Gay Bishops Right or Wrong?

Posted: 16 years ago
Gay bishop move rejected by Kenya
Archbishop Benjamin Nzimbi
Archbishop Nzimbi said the US church has not gone far enough
The head of Kenya's Anglican Church has rejected a compromise over gay bishops by US Episcopal Church leaders. They have said they will halt the ordination of gay bishops and public blessings of same-sex relationships to prevent a split in the Anglican Church. "That word 'halt' is not enough," said Archbishop Benjamin Nzimbi. Many African Anglicans threatened to leave the worldwide Anglican Communion after the ordination of the first openly gay bishop four years ago. The American Church was told to meet the conditions by 30 September or lose membership of the communion. US bishops made the decision after a six-day meeting in New Orleans. The meeting was attended in part by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, who urged the Episcopal Church to make concessions for the sake of unity. 'Repent' Last month, Archbishop Nzimbi presided over the consecration of two US bishops, Bill Murdoch and Bill Atwood, who left the US branch of the Anglican Church - the Episcopal Church - after it consecrated an openly gay bishop, Gene Robinson, in 2003.
Bishop Bill Atwood, left, and Bishop William Murdoch in All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi
Two US bishops were consecrated in Kenya last month
The Kenyan archbishop said the US church leaders' comments did not go far enough. "What we expected to come from them is to repent - that this is a sin in the eyes of the Lord and repentance is what me, in particular, and others expected to hear coming from this church," he said. Correspondents say it was hoped the agreement would help defuse the crisis. But Assistant Bishop of Kampala, Ugandan David Zac Niringiye, says it was "not a change of heart" and showed the church was already split. "What this situation has brought to the fore is the malaise - something much deeper - that the entire communion has not dealt with and the consecration of Bishop Gene really brought to the surface something that was there," he told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme. "It is not the same church because it's broken on very fundamental lines." Traditionalists in the US are already making plans to set up their own independent church. Conservative churchgoers believe homosexuality is contrary to the Church's teachings. However, liberal Anglicans have argued that biblical teachings on justice and inclusion should take precedence. The Episcopal bishops did reaffirm their commitment to the civil rights of gay people and said they opposed any violence towards them or violation of their dignity. The meeting in New Orleans follows a summit of Anglican leaders in Tanzania earlier in the year which gave the US Episcopal Church a deadline of 30 September to define its position on the issue.

The leaders threatened that a failure to do so would leave their relationship with the US branch of Anglicanism "damaged at best".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7014907.stm

***no offence to any religious believes* just for debate***

Do you believe Now a days societies greater acceptance of homosexuals??? 😳

Is homosexuality a perversion?Is it a mental illness??😳

Do you think its give impact on the spiritual  or moral and ethical Believers??😳 or its a part of Religious freedom?😳

Edited by raj5000 - 16 years ago
I don't think anybody choses to be attracted to certain gender only. It just is. It can't be written in any holy book to have to reject yourself for man-made ideas. I agree most of the books contain eternal wisdom, but some ideas can be very outdated.

Of course, I look at holy books from a literary perspective. I assume these are written by wise people, and have been written to keep the norms of the society they were set in. With changing times, some of the interpretations, etc. change. Besides, people are known to twist religion, etc. for their own benefit.

I see no wrong in accepting homosexuals as they are, and letting them preach. IT 's like any other job; you don't let your personal preferences interfere with the job. I wonder if I am making sense.

Persy Edited by persistence - 16 years ago
Originally posted by #1EijazFan

you honestly don't mind a preacher who speaks to hundreds in sunday mass and holy days to be (for all you know) looking at boys aged 21+. I feel thats worse than any other married guy looking at a married woman.

What about the straight preacher looking at 21+ girls?πŸ˜•

they're not allowed to get married anyway lol. You are wrong there. The preacher of the Church near by is a happy married family man😊. Only few Christian preachers aren't allowed to marry. Rest all can.

Connie, would help here.

and even if he is str8 looking at girls, he needs to be sacked, i jus think it is much worse being gay because first of all you are looking at people in church but second of all with a guy? ofcourse a sin is a sin and only god has the right to judge but we sorta see his view through the Bible😊

I was making the same point there. Whether one looks at young boys or girls, it is shameful.

If it is written in the holy book and the religion specifically states that it is not allowed under the religion (and I dont know since I havent read the book πŸ˜‰ )

Then it would be hypocritical to have preachers of the religion as homosexuals, unless there is first a drive to rewrite the Original book to permit homosexuality πŸ˜†

Anyway, I think it is the right of the people of the faith and the religious heads to decide whether it should be acceptable or not

I dont belong to that religion so I dont have a right to tell anyone who they should or should not have as their religious preachers, I wouldnt want someone else to tell me who and what attributes the preachers of "my" religion should have πŸ˜‰

Edited by sareg - 16 years ago

they can marry there? woah! don't know about bishops there but here they definitely aren't allowed to marry! because the whole point is that their life is meant to be dedicated to God and God only. Thats why there is no room for a wife and children.πŸ˜•

maybe US system is different, here, whats the point, ur not commiting urself to God because ur time is being shared with others.πŸ˜•

I am not talking about Bishops. I am talking about preachers and fathers in the church. In India too we have many family friends who are fathers of Church and married with kids.

Nowhere in the Bible it is written that to serve god one should remain unmarried though in some Christian churches, fathers don't marry.

I think you have got whole point of how to serve god wrong. πŸ˜›

My knowledge on this is limited so it would be nice if a Christian throws light on it. What I have mentioned here is courtesy lots of Christian family friends. I have American neighbors who even call Jesus, gay (ofcourse jokingly) and still go to Church regularly.

Edited by Maya_M - 16 years ago
The numerous denominations of Christianity go to show that the Bible has been interpreted in many ways.

Now let us move to Catholicism which this debate is about. Catholic's have a stronger code for their Bishops and Priests. One of them being abstinence.

At the same time biologically lust and carnal desire are natural. You cannot defy hormones. When your hormones are triggered by the right stimulus you experience desire. Absitenence is not the elimination of desire but the suppression and control of that desire. Any Priest will experience desire, but the true test is that they suppress their desires for the purpose of service to God. So logically what difference is homosexual desire from heterosexual desire. If the Priest is able to successfully suppress it, then why should he be denied.

Has anyone read Thornbirds or seen the TV series. I think it shows the great eternal conflict between human desire and service to God.

That being said, this is my personal viewpoint as a non Catholic. It would be foolhardy for me to expect any religion to take my view at face value. I think the church can decide in matters of their internal affairs as long as they do not interfere in mine.
Originally posted by Maya_M

I am not talking about Bishops. I am talking about preachers and fathers in the church. In India too we have many family friends who are fathers of Church and married with kids.

Nowhere in the Bible it is written that to serve god one should remain unmarried though in some Christian churches, fathers don't marry.

I think you have got whole point of how to serve god wrong. πŸ˜›

My knowledge on this is limited so it would be nice if a Christian throws light on it. What I have mentioned here is courtesy lots of Christian family friends. I have American neighbors who even call Jesus, gay (ofcourse jokingly) and still go to Church regularly.

@bold - yes, same opinion. Have met and added masses conducted by priests who have happy maried life. I agree there are some sisters/bothers who are not allowed to get into family life, but with just knowledge of studying in a convent, all I know.In hindu culture whoever opts from bramcharya is not allowed to have s* relationship, perhaps same thing.

BTW - Gay priest itself sound :(, no further comments😊

Edited by raj5000 - 16 years ago

If in Catholicism father of Church and Bishop are supposed to follow abstinence and no marriage then does it matter if they are gay or straight?

As for hormones, it functions the same way for both gay and straight men.

Their job is to preach and perform Church services so as long as they are doing that it should be acceptable.

Around the world, there are about 100 married Catholic priests. Many in the church want to make  a promise not to enter into marriage optional for the clergy, Cos of these move would increase the number of priests and give them a better understanding of family life.

[quote]

Sor Juana Inez de La Cruz.........born in Mexico in the seventeenth century, was the greatest poet the American continent produced. She was a Nun.Among the dozens of works written by this remarkable person was the literary exposition "El Primero Sueo de Sor Juana Ins de la Cruz" (The First Dream of Sor Juana Inez de La Cruz) a monumental work.Readers often ask how could a religious Nun write about love and passion with such ardent fervor? did they dont have such a feelings?

[/quote]

Moderator's Note:
Edited the inappropriate part of the post. Plz refrain from making such posts and plz stick to the actual discussion.

Edited by Barnali - 16 years ago