September-Banned book Month

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Pensive

Goldie

Pensive

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged

hello dears

Do you know september is celebrated as a banned book month?

Celebrating the Freedom to Read is observed during the last week of september through out the world.

You will be surprised to notice that some of your favourite books which are now classic and are essential to a proper library were banned once

And here is their list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 19902000:
http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=bbwlinks&Templat e=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=85714

One of my favourite 'controversial', 'challenged', and downright 'banned' book is To kill a mocking BirdLOL..It's amazing that, even in this day and age, perfectly harmless books like Harry Potter have been challenged and attempted to be suppressed

Neway my question is what are your thoughts on banned books? What kind of books really should be banned? Should any be banned?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "September-Banned book Month" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

madsoul0226

madsoul0226

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged

great topic =]

Neway my question is what are your thoughts on banned books?-i think its ridculously why people ban books. books are suppose to educate people. they bring out different point of view.

serioussly people, if you don't like a certain book, then dont read it!! why rain on someones' parade who must have spent like years writing it!??

What kind of books really should be banned? Should any be banned? -i have to admit, i wish i can ban some books. books that promote racism and double standards.
but im going to stick to my view and say no, no books should be banned. if you dont like certain books, then dont read it!!

btw. most of the books in the top 30, i have read during my high school years. thts pretty ironic. and i kind of like that school are not so controversial on the books part.

Edited by madsoul0226 - 26 September 2007 at 1:15pm

cool_pooja

IF-Sizzlerz

cool_pooja

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angel_wings

Neway my question is what are your thoughts on banned books?

I think they are just controversial however some of the books mentioned are favourites of many people so this proves that the only reason they are in dis list is bec everyone has a different taste!Embarrassed

What kind of books really should be banned?

None actually, bec everyone has a different taste and like to read different books!Embarrassed

Should any be banned?

No bec every book is diffferent and has something new!Embarrassed

Awesome topic!Clap

-misha

IF-Sizzlerz

-misha

Posted: 29 September 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged
Great topic! :P

Neway my question is what are your thoughts on banned books? What kind of books really should be banned? Should any be banned?

I don't think so any books so should be banned, I hope HP isn't on the list, i'l check later....
Al books should have the same respect, because the authors put in a great deal of effort into their books...

-Misha

Pensive

Goldie

Pensive

Posted: 03 October 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged

ya...HP is in the list..though I can't imagine why anyone would want to suppress the Harry Potter books. For all the fantasy books and movies having to do with magic or "witchcraft" that are so popular and actually quite educational, why should people feel offended or worried about Harry Potter? Especially in this day and age, that is the one that baffles me the most....may b its because of witchcraftConfused

I think people have the rights do read what they want, if they don't like it, don't read it.

But  I do not know if books like Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf has gotten banned  from public libraries, but, , do you think most people would defend for Mein Kampf as strongly as with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?(Which was banned once)
Somehow I cannot understand how books like Mark Twain's The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn get banned, yet magazines like Playboy and Penthouse sell at the common convenience store, and immense violence features on basic television and video games.

I think that censorship or basically blaming a book for inciting any sort of violence is an ill-aimed panacea.Sweeping things under the rug doesn't make them go away, the accumulation will just trip you up and come back to haunt you.

brainychild92

IF-Sizzlerz

brainychild92

Posted: 06 October 2007 at 11:51am | IP Logged
banning books are stupid especially hp.. i mean its a children's book helloo!!!

books are to educate people and bring out views so others can try and understnad.. i meana not everyone looks at life theh way i do!!! rite.. so tahts just stupid for those who ban books.. btw if any book should be banned it should be the giver by watshisface.. STUPIDEST BOOK ALIVE!!! but thats only my opinion

(btw i was just kidding about it being banned!!)

sparkling_gems

IF-Rockerz

sparkling_gems

Posted: 07 October 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged
Well in my opinion I dont think banning a book is really a good idea. One should have right to express his/ her views about anything and by banning the book u cant suppress everything, it will be articulated in other way.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top