LOL

Dabulls23

IF-Stunnerz

Dabulls23

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged

Aeeeeeeeeee Halo Halo Garbe ramva Halo Halo Wink LOL

Happy Navratri to all my Gujju Parivar and to DMers Tongue

I am not a garba person either but must do one round of garba for Mataji.

Rest I keep my legs ready for Dandiya Raas.

Have fun & enjoy next 10 days!!

MAY THE DIVINE BLESSINGS...
FILL YOUR DAYS WITH GOOD CHEER AND HAPPINESS !

MAY YOUR CELEBRATION OF NAVRATRI BRING ALL THE BEST THINGS TO YOU

Wishing You a veryHappy Navaratri  

Edited by Dabulls23 - 12 October 2007 at 9:59am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top