Debate Mansion

Why do serials have such a stronghold

prem_diwani thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
We see tons of serials/ soaps  on many channels and are addicted to them.

This raises a question what is it about soaps that draws us to them like  moths to a flame..

Once people used to socialize, hold conversations on the phone, interact with family and friends, hang out , goof off and have an interest in sports etc, despite being out working the whole day. 

BUT now we seem to be a society getting mired in our 4 walls with firm do not disturb signs around us. Conversations occur in short bursts during ads (( Must thank advertisers for that - or we will some day just communicate in mime)), people are cut off on the phone if they call during an important dialogue, the maximum we are willing to tax our mind is on the scenario playing out in front of us.

Is there a resolution to breaking out of this mindless addiction? ( I am guilty of this too  😳 )

Do you agree that one barely has a life after 6 pm?

**PD**

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Only resolution i can think of is cut down soap watching by half . 😆

One can still do everything - from working out 4 times a week or sports if you like , meeting friends on the weekend and goofing off, watching soaps after you get back from work and you are too tired for conversation . Cuddle up in your loved one's arm and just watch tele !!! I feel if there's a will to do it , you will do everything , will live life to the fullest , including watching tele- soaps !!
Infact i feel when me and my husband don't have day to day conversation to make , we just sit close together and yak about the TV show....its fun !!

If you feel you aren't able to give a certain thing in your life time - you can surely cut down some where in your schedule and make time for it . It is possible !!! Life is too short , its best to find time today than postpone it for tommorow !It can be TV shows , or spend less time after hours at the office , ....or what ever you do , just fit in what you feel you are missing in life due to time !!
Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
Very true premdiwani. I am so addictated to any show that I don't want to get up and play outside in yard with my little one or take her to park or go for family walk or anything. So it was kind of being nuisance after i come home from work and stick to TV all the time. So we got rid of Indian Cable since last 1 year and I am fine. Now I am addicted to superstation and some TBS show (i love full house) 😛 So now last month I got rid of that too. So now we only have regular channel and no dish. 'coz if its there its hard for me to control and then my daughter was seeing more disney too.

I think sometime TV can be big nuisance. it takes your precious time and now you won't belive I spend so much quality time doing things going out biking in evening rather than sitting before dump box. I come to IF to be intouch with show i used to watch before and its great.
rat718 thumbnail
As far as I am concerned it is the control factor that plays an important role. Is Ekta Kapoor conrolling us or are we controlling her? If the TV starts to control us like with some people, that becomes a PROBLEM!. However, if it is us with our human brains (for which we are distiungshed from other creatures)use it and watch with discretion then it is not a problem. There was a real incident in Karnataka where the bride and bride groom did not agree to marry in the auspicious time, since they would have to miss their favorite serial. Now there is a huge PROBLEM!
kaleidoscope thumbnail
Interesting topic PD!
The actual problem is that we live in a society. And thats why we have to follow some trends. Anyone in ur family is watching a soap on tv, u have to watch it too with them if u donot have anyother option. And soaps are such things which if u watch three continuous episodes u will get addicted to it anyhow. The way it goes like a chain reactions.

Moreover If someone ask u that have u seen the yesterday's episode of XYZ serial and if u say polietly that, no i donot watch serials ...just imagine what kind of looks u have to face 😃 .

Nevertheless,I think starting more interesting shows apart from soaps will break this monopoly of soap opera trend.
-Faith- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: prem_diwani

We see tons of serials/ soaps  on many channels and are addicted to them.

This raises a question what is it about soaps that draws us to them like  moths to a flame..

Once people used to socialize, hold conversations on the phone, interact with family and friends, hang out , goof off and have an interest in sports etc, despite being out working the whole day. 

BUT now we seem to be a society getting mired in our 4 walls with firm do not disturb signs around us. Conversations occur in short bursts during ads (( Must thank advertisers for that - or we will some day just communicate in mime)), people are cut off on the phone if they call during an important dialogue, the maximum we are willing to tax our mind is on the scenario playing out in front of us.

Is there a resolution to breaking out of this mindless addiction? ( I am guilty of this too  😳 )

Do you agree that one barely has a life after 6 pm?

**PD**

after 6 pm anu...me barely has a life b4 tht even...i m on my other addiction..IF...wich is mindless yaar....😆

n i agree anu...gr8 n interestin topic...

prem_diwani thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thank you zainu 😳 ...

bg - how do u manage with the channels cut. I can't imagine my life without tv, coz I have always been a couch potato.

**PD**
divyagirl thumbnail

Originally posted by: prem_diwani

Thank you zainu 😳 ...

bg - how do u manage with the channels cut. I can't imagine my life without tv, coz I have always been a couch potato.

**PD**

Me too. I can't live without tv. I can't live without technology.

Signora2 thumbnail
RAT 718 wrote
Is Ekta Kapoor conrolling us or are we controlling her? If the TV starts to control us like with some people, that becomes a PROBLEM!. However, if it is us with our human brains (for which we are distiungshed from other creatures)use it and watch with discretion then it is not a problem. There was a real incident in Karnataka where the bride and bride groom did not agree to marry in the auspicious time, since they would have to miss their favorite serial. Now there is a huge PROBLEM!

YOU have raised very valid point, about the control factor, yes in many ways EKta is imposing her will and her kind of philosophy on us. Willy nilly we are falling in a trap. I have never been happy with the way she portrays most of her characters, women are always vicious hurting each other.
Then her serials are overlording on our time, i had read a similar story where an NRI boy comes home to visit his parents in India after 12 years, on reaching home there is no warm welcome, instead he gets to see his old parents glued to TV with a frown clearly stating they were disturbed and will not move to greet him.
signora2
shriman thumbnail
Well.. yes.... it is true.. people in India are just glued to the TV screen and are watching these shows which are somwhat useless..... Here is what Tulsi said in a recent interview:

Question by UK: Tulsi, U R encouring these STUPID SERIALS and what politics, that is just business.
Tulsi: I am not encouring serials, you are encouring by watching them and I don't think you would understand politics, because with a name like UK, you won't share the Indian Sentiment"