Punjabi Channel

Are the female leads important?

bewafa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hey guys!

So exciting that this channel is up and running! That is why IF rocks just so much more! πŸ˜ƒ

Ok, my question is, are the female leads in Punjabi movie important? We say that Bollywood doesn't give much scope to female leads, but we still do get movies like Anjaam, Page 3, Corporate and Black, where the actresses are provided ample scope to prove themselves.

But is that the same with Punjabi movies?

Let's see...in all the recent movies that have been churned out, none of the female leads have been the same.

If we look at HMann's movies, there has been a new actress opposite him in every single movie! Even other movies, such as Jimmy Shergill's YNB and Mannat, had different female leads, same with Ek Jind Ek Jaan (had Nagma).

And in those movies, the actresses barely had anything to do, and in the case of HMann's movies, one actress had to play an 'angrezi NRI' and the other, a 'desi Indian'.

So, what is the reason that no actress actually does more than one movie? Why do they keep on changing? Is it because they're in search for greener pastures in Bollywood? Or, family issues? As we know that Punjabi families are a lot stricter than most? Or maybe majority of the Punjabi audience isn't ready to accept the female lead to do something worthwhile?

Hope is around the corner though, Deepa Mehta will be directing a Punjabi film, based on domestic violence, starring Preity Zinta!! That is a great opportunity to bring to the forefront such a pressing issue, and also, make a woman's role central to a punjabi movie!

So, what do you guys think about this?

Ena πŸ˜›

Edited by bewafa - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rachu_1987 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
yeah I get what you're trying to say and I agree, in all of the punjabi films i have seen the focus has been on the male lead whereas the female lead plays a small role but i guess it is sometimes significant

I'm fully sure there are some wonderful female punjabi actresses who will make their films a success if they are given the right chance

And as to why the female actresses being changed....probably to give the others a chance, and to give us a change, if the jodi isn't a hit then we'll be stuck with watching the same pair over and over again so it makes a refreshing change 2 see new faces.

Yea Priety's film will be out soon and hopefully that will start a trend with punjabi movies with female leads who had a signiicant part in the film....all hope is not lost πŸ˜›

great discussion btw 😊
Angelic_J thumbnail

I am sorry but i disagree with you here😳 even though the punjabi actresses don't have too much of screen space their characters are really significant to the storyline😳 For example Jee Aayan nu was about the differences between a couple who's from different backgrounds and from what i saw there was a LOT of importance given to Priya Gill's character and same in Yaaran naal baharaanπŸ˜› The only exception might be in ANMWD where kimi's character pali had no significant value to the movie but even Hmann didn't have a lot of value in that movie so all's goodπŸ˜›

gk_09 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Nice Discussion Topic! 😳

I'll post my thoughts in a bit 😳
Xx..£uvñëët..xX thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
wow Ena! someone's into it πŸ˜† alright well u know what, i agree with u.. females in the Punjabi movie industry don't do much.. especially in all the movies I've seen. They basically jus sit there and look pretty, or they're there just to provide a romantic angle to the story.. all other focus is on the hero and his struggles! hmph!

and another thing I find annoying is how Punjabi girls often LIE about their marital status, or their relationships just so that they can score a movie. Honestly its not much their fault.. but apparently a married/committed woman can't achieve much success in the punjabi film industry..for example u can take Neeru Bajwa who everyone knows was/is with Amit Sadh! Yet there were rumours that they broke up JUST before her movie released, if i can even call it HER movie lol.. and she even said herself that NO i dont have anyone in my life right now. hmm strange aye?

Well i havent heard about that movie ur talkin about Ena.. the one about domestic violence.. but sure sounds interesting. Lets hope a Punjabi woman can prove she can act, and that she deserves MORE than just a side role πŸ˜ƒ

haha ok thats enough bhashan.. onto u guys now
_sukhi_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
πŸ˜† wow ena nice topic re..... ermmm as the male person i would say it is important... they support the male lead in every film nearly it should be good to see some girls playing the lead an that mostly comes from say a lawyer lol... or a policeman or something like that.. but it depends on what sort of story could be offered an talking about acting skills its hard to acutally see as they only have small roles in major films... maybe it will work maybe not that depends..the filmz before was about u killed ma babu now imma gonna kill u.... these dayz its a little different... but i dont really see in the future many films coming for female roles... coz its just the way its been going on.... if there are then respect to them... an wish them the best... would be great seing them... an the male as the supporting role lol πŸ˜† a chamcha ghar wala temi goes to work... with her police vardiii... wah i can see it now... super hit lol πŸ˜† πŸ˜†