Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ANJANA thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Bitter slice of life

Socially-relevant themes have always been featured in Bollywood, and now, television too is churning out many shows where plots are infused with realism, says Srabanti Chakrabarti

The Indian television industry is silently but steadily breaking a number of myths prevalent in the entertainment industry. Something that its bigger and mightier counterpart could not do with films, despite being around for many more decades. The first and foremost being the fact that a heroine needs to be fair and gorgeous — if someone does not fit the bill, she is not qualified to play the lead role. The television industry debunked that myth with quite a few leading ladies — Rajashree Thakur, Parul Chauhan, — playing lead roles purely on the basis of their acting skills.

Socially relevant themes is another case in point. While parallel cinema has been in existence right from 50s, it was branded and kept aside as something that could not appeal to the masses. The television industry, to a great extent, could change that as well. Serials like Balika Vadhu, Laado, Agle Janam Mohe Betiyan Hi Kijo, Bhagyavidhata, among others have not only captured critics' attention, but also garnered TRPs to keep them on air for a long time.

The latest myth to be broken by Indian television is to allow a dwarf to play the leading role in a new serial. We have seen a few films based on a similar theme, the most memorable being Appu Raja. But there is one major difference. While the story of this film revolved around a person who is a dwarf, the role was played by Kamal Hassan; not a dwarf in real life. In the case of Baba Aiso Varr Dhoondo on Imagine, the role is being played by a 20-year-old girl who is a dwarf in real life too.

This show is the story of Bharati — a talented young woman and a wonderful human being. She has everything going for her — a well-to-do family that loves and pampers her. Unfortunately, as she is a midget, she has to face ridicule and rejection wherever she goes. Like all other girls of her age, Bharati also longs for a man who will love her, despite her physical condition.  Juhi Aslam, a trained actress and a girl who suffers from the same physical condition that Bharati does, is essaying the role of the protagonist.

Juhi is pursuing her bachelor's degree in Science and hails from Shikohabad near Agra. She dreams of becoming a doctor one day and never thought she could become an actress because of her height. She was surprised when the casting coordinator from the show offered her a role. "The casting co-coordinator saw me in college and approached me. He wanted to know whether I would be interested in acting. For obvious reasons, I thought he was joking but when he was persistent, I asked him to speak to my parents.
That is how I bagged the role," says Juhi. How did her parents react? "Initially my mother was a bit hesitant, but my father and grandfather were extremely positive about my decision," explains the actress.

Says Raakesh Paswan, writer and producer of the show, "The biggest asset of this show is the simplicity with which the role of Bharati has been portrayed by Juhi. Her emotions come straight from her heart since she deals with such situations in her real life." Adds Saurabh Tewari Head of Programming Fiction, Imagine, "It's an extraordinary story that had to be told in an extraordinary manner. Bharati is a unique character to have appeared on TV. We've added a great amount of believability and credibility to the story by selecting Juhi who essays Bharati's role. It's a emotional, heart-wrenching and an entertaining drama that will infuse freshness into the TV scene."

How did the thought of having a show with such a storyline come to his mind? Paswan shares the story behind the development of the serial. "I have been working on this concept for more than a year. Saurabh and I have already worked together in Bhagyavidhata.. and so when I approached him with this idea, he was very excited and asked me to move ahead with it. But the story really crystallised after I attended a marriage reception where I came across a lady in her 30s who was a dwarf. I could see the problems she faced.  He adds further, "It is funny how human height plays a role in development of a person's psychology. Height leads to superior and inferior complex and I have tried to showcase all emotions a dwarf girl experiences, through this show."
ANJANA thumbnail
Puneet Tejwani and Angad Hasija

Puneet Tejwani who played Shlok in Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai is reentering the show next week. His entry will mean high drama as well as some happy moments for the Rajvansh family.

A source says, "Before the show wraps up next month we are going to sort out the major issues in the Rajvansh family. We will deal with Alekh's mental condition. He couldn't accept his wife Sadhna's death and he lost his mental balance. Now we are bringing back Shlok, a doctor and friend of Alekh who helped him in the past to come out of his trauma. In a dramatic turn of events he is shocked to see an insane Alekh again. He eventually comes to know everything and promises to treat Alekh. Shlok's efforts will start showing positive effects and Alekh will get well."

Puneet who was last seen in Yeh Pyaar Na Hoga Kam says, "Yes I am returning to Bidaai. Tomorrow is my first day of shoot. I do not know many details about my entry sequence."

Shlok's entry will take place in the show by next Thursday.

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

With lots of fun, diyas, crackers, mithaiyan, drama, laughter, splendid acts and performances of your favorite television artists, STAR Plus gears up to celebrate the biggest festival of the year in grandeur and in style! STAR Plus welcomes the festive season this October with twin-episodes of Diwali Dilon Ki, airing October 23rd and 30th at 8pm! The first episode of the show kick-starts with an incredible Charkula act by Pooja Gor and Parul Chauhan, as they dance with a stack of matkas and diyas precariously balanced on their heads. While Ashita, Akshat and Abhishek Awasthi take centre-stage for a spectacular Krishna – Narakasura act with UV lights, Gopi, Ahem, Alekh, Akashi and Aamir Ali deliver a foot tapping performance
depicting national integration. This fun act is followed by Sanjeeda's perfect rendition of the nine roops of Devi in her Navdurga act. The first episode of the Diwali extravaganza ends in anticipation of the special Bollywood performance in the show.

STAR Plus plays host to Malaika Arora Khan's first ever stage performance of the scorching hot number – Munni Badnaam Hui! Malaika sets the stage on fire this Diwali as she dances on her popular Munni track with all the elderly women members of Star Parivaar. Munni persuades the daadis and sasumas of the Star family to shake a leg with her on the cult hit number!

This unbelievable act by Daadi from Sasuraal Genda Phool, Ammaji from Mann Ki Awaaz Pratigya, Kokila from Saath Nibhana Saathiya, Bhabi Maa from Yeh Rishta Kya kehlata Hai and Daadi from Chand Chupa Badal Mein along with Malaika, surely takes your breath away.

~ Join us in the biggest celebration of the year – DIWALI DILON KI, October 23rd and 30th at 8 pm only on Star Plus! ~

http://www.mastione.com/pooja-gor-and-parul-chauhan-on-star-plus-sets-diwali-dilon-ki/

niveditha thumbnail

A spectacular performance by the Parul Chauhan aka Ragini of Bidaai and Pooja Gor aka Pratigya that will leave the viewers awed as the two artists do this traditional Charkula Act. Seeing the experts face accidents is not really encouraging for the freshers, but kudos to the courage shown by our veteran actors who managed to complete the act with such brilliance.

Catch Ragini and Pratigya in the Charkula act on "DIWALI DILON KI" on October 23rd and 30th at 8 pm only on Star Plus!

http://www.mastione.com/a-special-charkula-act-by-ragini-and-pratigya-on-star-plus/

niveditha thumbnail
Prerna Wanvari to enter Bidaai!

Prerna Wanvari of Bandini soon to enter Rajan shahi's Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai...

ANJANA thumbnail
Prerna Wanvari

Prerna enters as the 'woh' in Bidaai

Few days back Shlok (Puneet Tejwani) returned in Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai. Now the latest new entry in the show is his girl friend Shivani. Prerna Wanvari is going to essay this character.

A source says, "Shivani is Shlok's girl friend, she arrives to meet Shlok and happens to meet Anmol. In the past Anmol and Shivani were in love with each other. She tries to reveal this truth in front of Ragini and get Anmol back in her life.
It is a negative character and Prerna has already started shooting for the show. In the end even though she tries to create friction between Anmol-Ragini, their bond will grow stronger. Meanwhile Alekh will eventually recover from his mental illness, while Sakshi's real motto of entering in the Rajvansh family will also get exposed."

Prerna says, "I am playing a model who is very ambitious about her career. She is Anmol's ex-girl friend and has come in the family to disturb his future."

Prerna's entry in the show will take place on Monday.

niveditha thumbnail
Bidaai ki vidaai - actors teary eyed

Sapna Babul ka Bidaai, a novel concept that launched three years ago has reached its end. And unlike other shows that are axed owing to low TRPs, Bidaai is bidding adieu with its head held high.

The show that's still fetching the channel a TRP of four is ending on the 13th of November. One will miss the cuteness of Alekh, refined Ragini, Vasundhara Rajvansh – mother-in-law who has had a change of heart towards her daughters-in-law and the gathering of the TV audience with their dinners served hot in platters to watch the show together. But with this end we hope a better beginning and hope the new show that steps into Bidaai shoes becomes as successful as its predecessor. As the show reaches its last leg, we speak to Alekh and Ragini (Angad Hasija and Parul Chauhan) about their journey and getting the bumper debut on television so far.

Angad has had an eventful journey but only few know that he was once rejected before getting finalised to play Alekh. He reminisces, "Alekh is a cute and subdued guy and I looked like a stud with long hair when I met Rajan sir for the first time. I was rejected because I didn't fit the bill. Later, I chopped my tresses off and went back to him. He was taken by surprise with my new look and asked me to audition for Alekh's character. While I was auditioning, he left even before it ended. I feared I would get rejected for the second time thinking that Rajan ji didn't like me. Later I came to know from the unit that he was happy to find his Alekh in me. I was on cloud nine."

Angad is all praises for his fans who have supported him throughout. "I never even in the wildest imagination thought that I would become so successful with my debut show. For a newcomer there could be no better launch than this. It was a like a dream which ceases to end. Now that the show is ending I still think of it as a dream. Last three years have been the golden period of my life. I never for once regretted the demanding hours of a daily soap like other actors. Bidaai has always given me love, success and fame."

Echoing the sentiments, Parul Chauhan aka Ragini says, "The journey has been a fabulous experience and as a newcomer this has been the dream launch for me. I am disheartened as its ending. The show is still fetching the channel a TRP of four plus still it's going to end. I can't digest the strategy. I don't understand the logic behind pulling off a successful show like Bidaai. There was a time when Bidaai was all over and now it's set to close down."

Angad too is upset and sad as the show is nearing its end. He quips, "I definitely feel bad that the show ending. This is a show very close to us and the viewers alike. They supported us for everything."

Both Angad and Parul remember the entire journey of the show as the most memorable journey so far of their life. Says Angad, "Every moment spent on and off the show is going to be cherished. We have had so much fun while shooting for the show. I don't think I have ever been so happy in my life like I have been for the past three years. Kinshuk and I are like brothers for different mothers. He left the show before it ends but I miss him a lot. We shared the same make-up room and I still have our picture together from the first day of the shoot. Whenever I look at it, tears roll down my cheeks."

Like Angad and Kinshuk (Ranvir Rajvansh), the leading ladies of the show, Parul and Sara Khan (Sadhna) too were inseparable. "I miss Sara a lot and wish she was a part of the conclusion too."

"I had a lump in my throat when Rajan ji messaged me about Bidaai coming to an end. I messaged him back with tears rolling down that I didn't even realise the duration we have covered. I just remember the day we launched when Rajan sir told me that he feels proud of finding his Ragini in Parul and today he is telling me that the show is ending. I just couldn't hold my tears back."

Angad wants producer Rajan to call the shots during the last day of the show like he did in the beginning, for he knows his baby the nest. He reasons out, "Rajan sir should be given the authority to shoot the climax of the show like he did for the launch. He should be given all the rights to decide on the ending."

Parul simply snubbed the question and said, "I don't want to think about it at all. I don't wish it to end."

Like they say all good things come to an end, we hope Bidaai actors will soon be back with a bang.

http://starplus.startv.in/news/876/bidaai-ki-vidaai--actors-teary-eyed.aspx

ANJANA thumbnail
Mumbai: Star Plus bids a colourful farewell to one of its most successful prime time telly drama- Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai with the two hour long finale Maha-episode this Saturday, November 13th at 7 pm. Adorning the Star Plus bouquet since Oct 2007, the show has sent the TRP charts soaring and has remained one of the most watched Hindi shows on Indian television and continues its slot leadership in its recent week with a 4.7 TVR (TAM Ratings, Week 44 of 2010).

This story of two sisters, Sadhna and Ragini, captured the imaginations of the Indian viewers who grew with these sisters, celebrated in their happiness and grieved in their sorrows. The characters played Sara Khan (Sadhna), Parul Chauhan (Ragini), Angad Hasija (Alekh), Ranveer (Kinshuk Mahajan), Alok Nath (Mamaji), Vibha Chibbar (Kaushalyaji), Apoorva Agnihotri (Anmol), Ashita Dhawan (Malti), Amardeep Jha (Sumitra), Naveen Saini(Vineet) became members of every Indian household.

The show had some memorable moments like the romantic union of Ranveer and Ragini at Taj Mahotsav, the sisters clash at Natraj Mahatosav and the unforgettable Ragini-Ranveer wedding that fetched an average of 8.9 TVR, the highest that any Hindi GEC shows fetched in previous 100 weeks prior to week 2 of 2010. The most tragic turning point of the story, Sadhana's death, came as a shock to the fans, making it almost impossible for them to get used to the idea of Sadhna not there in their lives. Despite that, the show never failed to attract its viewers to tune in at 9 pm, day after day, week after week making it the staple diet of every television buff in the country.

As the show inches towards its climax this November 13, watch if the soul mates reunite on the show. Watch if misunderstandings stand a chance when faced with true love. What's in store for Ragini, Anmol, Alekh and Sakshi? Find out all this on the final episode of the show. Also Star Plus' most loved characters – Suhana & Ishaan (Sausral Genda Phool), Priya & Aditya (Maryaada) and many more will put together a special performance on this finale episode.
niveditha thumbnail
Rajvansh family gets emotional

STAR Plus and  Directors' Kut are all set to bid farewell to their most successful telly drama, Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai with a two hour extravaganza that will be aired this Saturday from 7-9 pm.

The show launched the careers of Parul Chauhan, Kinshuk Mahajan, Angad Hasija, Sara Khan, Ashita Dhawan, Naveen Saini and gave a big comeback platform to veteran actors like Seema Kapoor, Avinash Wadhawan, Alok Nath and Vibha Chibber. The show also happens to be the flagship show for Rajan Shahi's Directors Kut.

For the cast and crew, it will be an emotional farewell to a show that had launched them. "It's a mixed feeling. In the three years of working with the show, we have had some highs and lows. That is natural when you're shooting round the clock. However, shooting today was a nostalgic feeling. I find it hard to explain in words," says Vasundhara Rajvansh.

She adds that there were many moments on the show that were memorable. "I consider that my character had so many shades to it, which showcased my acting ability. I enjoyed shooting my scenes with Alekh, especially the one where he tried killing me at knifepoint and the emotions portrayed in the mother-son relationship between us," she adds.

Angad Hasija, who plays Alekh on the show said, "I would like to thank Rajan Sir who gave me this opportunity to play the role of Alekh. Yesterday we all were crying at Rajan Sir's house. We recalled some of the great times all of us had together."

He added that the scenes with Seemaji and Alokji were memorable. "I got to learn so much from them. I even liked how Alekh and Sadhana slowly over time realise that they are in love with each other."

The show was launched on 8th October, 2007 and had a TVR of 4.6. In December 2007, the show went up another notch when the ratings touched 5.4 TVR. This began from the episode where Ragini broke her marriage (her in-laws rejected her at the mandap because she was dark complexioned in comparison to her sister).

In March 2008 Bidaai reached a new high when Sadhana and Alekh's wedding took place in the show. The show touched TVR of 6.0. Then seven months later in October 2008, the show only climbed higher with the Taj Mahotsav event. Hema Malini participated in the Taj mahotsav with the sisters. The episode rated 8.8 TVR which was the highest rating for a show on Hindi GEC in more than 500 days at that time. Then in January 2009, Bidaai soared higher with Ragini and Ranveer's wedding that had a TVR of 9.6.

The show has been a slot leader for the longest time. This has been the first show to beat Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi to the No.1 position in its early days. The channel took a risk of killing the characters of Sadhana and Ranveer who were the life and blood of the show, but Bidaai still maintained the ratings. This only proved that people watched the show for the love of the story and not just the characters.

Sakshi aka Sulgana Panigrahi, who was an important part of the show said that it was a wonderful experience shooting and being part of the show. "We all had such a wonderful rapport and I'm glad to share space with actors like Seema Kapoor," she said, adding that one of her favourite scenes in the show was when Tarun attended her engagement ceremony. "It was beautifully shot," she reminisces.

Similarly, Kinshuk Mahajan, who plays Ranveer on the show said that the scenes with Alekh were memorable, as was his first meeting with Ragini. "I will miss all these guys as we had become family."

The cast and crew also had a big thanks for Sara Khan, who wasn't present due to her participation in Bigg Boss. "We all missed Sara, but know that she was there in spirit with us," they said.

The two hour special episode, as reported earlier, will see the twin weddings of Alekh-Sakshi (Sulagna Panigrahi) and Ragini-Anmol (Apoorva Agnihotri). Another captivating aspect of the Maha episode will be that the three leads of Directors' Kut, Parul Chauhan, Hina Khan (Ye Rishta Ky Kehlata Hai) and Neha Sargam (Chand Chupa Badal Mein) will be seen together on the dance floor. There is also a buzz that Kinshuk Mahajan, who played the role of Ranveer, will be seen in the climax scene.

Don't forget to watch the whole Rajvansh family for the last time this Saturday at 7 pm only on STAR Plus.

Dhanashri Kulkarni/Hill Road Media
Friday, November 12, 2010

http://starplus.startv.in/news/936/rajvansh-family-gets-emotional.aspx
ANJANA thumbnail
A still from Bidaai
It's never happened before in the history of Indian television that a serial doing well and garnering high television rating points (TRPs) is going off air.

But Star Plus is set to bring in a new wave, as it draws the curtains on Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai and ushers in a new show Gulaal, to start on November 15th. Bidaai has had a great run past three years, being the number one show on the TRP charts a very long time, and the decision to wrap it up was a tough one, admits CEO of Star India, Uday Shankar.

But there's a positive thought behind it. "We want to leave fond memories in our viewers' minds. They watched this show because they were emotionally connected with it, not out of sheer habit and that's remarkable."

Shakar adds, "We at Star believe that a show doing well should not be the reason for it continuing. If we feel we don't have an interesting dimension to carry on then we should have a dignified exit. People should be wondering why, rather than why not," says Shankar, who promises a grand bidaai for this show with a two-hour special maha-episode tonight from 7 to 9 pm.

"It's truly an iconic show and deserves a dignified farewell," he adds. Producer-director Rajan Shahi is upbeat too. "Bidaai has not only given a strong foundation, recognition and a fresh lease to everyone associated with it, be it the producer, actors, technicians and channel, it has truly become a landmark, a trademark and a benchmark in every sense. The channel and I unanimously agreed that whenever the show ends, it should on a high and it does so being among the top five shows today. Our entire team is happy and proud to end as winners."

Read more: A new wave on Indian Television! - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv-/A-new-wave-on-Indian-Television/articleshow/6912854.cms#ixzz155bR6Ckp