Prithviraj Chauhan

History of Rajputs - Emergence of Royal C

crazy_kiran thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

The first Rajput kingdoms are attested in the 6th century, and the Rajputs rose to prominence in Indian history in the ninth and tenth centuries. The four Agni kula clans, the Pratiharas (Pariharas), Chauhans (Chahamanas), Solankis (Chaulukyas), and Paramaras (Parmars), rose to prominence first. The Pratiharas established the first Rajput kingdom in Marwar in southwestern Rajasthan, with the Chauhans at Ajmer in central Rajasthan, the Solankis in Gujarat, and the Paramaras in Malwa. The Rajput Rai Dynasty ruled Sind during the 6th and 7th centuries. Sind was conquered by an Arab Muslim army of the Califate, led by Bin Qasim, in the 8th century. Bin Qasim attacked Chittorgarh, and was defeated by Bappa Rawal Guhila. The Pratiharas rebuffed another Arab invasion in the ninth century. Significant Muslim invasions were then not attempted until the eleventh century, largely due to the formidable reputation of the Rajput clans. The Pratiharas later established themselves at Ujjain and ruled Malwa, and afterwards at Kanauj in the Ganges-Yamuna Doab, from which they ruled much of northern India, from Kathiawar in the west to Magadha in the east, in the ninth century. Clans claiming descent from the Solar and Lunar races, who were originally vassals of the other clans, later established independent states. The Guhilas (later called the Sisodias) established the state of Mewar (later Udaipur), under Bappa Rawal, who ruled at Chittorgarh, which was given in dowry to Bappa in 734 for his bravery. The Kachwaha clan came to rule Dhundhar, with their capital at Amber, and later Jaipur. The Chandela clan ruled Bundelkhand after the tenth century, occupying the fortress-city of Kalinjar and building the famous temple-city of Khajuraho. The Tomaras established a state in Haryana, founding the city of Dhiliki (later Delhi) in 736. The Kachwahas, Chandelas, and Tomaras were originally vassals of the Pratihara kingdom.

The inscriptions from this period mention frequent intermarriage among the ruling clans.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bezella thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
yup...evn ive read dis b4....thnkz newaz!!!! 😳
mad-about-Rajat thumbnail
thanks kiran..you're always so sweet
U got a compliment,Kiran πŸ˜† πŸ˜›
crazy_kiran thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: lime ice

U got a compliment,Kiran πŸ˜† πŸ˜›

yeah unlike u others find me very likeableπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

crazy_kiran thumbnail

Ya,I know all this

oh has it been posted before..........sorry i didnt knowπŸ˜•

Really...Rich coming from U..Don't take things on face value
crazy_kiran thumbnail

Really...Rich coming from U..Don't take things on face value

so we back to bickering at each other to pass away our boredom😊

sword2exile thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
hey kiran 😊 thnx a lot for sharin dis piece of information wid us 😳 though v already knew abt dis. πŸ˜‰
Uh yaa..Nothingg..I am not in a very good mood..& wen I am not..I take it out on every-one..I am sorry