Book Talk
Book Talk

India-Forums

Debate Contest Round 2

cool_pooja IF-Sizzlerz
cool_pooja
cool_pooja

Posted: 11 October 2007 at 1:22am | IP Logged

Finally, finally and finally we are here with the second round of our debate contest!

The first round was between the teams of JK Rowling and Dan Brown. The results of that round will be declared soon.

The second round is between the teams of Meg Cabot and Sidney Sheldon. The teams are as follows:

Meg Cabot:

Prithvi lover

Taran

FairyAngel

jigglypuff726

Sidney Sheldon:

damilola

Naughty_n_nice

shriyaroxxx

panache

The Guidlines for the Debate Contest, the rules and the marking criteria are as follows:

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=704049

The second round of the Debate Will end on 25th October.

And now teams start debating and make your author No.1! The opening statment both the teams should be made ASAP

Book Talk. Dev Team

Naughty_n_nice IF-Veteran Member
Naughty_n_nice
Naughty_n_nice

Posted: 11 October 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged

Hello Hug

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for having such a contest, and put forward my team's opening stand...

We'd like to say this (There's much much more reasons, but for now... Wink )

Sidney Sheldon... Or should i say the late Sidney Sheldon was, is and will remain the best story weaver ever seen in modern day. Stories like the best laid plans, if tomorrow comes, are you afraid of the dark, etc... Not only make your insides crawl with fear and feeling for the story, but give you SO much information on issues you'd never know of!!

*spoiler* - In the best laid plans, we get so much of information on multiple personality disorder that we really get intrigues by the issues!

*spoiler* - In If tomorrow comes, we learn just so much about what is REALLY happening in prisons for women, and that there exists a "profession" in con artists!

It is truly unbelievably, the world that Sidney Sheldon has thought us. On the contrary, what exactly has Meg Cabot taught us? Or given us any information about at all? The geography of a city and where the nearest donut shop is? Wow, truly brilliant! Embarrassed No disrespect meant... I too, like my worthy opponents have read the princess diaries and the mediator series... Have read stories of "Missing" and many more... But in the end, what do we end up with?

Expected love story, guy meets girl. Poof! Love!
Expected ending... Duh, happy!!! Does anything else exist???
Expected hot guy / brainy guy...
Expected girl's Point of view... Ever read of what's in the man's view??

Meg Cabot being a woman hasn't really gone into the male POV. WHY?
Sidney Sheldon on the other hand has gone into the woman's POV every single time! But the man's view is always there so we can see how it feels. The effect of his books are so startling, one cannot put the book down!

Here's a debate tribute to the best author i know of. Sidney Sheldon. I hand over the forum to you now...

May his soul rest in peace.

prithvi lover IF-Rockerz
prithvi lover
prithvi lover

Posted: 21 October 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by FairyAngel

Hey GuysBig smile,

On Behalf of the Meg Cabot DebatorsEmbarrassed, I will be starting out with the opening statement.Tongue

Most Literary authors, these days, cannot seem to appeal to the minds of teenage girls and young women. Books are often written in terms, as well as topics, to which young women cannot relate to what so ever. Meg Cabot, however, has achieved this this complicated task. Such can be demonstrated by one of her works being selected as "one of the nation's 100 best-loved novels in Great Britian," Edgar Allan Poe Nomination, and serveral other awards and nominations.  

Using Romance as her genre, Cabot has truly seccedded in which Sidney Sheldon has failed.  At this moment, the question which is to ask is not what Cabot has acheived but what Sheldon has failed at? The answer to this question is simple. His greatest failure is his inability to to produce a single book worth of recognition. Sure, his screenplays have gotten some public recognition, however does that truly matter in the world of Literature?

I think not. Meg Cabot, on the contrary, is known world-wide as the talented author of the ever-so popular Princess Diaries, Mediator Series, and All-American Girl Series. Furthermore her work in Princess Diaries recieved the greatest recognition by becoming a movie produced by Walt Dinsey.

Another failure of Sheldon is his inability to appeal to a mass of people. Sheldon uses crime fiction and thriller as themes in most of his books, however in this new age one does not possibly want to care to about such. Instead, one would rather pick up a book which can take him or her away from stress fill world of reality to another dream world.

Think about would you rather want to read about women's prisions in If Tomorrow Comes or read about a palace located in Genovia such as that in The Princess Diaries? Without a doubt most, if not all, would choose the palace in Genovia. If a person wanted to read about harshness of prisions why pick up a fiction book? Why not a peice biographical work?

To sum up the opening statement, Meg Cabot is truly one of the greatest, not only in America but also the entire world.  She possesses a great literatary talent which many authors envy, and also the great talent of appealing to a mass readers.

Heart Always

FairyAngel

i wish to say the same thing adding that meg cabot books are surely very enjoyable 2 teens.......whereas sum sidney sheldons books dun make sense! i tried 2 read sum of her books and i just dun understand the concept!

ppanache IF-Sizzlerz
ppanache
ppanache

Posted: 21 October 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged
I am going to talk on behalf of one of the best writers of all times..His stories had romance,mystery and touch of the super natural. Once you picked up his book..you would never want to let go of the book before you finish it..I am talking about none other than Sidney Sheldon..the author who gave a story the realism that it required..

Take his book..The other side of midnight......one of his best works..it depicts human nature to its bones..with a grey shade of characters that are in everyone of us...Sidney shelton picked on every human emotion that is there..his experimented with every shade of emotion that a person can go through..be it betrayal,hurt, vengence, love ..etc..

But Meg Cabbot....Her stories are love stories meant for teenagers..her stories don't have the emotional depth and variation of emotions that sidney Shelton effortless brought for in his books..

No wonder there are so many sidney shelton fans than Meg cabot fans...

Naughty_n_nice IF-Veteran Member
Naughty_n_nice
Naughty_n_nice

Posted: 22 October 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged

^ Agreed, yet why do you see men shirk and run away when you even mention books by meg cabot? No offense meant to this great writer but she has truly pin pointed upon her audience thereby limitting the appeal...

Women like her books? I have never come across anyone reading meg Cabot who is above 16 years old. I can vouch for that! Writing about countries, travels, plots which are just unbelievably catchy is just some of Sheldon's work. Meg Cabot's on the other hand would teach us how to french kiss a guy, what to wear to a sleepover, and where to hide your diary. Wow, phenominally world saving, isn't it?

Sidney Sheldon not only was a novelist, but also a broadway playright and Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter... He has even won an academy award for his brilliant work in this field!

Based upon awards, fan response, and book sales Cabot exceeds Sheldon on so many levels. In fact, I would say she is the number 1 writer for women and teenage girls.

You yourself have proved our point. Best among women and teenage girls? How much of the world is that... 5-10%? I used to read Meg Cabot books too, i went through that stage too... And honestly, there is not one word i have learnt from those books... (Talking from a literary aspect). The same old words put together, relaly... But in the case of Sheldon, i've learnt so so so many new words, so many new things! Let alone deeper meaning, what about "meaning"? The most complicated plot i've seen there would be "saturday night, date + party + dinner with mom... OMG DISASTER!!!"

And lastly, This is the list of best sellers here::
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bestselling_novels_in_t he_United_States_in_the_1990s

Search my dear friends for both the authors here, and let it prove it's point.

Thank you.
-Sam
cool_pooja IF-Sizzlerz
cool_pooja
cool_pooja

Posted: 23 October 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged
Good going people! Clap

Im just hear to inform both the teams that first of all, sidney sheldon's fellow team member, damiola is not well.. She is in coma and here is a thread for all of u to send ur best wishes to her:

http://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=763610

If the sidney sheldon's team wants, dey can bring another member in for the debate to replace her, since the show must go on..

Secondly, the date for the 2nd round has been extended to 1st Nov so we hope to see more response!

Pooja
shriyaroxxx IF-Dazzler
shriyaroxxx
shriyaroxxx

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged
Sidney Sheldon... what can I say, the writer who got me into REAL reading. Meg Cabot may be a brilliant writer, I agree, but Sidney Sheldon is truly outstanding in every sense of writing.

Originally posted by FairyAngel

Another point I would like to make is that Cabot does not only write for FEMALES. In fact, she has written several novels for MALES.

I'd like to question this point by asking how many males actually claim to have read a Meg Cabot novel?
Most people that you come across who have read a Meg Cabot novel are likely to be females, whereas Sidney Sheldon novels are liked by both genders alike.

And a Sidney Sheldon novel is more likely to be read by a 50 year old than a Meg Cabot novel, that is for certain.
jigglypuff726 IF-Sizzlerz
jigglypuff726
jigglypuff726

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged

hey everyone! pooja.. sorry for joining in this debate so late,CryCry my computer just got repaired today. sorry again..

i'm on meg's team so here's my piece supporting her. (i'm not really good at debating so please don't mind my mistakes, if there are any).

firstly i think it's wrong to say that only teenagers enjoy meg cabot's work. anyone who is young at heart & has gone through the interesting yet confusing phase of teenage years would be able to relate to meg cabot's characters.Tongue

take her princess mia character in princess diaries for instance. she isn't a really intriguing character who is shrouded by mystery nor is she sensuous or stunningly beautiful. princess mia is a normal teenage girl going through a very tough phase in her life. just like most normal people go through.

i think meg cabot should be applauded because she has the ability to make her character 'feel' real. this feel is what i think lacks in a sidney sheldon book. true, he has mystery, romance & all the neccessary spice in his books but the tinge of realism meg has in her writing, sidney most definitely doesn't have it.

meg cabot also inserts subtle hints of morality in her stories. we can learn lessons on how to be loyal & how to look beyond appearances from her stories. meg phrases all those little advices in her books in such a way that you can't ignore it but are also compelled to follow it.

a 50 year old can enjoy a meg cabot book if he/she is young at heart. after all, even the 50 year old must have been a teenager at one point of his/her life. meg cabot's works remind everyone on how to treasure the teenage phase of your life & even if her readers are more mature meg has the flair to make them relieve their innocent teenage years through her books.Smile

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top